Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-06, 06:39 PM   #1
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8
Default No Spark

I am not getting spark on my merc 20hp its a 1967. What do i need to do???
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 10:51 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you need to get some spark then.

just curious..how many different threads will you be starting on this subject???isn't one enough?

jeez! have some consideration..
Old 06-14-06, 12:15 PM   #3
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya lol i just keep getting mixed answers so im kinda narrowing the search i guess. Sorry lol
Old 06-14-06, 04:15 PM   #4
angelus40
BassFishin.Com Active Member

clean the spark plugs or get new plugs
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 06:33 PM   #5
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

I did new plugs and everything but no spark
Old 06-15-06, 07:18 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Ok now that we have narrowed it down it's time to get dirty. First off you need to get the flywheel off. After that you can access the points. Be careful when removing the flywheel and not damage anything. The points are set at.20. Inspect them to make sure they aren't pitted. The condensers should be okay hopefully. You will have to set both sets. Mak sure the felt wick is in place. If they are you might be able to slightly file themto get back to good surfaces. Replace the flywheel and try again. Just hand tighten the flywheel , you might have to take it off again. This should do the trick and hope it does as they aint cheap and hard to find. After doing this holler back if ya still have problems and we will go deeper.
Old 06-15-06, 09:06 AM   #7
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks ill try that.
Old 06-15-06, 09:58 AM   #8
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok how do we get the fly wheel off. We tried a flywheel puller but we cant get one big enough. All the part stores say its too big. We tried like 4 different ones and they all were too small. Any ways of getting it off without one???
Old 06-16-06, 07:20 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

CAREFULLY AND I MEAN CAREFULLY pry up with 2 pry bars after you have loosened up the flywheel nut to the point that the nut is almost off. You want to be able to hit the nut and not the threads. The upward pressure with a hit from a hammer should do the trick. Soak the area under the nut with a penetrating oil before doing this. If you have no sucess you will have to obtain a flywheel puller. Lemme know how ya do.
Old 06-16-06, 01:50 PM   #10
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks man ill try that out. Im gunna work on it tonight with a buddy so ill let u know how it goes
Old 06-16-06, 02:27 PM   #11
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok we tried that and it wouldnt come off. We also tried to get a flywheel puller and cant find one big enough. What should i do??
Old 06-16-06, 10:14 PM   #12
pig n jig

Are you making love to it, or hitting the damned nut like it needs to be, while the guy is putting hellish pressure with the pry bars ? key word being good prybars, not screwdrivers, or the equivilent of ? They are a S.O.B.sometimes, Pb Blaster sprayed on in different intervals will help.The stuff is the best I have ever used .Sorry for sounding rude, you gotta put some effort in it to pop them loose.Make sure your coils are not cracked.Sometimes the exterior housing will crack on them, or look to see if the waxy looking stuff is not burn't or melted. When you pull the bolt out of them, turn the coil upside down and you will see the yellowish brown waxy looking stuff I am talking about.I doubt it, because you would usually only have 1 coil go bad at a time.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 10:37 PM   #13
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

If you can't get it off that way, try this. This is what we used at the small engine repair shop. Just as Laser was explaining with the crowbars, but use an ALUMINUM hammer and hit the side of the flywheel, staying clear of the magnet side. With adequate pressure applied to the crowbars (or large screwdrivers) a few pings and she should come free.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-06, 06:02 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

When I dont have results with the above advise I actually put the pressure on with the prybars and put a wedge under the wheel in 2 places. Then soak the surrounding area around the nut with a penetrating oil. Let it set for a night and try again. DONT hit the large nut hard enough to ruin the threads and DONT hit the flywheel very hard. There are magnets attached to the under side that if the become dislodged you got a problem. If this all fails go to a outboard mechanics shop and rent or borrow a flywheel puller that is made for Mercs. It has threads on the outside with a bolt that is screwed into the middle to apply the pulling force necessary to pull the flywheel. Let us know how ya do.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.