Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-06, 08:57 AM   #1
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinner baits

ive caught i dont know how many bass i have caught on a spinnerbait. do any of yall that use a trailer hook,does it help you catch more fish?
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 09:06 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I'm not a huge fan of spinner baits, even though it is supposed to be one of the all time "bass baits". But, I do know for a fact, that all the pro's are always suggesting one. I do like buzz baits and I have found that using a trailer hook on them is worth the effort.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 09:49 AM   #3
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i never fish a spinner without one. also here is a little tip.
If you are not fishing heavy cover where you risk getting hung up, flip your trailer hook around, to point in the other direction (down instead of up, when your bait is moving through the water). it works
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 10:07 AM   #4
WarEagle
BassFishin.Com Member

I seldom use one. Not sure why.

WAR
Old 07-05-06, 10:20 AM   #5
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man I never lost a fish on a spinner bait. I have caught fish of all sizes, even ones I thought were way too small to fit on a spinner bait. Unless I was in a tourney or something I wouldn't use one other wise. I don't see a point in it. If mister bass wants that spinner believe me he'll take the whole dam thing.

Robby.
Old 07-05-06, 01:18 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not on spinnerbaits, but I never throw a buzzbait without one.
Old 07-05-06, 01:39 PM   #7
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

I grew up using spinner baits and have never used a trailer hook, however when I do use buzzbaits I always use one.
brandonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 01:51 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Robzilla, i don't understand your point. i mean you said that you wouldn't use one unless you were in a tourney. sounds to me like you know it would help you catch more fish and even when fishing for fun i want to catch all i can. and you also said you have never lost a fish on a spinnerbait, i can't help but think that you have had some miss the bait when they hit it and that is what a trailer hook is all about. and also you said that if he wants it then he will take it, but i believe that not all the fish you catch on a spinnerbait actually want to eat it. it is just a reaction strike. i am a firm believer in trailer hooks and unless i am fishing really thick cover i always have one on and i suggest you try them too. if not sooner or later you will see a huge bass boil on your spinnerbait and he will miss it, then you will wonder what if.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 02:01 PM   #9
flfireman

To ditto a few- buzzbaits always. Spinnerbaits-hardly ever. Im a heavy spinnerbait user, in fact that is probably my most used lure. The problem I see w/ a trailer. I vary my speeds, my depths, my retrieves all the time. I don't want to be changing on/off every time I change. I may cast 20 times and on the 21st decide to let it fall on the bottom and drag it. Where I fish a extra hook could mean a lost lure. My most effective trailer by far is a 4" gold flaked grub. Gives a little more flash, a little more action and something soft, chewy to hold that fishes attention for a second or two more.
Old 07-05-06, 04:21 PM   #10
HOG Ranger

Most of the time on a spinner and almost always on a buzzbait.
Old 07-05-06, 06:19 PM   #11
BigNiner19
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BigNiner19

not on a spinner...I use spinners practically everywhere I fish...seems to be one of the best workin lures for me around these southern parts
BigNiner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 07:51 PM   #12
zooker

blade baits i rarely use a trailer hook. only in very clear water and only if there is NO wind..

always on a buzz bait..

zooker
Old 07-05-06, 07:57 PM   #13
flbassman

Don't use 'em much at all. Always fish a trailer, never a trailer hook... BTW, anybody know where to get those chatterbait trailers? I love em.
Old 07-05-06, 09:23 PM   #14
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

I never fish with one but I will tell you it never hurts to give something new a try. One thing good about them on a spinner is some days when the fish don't strike hard and they just barely grab the spinnerbait, a trailer wouldn't be to bad of an idea. But like most said, I prefer them on buzzbaits.
DelawareBass-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 12:06 AM   #15
ROBZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01
Robzilla, i don't understand your point. i mean you said that you wouldn't use one unless you were in a tourney. sounds to me like you know it would help you catch more fish and even when fishing for fun i want to catch all i can. and you also said you have never lost a fish on a spinnerbait, i can't help but think that you have had some miss the bait when they hit it and that is what a trailer hook is all about. and also you said that if he wants it then he will take it, but i believe that not all the fish you catch on a spinnerbait actually want to eat it. it is just a reaction strike. i am a firm believer in trailer hooks and unless i am fishing really thick cover i always have one on and i suggest you try them too. if not sooner or later you will see a huge bass boil on your spinnerbait and he will miss it, then you will wonder what if.
Like I said I never missed a hit on a spinner bait. Look at pass photos of some of the fish I have posted a big majority of them were caught on spinner baits. Fishing for fun using a trailer is just plain wrong to me. it wraps around the fishes head and does more damage than good. if big and I mean big money was on the line I might consider it.If your missing them on a spinner bait than slow your retrieve down a tad you might catch more fish that way. I'm quite confident in my skill with this bait I don't need to use a what we call a stinger hook with it.
Old 07-06-06, 12:44 AM   #16
ROBZILLA

The big thing with spinner baits is you really got to know how to rig them according on where your fishing, sizes of fish your going after, weight of the bait. style of spinner. type of line tie you put on it. Is it a wired loop or a u shaped or open face spinner? Blades make a big difference on where your fishing pending on which bait fish you trying to mimic. Style and color of skirt, and trailer grub. Do you fish it slow do you bed the wire for an added effect? Because what any body tells you if you use a spinner bait right out of the box sure you'll get a couple of hits. "BUT" make a few adjustments and you'll put a lot more fish in your boat. For you that think fishing is easy* think again really take the time on what that lure is trying to mimic and be like. you understand whats going on around you in the lake and in your tackle box you'll catch more fish. I could go on for ever but that's just the way it is. It's more than just fishing it's science too.

Robby.
Old 07-06-06, 01:04 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Robzilla, i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this. i really don't feel that a trailer hook will do much damage on a fish. and i am also confident in my ability to fish most any bait and especially a spinnerbait, but i just prefer a trailer hook because when they short strike you it is often the difference in catching her or not. and slowing down won't always work for you. if they are hitting it at a certain depth slowing it down may cost you strikes all together. and i know you can spread the arm out to give it more lift but i have also had spinnerbaits get out of tune beyond repair after doing this a lot. and in the summer the faster the better i think. but i didn't mean that as a personal attack i was just stating my opinion.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 01:09 PM   #18
WTL

Just add me to the list of guys who use trailer hooks. Regarding the question of whether or not a trailer can do damage to a fish, the answer is yes....so can lures with multiple sets of treble hooks. We still use those too.
Old 07-06-06, 10:42 PM   #19
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

never throw a buzz without one, but spinnerbaits dont really have the need for one.
Old 07-07-06, 12:57 AM   #20
Skeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
blade baits i rarely use a trailer hook. only in very clear water and only if there is NO wind..

always on a buzz bait..

zooker
Zooker,

Could you clarify the blade baits commnent? I use blade baits heavily in the winter while wlleye fishing and in arly spriong for small mouths and the already equipped with a set of trebly hooks? Just curious.

Skeeter

PS, just before I hit post I did a search at BPS on Blade baits and there was both spinner baits and what I refer to as blade baits. Guess I answered your question for you. Just never new spinners were reffered to as blades.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 04:59 AM   #21
zooker

zooker
Old 07-08-06, 02:13 PM   #22
bassnman30

Reguardless of what KVD says, I don't use a trailer hook on my spinnerbaits unless I'm fishing open water.
When in brush, i.e. lay downs you can rest assured that you'll hang up alot more with a trailer. This is especially true with Titanium wires, they roll over and collapse and expose the hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.