Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-06, 06:42 PM   #1
fatdirtycat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Baitcaster or Spinner?

Guys,
Whats the difference between the baitcaster and the spinner, why would you use one over the other? Also, what kind of strength rod to use when bass fishing? Ive alway heard you need to use a medium heavy rod, but the local sports store has loads of medium action.
Old 02-19-06, 09:03 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdirtycat
Guys,
Whats the difference between the baitcaster and the spinner, why would you use one over the other? Also, what kind of strength rod to use when bass fishing? Ive alway heard you need to use a medium heavy rod, but the local sports store has loads of medium action.
A baitcaster can handle heavier lines much better than a spinning reel. To a large extent, it's a matter of personal preference. I use spinning gear. As to the need for a medium heavy rod, that's not true as a generalization. A medium heavy might be the ticket for some conditions, while, say, a medium light might be good for others. I have found that a 6'6" medium power, fast action rod works very well for general purpose bass fishing and will handle a large variety of baits to my satisfaction.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 09:41 PM   #3
bass kicker

spinning gear TENDS to be for finess and baitcasting tends to be for heavier styles of fishing
Old 02-19-06, 09:57 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bull-oney to all the crap. You can use spinning gear for heavy fishing, especially with the superlines they have nowadays. I use both, and like both. I however would say that pitchin/flippin definately would go to the baitcaster. The weightless plastics go to the spinning rod, especially skipping them. Other than that, whatever you want to use is fine. My persoanl preference is for heavier gear, such as Medium Heavy or Heavy, except for Crankbaiting. I use a Medium for that. Use whatever YOU like, who cares as long as your comfortable, and are catching fish

Lizards
Old 02-19-06, 10:12 PM   #5
bass kicker

that is why i said TENDS in capitols it is all personal prefrence
Old 03-08-06, 02:17 AM   #6
LoneStarAngler07
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

personal preference...but i usually use spinning gear...cause i always have a problem with backlash when i use baitcast.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.