Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-12, 01:44 PM   #1
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Question On Kistler Magnesium Rods

Been looking into picking up a 6"8" to 7' rod for jerkbaits and have been looking at Med action Kistler magnesiums for sale on here, EBAY and a couple other forums. My question is, are they discontinued or is there problems with them because it seems a lot of folks seem to have them for sale. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Thanks
Old 03-08-12, 05:56 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've used Kistler rods for nine years (exclusively) although not the Magnesiums. The one problem I've always had, but worked around, with the Kistler brand is the inconsistancy between one year of production and the next. They usually were changed in some small way on an annual basis, or are discontinued after only a couple years production. Of all the lines the Magnesium enjoyed several years where the production was fairly consistant unlike the LTA, or the worst example the Argon which survived barely more than a year. That's the background, now to your specific question.

I've purchased a couple Magnesium rods for my nephew - he loves his mags. I've handled them and checked them out and the rods, prior to the 2010, are really nice rods. If you can find one in the lengh/power that you're looking for and it's an '09 or previous year I think you'd be happy with it. I would not recommend the new ones with the full cork handle. Like all Kistlers, IMO, those made in China are not near as good as the older rods that were make in Texas - those rods I thought were really quality rods and still do. The blanks have been changed a couple times and as I said consistancy is a big issue between the year of production, virtually across all the Kislter models.

In the mag you'll be looking for a split girp that will be the fist tip that it's an earlier vintage rod. If you can find an '08 Alton Jones crankbait specific Magnesium, that's a good one and would work well for jerkbaits as well as shallow/medium cranks. If my memory is correct the AJ Mag came in two blanks, a graphite and the other a composite and two lengths, a 6'6" & 7'0". I believe my nephew's is the 7'0" composite model and it is his favorite of the 3 Mags he owns. In '09, I believe the blank was changed yet again and the rod was called the crank, rattle and roll, and from the opinions I've seen it was not as good as any of the AJ's from the previous year.

Will or are they being discontinued? Who knows with Kistler - things there change every couple months it seems. Personally I would not purchase any Kistler "production" rod (this excludes the Zbone which is a semi-custom and the focus of Kistler over the last couple years) after the 2009 model.

This was a long explanation, but if you're thinking of getting a Kistler you need to be aware of the history to make an intelligent choice. The older (and I really think better) rods are getting harder to find. The ones I've seen offered for sale are the newer rods, and I believe part of the reason is due to the lack of consistancy over the years which results in people buying a rod based on previous experience, or the recommendation of those based on the older rods, then finding out the new rods just don't meet expectations.

The sad realization for me, is that the Kistler PRODUCTION rods of today (those made in China) are not near as good as the rods bearing the Kistler name of 2008 and earlier. IMO the decline in the Kistler product started in mid-2009, the transition year from exceptional to average (again, IMO) in the "production" line of rods. Rods produced late in 2009 may not be identical to those produced early in that year, those can be tricky as the production of many of the rods, with the exception of the LTX and possibly the Mag, was transitioned to China throughout the year.

Good hunting, those that have the good ones are likely keeping them, I know I am.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 09:28 PM   #3
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I still have two Graphite Plus made in Texas Kistlers that I am not sure I'll ever part with (unless the price is right LOL)
From right after the California Series (I had one of those I probably should have kept)

Off topic I know..
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 10:15 AM   #4
Bender

I have one Kistler Magnesium, and it must be from the years that boogieman said to avoid. It was the least sensitive rod I have. I was ready to throw it away but decided to cut it apart to see what was wrong with it. Once I cut the handle off I saw that it was not built right and loose paper was used as arbors between the handle and the blank. Now I put a custom handle on it and it is much better, but I still don't use it much.

I used to live just north of you and most of the time I ended up using a MH rod for jerkbaits just because there were so many big pike even though most of the time I prefer a very light Medium. It may be something to keep in mind.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 12:36 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Quote:
I have one Kistler Magnesium, and it must be from the years that boogieman said to avoid. It was the least sensitive rod I have.
I'm not going off again, but that is EXACTLY what irritates the living crap out of me. The brand was one of the best rods you could buy at one time (IMO). Imagine how anglers who started assmebling a locker of rods over a couple years and ran into THAT issue as they were completing their set. It's a darn shame, since the production was moved to China they are no better than a stick off the rack at Walmart - and I thought I would never utter those words. The Kistler reputation, in my mind, wasn't just tarnished - it was blackened. Now, that applies to the "production" rods, I've heard a lot of good things about the Zbone, possibly up to the standard of old. BUT, I would never trust in Kistler to maintain that standard without several years of steady consistancy under his belt. And I'm not going to plop down $400+ either on a "semi-custom rod".

On the Zbone issue, I had Walker Nelson (Wafflejaw) built me a totally custom rod built on a North Fork Composite blank, I'm sure it is the same blank as Kistler uses for the Zbone LE model. It is a fantastic rod, in every way. But, I paid about the same and my rod is built for my hand, has totally custmom wraps and color coordinated to the reel I have on it. Yeah, that's nuts - but it is freakin' nice. To me the two just could not compare the same price. I think there is a point in there, but I'm done. Have a great day.
Old 03-10-12, 02:34 PM   #6
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I'm not going off again, but that is EXACTLY what irritates the living crap out of me.
I didn't mean to aggravate you, just stating my person experience. I know other people around here that have lockers full of LTAs(?) and really love them. I shouldn't have such a knee jerk reaction to one rod I guess. Similar as if I bought a $30 Shimano baitcaster and swore off all Shimanos, except the rod I bought was $130 or $150 or something so I thought it would be similar to other mid-level rods. This is the only rod I have ever cut apart and I was really disappointed to see how it was put together.

I don't understand the Z-Bone. For the rather high price, why not just do exactly what you did and get exactly what you want built?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 02:44 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I hope you didn't misunderstand me - I am not irritated with you or your comment at all. It irritates me so much that Kistler has cheaped his rods to the point now they are mere shadows of what they once were. That individuals, such as your self buy, spend your hard earned money, on a rod that once had a pretty good reputation, and you may have based your decision to buy on that reputation, and are dissapointed and think those of us that have praised Kistler in the past, are NUTS. It irritates me that you wasted your time and money on a rod that is not worthy, and that Kistler himself could care less. Consumers deserve better, than that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.