Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-09, 01:19 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ready to go fishing and I can't

I have recently moved to Prattville and have unboxed almost everything so I won't feel guilty about going fishing. The problem I have is that I have lost my fishing license in the move. I would go run to Wally World or BPS and get another one for ~$20 but they are not renewed yearly from their purchase date like they used to be. I would have to renew it again Sept. 1. I don't want to chance getting a ticket without a license, so I have to wait a little over a week before I can go fishing.

Below is a link of where I live compared to the public bodies of water that I can fish. Cooter's Pond is only 2.5 miles from my apartment. I'm so frustrated.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 01:35 PM   #2
woody

I wouldn't risk getting caught either.

When fishing Private Property from my home state of Indiana, fishing licenses are not required. Maybe for the time being you can fish from someones private pond, with permission of course.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 01:36 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fishn...does Alabama have their fishing licenses available online? Indiana does, and I save a copy of mine to my hard drive. I actually print out multiple copies of it...one to keep in my wallet, one in my boat, one in my truck, etc. You never know when you are going to lose it, right?
Old 08-24-09, 02:06 PM   #4
JB

i do the same nofear,or photoshop a new copy LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 02:09 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

Or can they make a new copy for you? I think in MS a duplicate is like $5. But I think they have to mail it to you, so it might not be worth it for just a couple days of fishing.
Old 08-24-09, 02:30 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I wouldn't pay 20 bucks if it ends sept 1st.... my ohio one doesn't end until feb28 and my michigan until march 31.

You only got a week left, hang in there.

BB
Old 08-24-09, 02:33 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Fishn...does Alabama have their fishing licenses available online? Indiana does, and I save a copy of mine to my hard drive. I actually print out multiple copies of it...one to keep in my wallet, one in my boat, one in my truck, etc. You never know when you are going to lose it, right?
They only have the lifetime fishing licenses online.
I like the idea of scanning it in and saving it on the computer. Looks like I'll just fish my boss' private pond until Sept. 1st. I want to save up and by the lifetime Alabama license (I think it is around $200) but I have too many other priority purchases in front of that one.
Old 08-24-09, 04:35 PM   #8
woody

FnG, I would buy one of those Lifetime Licenses while you still can. Unfortunately, here in Indiana, they are no longer offered.

~Mark
Old 08-24-09, 04:44 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
They only have the lifetime fishing licenses online.
I like the idea of scanning it in and saving it on the computer. Looks like I'll just fish my boss' private pond until Sept. 1st. I want to save up and by the lifetime Alabama license (I think it is around $200) but I have too many other priority purchases in front of that one.
for 200 i would jump on it!!!..i think they're $800 in TX
Old 08-24-09, 05:09 PM   #10
Bassboss

Wow! Cooters pond has a lot of lay downs to pitch a jig, as does that river/canal south of it!

Bummer man, I'd be melting to if I was you. Try to see if there are any privet bodies of water and do like woody said.
Old 08-24-09, 05:14 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
FnG, I would buy one of those Lifetime Licenses while you still can. Unfortunately, here in Indiana, they are no longer offered.

~Mark
Haha, Woody. Frankly, for what the lifetime licenses used to cost, I'm too old for it to make sense anymore. In Indiana fishing is free once you hit 65.

And honestly, I know a lifetime license is a nice way to show our kids and grandkids we love them, but financially, it's a HORRIBLE thing.

One only has to do a little basic math to destroy the "genius" of lifetime licenses.

If the rate of return of a mutual fund is 8% (the historical average), the annual return on $400 (arbitrary number) should be $32. So, if your yearly license cost less than 0.08 times the yearly one, the yearly license is a rip-off. Put the extra in your pocket or feed the bait monkey. Don't get ripped off by the state.
Old 08-24-09, 07:27 PM   #12
cassidyta

NoFear. I think there is one problem with your math. You are doing it with the assumption that the cost of an annual license is constant. I believe that in the long run, it does save money. Of course, this will also stir the debate of the value of say $10 in 10 years.

