Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-06, 05:26 AM   #1
abarker
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to abarker
Default BaitCasters

Hey all. new to forum and fairly new to fishing. I have really gotten into fishing the last 2 years. I have been looking to buy a bait caster. I have heard some pros and cons from a few people I know. Wanted to get some more opinions before buying one. Are they really that hard to use? Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Arthur
abarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 06:35 AM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i wanted to throw my first baitcaster in the lake.that said,now i prefer them over spinning rods.i think pflueger makes the best reels for the $.i own 3 trion rounds and a president.if you get a baitcaster make sure ithas an aluminum frame.iwould tell you the same thing with a spinning reel.the graphite frames flex to much and misalign parts.here's what i suggest.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...331&hasJS=true

Old 01-20-06, 07:04 AM   #3
KenDammit

I think I'm one of the different ones, but I don't think that a baitcaster is hard to learn at all. To learn some of the different techniques, it can possibly be hard, but to just do an overhand cast, its fairly simple and straightforward. Don't be afraid to use the spool tension and brakes and then back off as necessary. The "hard" part about using a baitcaster is just knowing when and how to thumb the spool and teaching yourself to not try and cast too hard.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 10:41 AM   #4
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here is how I got introduced into baitcasting

First year of bassin, apprx 3 year ago I saw a guy talkin about a baitcaster on a tv show. Decided to buy one. Well I got pissed of tryin to learn how to use one, and decided I would take it back, and get a spinner. Later that summer wanted to get another caster. A better one. I got a mitchell copperhead combo. Great combo. Was casting like a pro on my first try. Now I have a second caster. I like them alot, but not as much as a spinner. Once I get my own boat, then I will be purchasing many more casters.
Old 01-20-06, 11:02 AM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Default Baitcastin'

abarker, last year was my first season with a baitcaster. I will tell you that using a baitcaster will take some practice. Here are some suggestions:

1) Spend the money and buy a decent baitcast reel I have a Chronarch and am very happy with the quality and features.

2) Don't wait until you are at the lake to practice your cast. Experiment in your backyard. One thing you will want to do is set the brakes (pull the little pins up to engage). Then adjust the tension knob. Once things are in sync with the lure you are throwing, you won't have too many backlashes. As you get better, you can push in some more brake pins (thus disengaging some of the brakes).

3) String up with at least 10 or 12 pound test. If you go light on the line it will be hard to pick out the backlashes (which will happen, at least initially)

4) All things considered, I think baitcasters have a place in your fishing arsenal. Now that I seem to have the casting down, I am trying to find the right rods for throwing tubes and stickbaits versus cranks and spinnerbaits. For me, fishing is an ongoing learning process.

Best of luck! Wishing to be fishing
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 11:23 AM   #6
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

A buddy of mine found a nice Quantum Energy in the garbage once. There was nothing wrong with it. I think the buyer of it couldn't get the hang of it and tossed it. My buddy had never used one either. It's my friend's favorite reel now.

Ive heard that by not spooling them within a 16th of an inch while geting used to them can help, I guess that way you won't lose too much line when the backlash nicks the line severely.
Old 01-20-06, 02:34 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been using them for years. I started using a Bass Pro Shops Extreme reel a few years back and now they are all I use-a good reel at a great price, especially when they are on sale. Regardless of what you decide on, here is a great site that will advance the learning curve and get you pointed in the right direction:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm
Old 01-20-06, 02:53 PM   #8
bigbob
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i like them also
Old 01-20-06, 02:57 PM   #9
lonestarboater

Send a message via AIM to lonestarboater Send a message via Yahoo to lonestarboater

Yeah about a year and a half ago I listened to Rebbasser's advice and I got a BPS extreme baitcasting reel. I love that thing.
Old 01-20-06, 03:04 PM   #10
scrap

rebasser, thanks for the link to the page to learn how to cast, my first experiences with baitcasters were dismal. perhaps i can learn something new this year. thanks
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 04:28 PM   #11
zooker

wishin
backlashes happen to EVERY BODY.. get use to them they are a fact of life when using a baitcaster. kinda like standing in the rain sooner or later you are bound to get wet..

zooker
Old 01-20-06, 04:53 PM   #12
JB

And granted, as you fish more and more, you know when you're pressing your luck but not putting the right amount of pressure on the spool with your thumb. I seem to do it about 5-10 casts after landing a fish, and not concentrating enough.
Even tho we get years under your belt baitcasting, the backlashes ted to more often than not just a couple of loops around the spool are loose. I got into the habit of pulling out line by hand a foot or so after most pitches. Sometimes if I see the line isn't really tight after a cast with a spinner or crankbait, I'll pull some line out to make sure it all wraps tight for the next cast.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 05:06 PM   #13
skeeter944

i learned how to use a baitcaster about a year ago and love 'em.they are fairly easy to learn,but,just like all other types of fishing,they take practice.try bying a zebco rhino.they are a good beginner reel at a good price,so you wont be angry that you spent 200$ on a combo you cant use or dont like. hope this helps!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 06:44 PM   #14
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

i learned a baitcaster before i ever bass fished. the first time i went out, i could use y baitcaster. I also took rebs advice and i just bought a bps extreme on sale for $50. I think im hooked on em now, very smooth, high quality reel for a very good price. that what i recommend.
Old 01-20-06, 07:46 PM   #15
lonestarboater

Send a message via AIM to lonestarboater Send a message via Yahoo to lonestarboater

The BPS rods and reels are of very good quality. I've had no problems with mine. Thanks Rebbasser for showing me the wonders of BPS.
Old 01-20-06, 09:43 PM   #16
NCYankee

I can't say much more than has been said. I have been using a bait caster for about 6 months. I started with a BPS extreme and recently bought a Quantum Accurist PT. Using thicker line to start really does help when it comes to picking out backlashes. The basic overhand and sidearm casts are relatively easy. It's the flippin and pitchin that takes some practice.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 10:10 PM   #17
texasnitro

quantom pt accurist is a super great reel. if u wanna spend the cash get a shimano curado 100d. that thing is super nice and is so smooth when u cast it
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 12:50 AM   #18
abarker
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to abarker

Thanks to all. I will be checking that link here shortly.
abarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 04:59 PM   #19
zooker

hey yankee
spend some time on the tail gate of your pick up.. i did. took 3 hours had pitching down... still can't make my flip go in queitly for some reason.. best hands down way to learn pitchin is watch vandams video..he explains it IN DETAIL with out trying to sell you any thing..

zooker
Old 01-21-06, 05:00 PM   #20
PowerBass

I can flip accuratley but not quietly. Go fig..
Old 01-21-06, 11:20 PM   #21
Fishie

Been fishing a caster since about 7 years old. First reel was a eagle claw cheapo then a shimano corsair. I recommend you fish cranks first on the reel cause they tend to throw well get some bigger ones to throw. Backlashes happen to everyone at some time. Usually get one every 12 days or so.
Old 01-22-06, 12:23 AM   #22
basstech

I get 'em more often now than when I was young. Had overall better casting skills when I was young. Don't know what happened.
Old 01-22-06, 08:05 AM   #23
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

look at the bright side..the more backlashes you get the better you become at picking them out
Old 01-22-06, 08:10 AM   #24
zooker

lmao
yep still got one saturday cause i forgot to check the reel mag setting. doh!!! it went big knocking the reel out of use. i switched reels and continued on..

zooker
Old 01-22-06, 08:14 AM   #25
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech
I get 'em more often now than when I was young. Had overall better casting skills when I was young. Don't know what happened.

It is called the thumb goes retarded.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.