Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-11, 08:53 PM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Baitcast Reel

Just got my B Ascher custom rod on G Loomis blank. It is heavy action for 12-20# line and 6-10 long. I would like a really special reel for it. I know all of you know more about reels than I do. What reel would you recommend for this rod. Probably try to throw swimbaits, crankbaits, big jigs and anything else I have on it. Thanks
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:14 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That rod isn't exactly ideal for crankbaits, it's going to be a little on the heavy side. Not saying that you can't throw crankbaits on it though, if that's the only crankbait rod you have then go for it but generally speaking the best cranking sticks out there are going to be medium or medium heavy. If I was going to try and pick just one line cover all those applications I would use a good quality flourocarbon line like Seaguar AbrazX or InvizX in 12lb test. It's a little lighter line than what I throw my jigs on but it will still work.
Old 02-05-11, 10:08 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Might help if you would share with us what kinda price range you would like to stay in. There are great reels at all price points.
Old 02-05-11, 11:02 PM   #4
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For this rod would be willing to spend $300-$350 tops. Was thinking about Revo Toro or Revo Premier

Last edited by mike234; 02-05-11 at 11:13 PM.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 11:16 PM   #5
Jrob78

You are going to get lots of opinions. In that price range you can get a great reel from any of the major manufacturers. My vote goes to the Daiwa Zillion. A Zillion with a 6.3:1 gear ratio, paired with your new rod, would make a sweet jig set up.

Go in the store and handle as many reels as you can, put them on a rod and see what feels best to you. Reels in the $300 price range should all perform well, it really just comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-05-11 at 11:27 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 11:27 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
You are going to get lots of opinions. In that price range you can get a great reel from any of the major manufacturers. My vote goes to the Daiwa Zillion. A Zillion with a 6.3:1 gear ratio paired with your new rod would make a sweet jig set up.
x2

For the price, I love the Zillions (although the price went up AGAIN). For jig fishing, I like a 7:1 retrieve, but a 6:1 will work fine. The Daiwa Viento is still on sale at TW for $90 (RH only). It's a STEAL at that price. I was actually trying to talk myself into another one when they sold out of the lefties... It will also work good for worms, jigs, small swimbaits (since that rod wouldn't throw big swimbaits anyways), etc.

For a bit more (like $10 now) you can get a Shimano Chronarch 100D7. I haven't used one, but I've heard they're good reels.

Like mention in above posts, I wouldn't use this rod for crankbait fishing. I prefer more of a MF or M action than the standard F or XF jig/worm rod.

BB
Old 02-06-11, 12:14 AM   #7
Tavery5

On the upper end of your budget, I would look at the Shimano Calais, or the JDM equivilant the Antares. There are allot of great reels that fall into the upper middle part of your budget, I would look at reels like ABU Garcia Premier, Pflueger President XT, the new Lew's Team Lews might be worth a look also. With the money you are willing to spend, you have allot of choices.
Old 02-06-11, 12:46 AM   #8
Bender

I'd have to go with a Shimano Core. While I don't have one, I do have a lot of other Shimano reels as well as a couple Zillions. I have played with the Core out on the water once and if I had $350-370 burning a hole in my pocket that's where it would go.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.