I actually want to get one for my state, but the cost is more than I am willing to absorb at this paoint.
Old 08-24-09, 07:29 PM   #13
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Haha, Woody. Frankly, for what the lifetime licenses used to cost, I'm too old for it to make sense anymore. In Indiana fishing is free once you hit 65.

And honestly, I know a lifetime license is a nice way to show our kids and grandkids we love them, but financially, it's a HORRIBLE thing.

One only has to do a little basic math to destroy the "genius" of lifetime licenses.

If the rate of return of a mutual fund is 8% (the historical average), the annual return on $400 (arbitrary number) should be $32. So, if your yearly license cost less than 0.08 times the yearly one, the yearly license is a rip-off. Put the extra in your pocket or feed the bait monkey. Don't get ripped off by the state.
You wont catch me arguing math, with a Rose Hulman School of Engineering grad.

~Mark
Old 08-24-09, 08:42 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Actually, I'm a Rose Hulman School of Engineering drop-out ROFL.

I was 19, and basically, hot chicks who were ready, willing, and able to give it up to rock stars were much more interesting to me than differential equations. Go figure. At that point, I had no idea how crappy the retirement plan is for musicians.

I graduated from another school heh.
Old 08-24-09, 08:51 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
NoFear. I think there is one problem with your math. You are doing it with the assumption that the cost of an annual license is constant.
My position has no interest if the value is constant or not. Nothing changes. If the price goes up with inflation (a safe bet), so will the price of everything else, including my services and salary. At that time, the rate of return will ostensibly still be 8%, at which point, we can just re-evaluate which is more cost-effective.

If you believe the price of a fishing license will go up much more than inflation, or you don't plan on ever making more than you do now...then your position is a valid one. Those things are definitely possible.

I will throw one more variable into the mix though. These days, a lot of people are moving out of their home state for work, fun, better lifestyle, etc. A lifetime license is a huge waste if little Johnny marries a girl from California and she talks him into moving there when he's 25.
Old 08-24-09, 08:52 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Oh wait, Cassidy ROFL...you're already in California, so change my previous post to New York.

And by the way, Cassidy...in your state, I could actually see some environmentalist wackos managing to get the fishing license price raised out of whack to save the sweet little fishies, so yeah, you may be right there.
Old 08-24-09, 09:27 PM   #17
bamabassman

f&g, did you buy your liscense at wall mart? if so, jsut go and get another copy made. they will have it on file, in their computer system, and will run you another copy for free (if i remember correctly). lisa lost hers once last year and we did this.
Old 08-25-09, 12:35 AM   #18
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
f&g, did you buy your liscense at wall mart? if so, jsut go and get another copy made. they will have it on file, in their computer system, and will run you another copy for free (if i remember correctly). lisa lost hers once last year and we did this.
I can't remember. I'll just wait until Sept. 1st. I'm going to make several copies and laminate them and put one in the glove box, one in the tackle box, one in the wallet, and one tied to my little boat. Which reminds me, I have to register my inflatable pontoon boat since I have a trolling motor on it now.
Old 08-25-09, 02:32 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Wow! Cooters pond has a lot of lay downs to pitch a jig, as does that river/canal south of it!
Dumb questions here but -
What do you mean "lay downs"?
And how can you see that in the aerial?
Old 08-25-09, 02:46 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Dumb questions here but -
What do you mean "lay downs"?
And how can you see that in the aerial?
A lay down is just a fancy way of saying "fallen tree."

If you click on the button at the top of the map screen that says "Bird's Eye," you'll get pictures taken from airplanes or helicopters that show a lot more detail than the satellite photos.
Old 08-25-09, 02:52 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
A lay down is just a fancy way of saying "fallen tree."

If you click on the button at the top of the map screen that says "Bird's Eye," you'll get pictures taken from airplanes or helicopters that show a lot more detail than the satellite photos.
Yeah, I know about the birds eye thing. That is really great.
I just didn't know what he meant by lay down. I thought he might be talking about the pond/river bottom. One of my next purchases (since there are some rather large bodies of water down here) is going to be a depth finder. I have that little boat and plan on sticking close to the edges but I may get a little "ballsy" at times and head out into "open" water....lol. I will definitely have safety yellow or orange on and probably and tall flag to alert the bigger bass boats.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.