Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-06, 05:15 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default super fluke hookups

i just got some zoom super flukes in baby bass and arkansas shad.i also got some packs of gammy 3/0 extra wide gap and some mustad 3/0 ultra point hooks. i have been fishing it on a 6' 3'' medium heavy fast action im8 rod with 15lb clear trilene big game. i went fishing with it the other day and was slowly twitching it and the line got a little heavy so i set the hook and it was a fish,but i lost her in about 5 seconds.the next day,i missed another nice fish. i am tex -exposing the hook,but cant hook up. i went later that day and finally caught one on it,a 2lb spot. i decided to let him run with it a bit,before setting the hook really hard. does this happen to yall often? i think i just need more pratice,but what do yall do when this happens? thanks in advance!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 05:46 PM   #2
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I usually wait 1.... 2....then set. and I never fish flukes on mono. always braid. In fact I rarely fish anything with mono anymore. out of 13 poles I use on the boat regularly. 2 are spooled with mono...
with braid you can actually not set the hook as hard and still get a good set.
oh and get a 7 foot rod, youd be surprised how much that extra 9 inches matters
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 06:01 PM   #3
Man?orAstroman?
BassFishin.Com Member

Love super flukes, I have only had hits on them so far, no takers. My problem with plastics is I don't set the hook well enough. Well, only hard plastics like the super fluke. You're doing the right thing by leaving a little bit of hook exposed, because with these if you dont, I think its really hard to penetrate the plastic. Just keep trying a hard set a few seconds after they take the bait like mymomisbecky suggests.
Man?orAstroman? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 07:31 PM   #4
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used them for both smallies in the river and lm at the lake.the size of the hook and where you bring it through the bait will really effect your hook-ups.Experiment with differant set-ups.I also slightly skin hook mine and have had little trouble.I fish mine usually on a 7'med spinning outfit and 8#mono.If the fluke doesn't work try the other fluke style baits to find one that will work.berekly and black magic both make excellent baits and i plan on trying the tiki-shadick.Good luck
p.s the fluke also makes a great bait to skip under docks and low limbs.
Old 07-10-06, 07:37 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't let them even have a split second after I feel the tic or see the line move. A couple of things to remember is it takes a pretty good sweeping hook set with the fluke and a really sharp hook, plus the correct size..
I'd go with 3/0 or 4/0 gammy hook, and pay close attention to what the line is doing between twitches..theres no need to wait on the hookset, its the flukes body that makes a hookset a tad dif. than a worm...Ya should have been around when they first came out with the sluggo, a bigger profile plastic jerkbait. Setting the hook and actually getting a fish in your hands was something most of us had to really practise at..these slimmer flukes and finnesse's version, along with tremendously sharper hooks., make it a lot easier...IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 08:05 PM   #6
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've had the same problem before. Chalk it up to a bad day with too small hooks. Next time out, I switched to a 5/0 gammy and really concentrated on rippin some lip, and I did much better.
Old 07-10-06, 09:40 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Rod, already suggested 6' 6" for skipping them, or a 7' Medium Heavy or even a Heavy, line is poor choice for flukes. As already stated Braid or Fused line is the best choice, then Flourocarbon being the second best then last is the rubber band, er uh, I meant mono. The Hook IMO should be a 5/0 Texposer hook. The hooks are sharp, and they have a angled design, which allows for better hooksets. Also if you actually rig the hook, upside down from how all the pics show, then you will only have to get the hook through the skinnier part of the plastic in case you do have to go through the plastic can make a big difference, and to boot I believe the hook on the top better replicates a top fin. Just my thinking on that anyways. As for hooksets, IMO too long the worst case is it's a gut hooking. Bass swallow these things whole, just like shiners. Many times a bass will actually turn the shiner/fluke in their mouth to get it going head first down the gullet.(Has anyone ever seen a nose sticking out of a bass's gullet or have you only seen the tail sticking out?) If the presentation needs to be slow then really watch that line. Most of the hits will be detected by line movement, which could be small, or a heavy feeling on the line. You must get your rod and line in a good hookset position, for a solid hookset. I've been known to have the little fellers come right up at me with my hookset. I actually get a lot of hits, twitching it quickly, and it's more of a reaction, not a feeding thing, but many times theres no doubt you have a bite. The Fluke is well known by many here and other places that if I could only have one bait to fish the rest of my life it would be a fluke( Yeah I know you were expecting me to say something else HUH LOL). My preferred brand Fin-S Fish is located at many fishing locals, or at www.lunkercity.com They also have the 5/0 Texposer hooks. No I don't have any relationship with them, other than they get a lot of MY money ROTFL. A fkuke is just too good not to fish consistantly, even for the power fisherman. A c-rig fluke can also be a killer. Twitching it quickly through weeds, and even on top of the weeds mat can and will elicit some awesome eruptions from your prey. When fishing it this way, make sure to fish it like a frog, wait till you feel the fish before setting the hook, they do miss sometimes, so wait a few seconds and continue the retrieve as usual if no fish. You very well may get another blow up on the way back to the boat. These are just some of the things I do while fluke fishing, putting scent on it is another, can't hurt anyways. Make sure those hooks are sharp, and keep a hook sharpner handy.

Lizards
Old 07-10-06, 11:46 PM   #8
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've never used Super Flukes before, but if I wasnt getting a good hookset I would do two things: 1- Sharpen my hooks, not all hooks come sharp out of the package, 2-Boil my baits until they are softer, although this might fade the baits the slightest bit, it will help tremendously on the hookset

Oh and remember to cross 'er eyes on the hookset!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.