Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-06, 09:23 AM   #26
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i see. ill experiment and try out different wayt to hold it
Old 07-09-06, 03:32 AM   #27
islandbass

If you're ever seen fly fishing anglers, they "strip" their line with the hand that does not hold the rod. Just keep your bail closed and hold the line in your hand that is not holding the rod. I like to keep my line on my forefinger or between that finger and my thumb.
Old 07-09-06, 03:12 PM   #28
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

When reeling the line in over your finger continuosly water coming off makes your finger wet and your hide soft. Therefore when you set the hook like I do,(most generally cross their eyes for em) I have had mono as well as braid cut my finger almost to the bone. Hurts like the dickens to. Seems to happen easier in the cold months also. But I'll keep on doin it till I take the end of my finger off I guess because I've caught several fish I would have missed otherwise. Another technique in worm fishin is to pull the line with your finger and thumb instead of lifting rod tip or reeling. Feel for bite and release line take up slack and set the hook. If no bite then reel up slack, pull another 8"-12" of line wait for bite and repeat. I think the old timers used to call this technique "stitchin". I've got a tourney partner that still does it and he even fishes his pig-n-jig like this also.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 07:52 PM   #29
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i was watching my fingers today while fishing and I let the line run over my left hand index finger at the first joint, guess I've been doing it so long its standard procedure..
I changed my power pro tonight after we got off the water, it does get limp and lighter like everone said, plus for the first time, I broke off twice
on the bottom, being hung up..other than it digging in to my spool and some eyelet glue, i like it ...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 07:55 PM   #30
crankybait

voila... tried it today. And caught something! A fulke, it was a hard hit, but i still felt it great thru the line.
Old 07-09-06, 09:23 PM   #31
lizardsrule

Well today was a bad day to be having my finger on the line I was fishing tanic water, and was throwing a crank at some limbs along some concrete bridge piling. I had a hit, that about yanked me outa the boat, and just started tearing off drag I have no way on knowing what it was(just imagine if it was a Bass ), but my reccomendation is to watch yourself when fishing places where BIG FISH ROAM, because being as I was using Powerpro you can imagine the slice I now have in my finger I lost the fish rather quickly, I tried to slow it down with the thumb, and it bent both trebbles and came unbuttoned. It was without a doubt the biggest fish I have ever hooked into(this includes a 25lb Baracuda It was sheer excitement for a few brief seconds. I will now have to be more careful when fishing waters where monsters roam

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 07-09-06 at 09:30 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 11:13 PM   #32
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This sounds stupid, I know, but how do you cut your finger on your line? Its never happenned to me but, I dont always hold my line.
Old 07-09-06, 11:18 PM   #33
WTL

PowerPro can easily cut your hand, King, being as thin as it is. Have you ever seen one of those egg slicers that cuts the egg using thin wires? Same thing.

Lizards, I've def. been there. My largest bass from the Florida trip before this past one almost took an inch off my index finger cause that PowerPro just about wrapped itself around the end of that finger when it hit. I was lucky to get away with just a bad papercut. That same fish wrapped around 3 or 4 bullrushes with the line and made a run, cutting the rushes like they had been hit with a sickle.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.