Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-08, 04:11 PM   #26
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

spinner baits it is just the weight of the head i belive the blades and what not add to the total weight of it as far as crankbaits i've never looked that far into them but for baits that light you might want to go with a medium/ light rod for the 1/8 oz
Old 06-30-08, 04:13 PM   #27
islandbass

I assume that it does and should. Hopefully someone has a kitchen or mail scale and can confirm this.

There aren't too many bc reels that can cast 1/8 lures too well and if they can, not too far, maybe 50'. If you needed to, the only reels that come to mind are the Pixy or the Chronarch Mg in the LP realm. I hear conquest 50s kick fanny but that is hearsay on my part.
Old 06-30-08, 05:50 PM   #28
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Ok, guys, I've deicided what I'm going to do...

Take my 7' MH and buy the new Winch for deep baits like the Fat Free Shad and DD22's. Does this reel have magnetic or centrifugal breaking? I can't really see either in the picrure. I really seem to cast bettwer with the magnetic reels though.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...UGAR-AGRW.html

For lighter cranks, I'm going to buy that G Loomis and get a different reel, probably the Daiwa SOL, because it has a 5.8:1 gear ratio. Not too fast for small cranks, but fast enough to burn them.

With that said, I'm selling my Citica. First offer closest to $60.00 gets it shipped with new 10 lb. Spiderwire XXX Super Mono.
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 07:00 PM   #29
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

get rid of the spider wire it is a flippin line. big, fat, hulking no castin trash... get some cajun red and you will see the differance..

i would not use a g-stick for cranks EVER they are way to sensitive and WAY WAY too fast action..

you want a slow stick i like lews speed stick if ya can find them. a american rodsmith probly be the best bet..light baits use a medium..

a pinnacle 100 is a light bait slinger..

zooker
Old 06-30-08, 10:41 PM   #30
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
a pinnacle 100 is a light bait slinger..

zooker
thought i was messing with you about the pinnacle buzz , go wally world they are like 39.99 you won't regret it and if you do you could send me the reel
Old 06-30-08, 10:42 PM   #31
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Falcon makes a 7' M rod that is Moderate action. Perfect for cranks like that.

I agree with Zook on the Loomis, it has way better uses than crankin, which frankly, an ugly stik could do. Or you could go with a ML rod whihc makes up for hainvg a faster action. BPS also makes a crankin stik, but I'm beginning to not like the powerhumpgrip thingy so much... I prefer the feel of the straight handle on the G-Loomis my dad bought.

BB
Old 06-30-08, 10:48 PM   #32
Buzz Wing

Thanks, guys.

What do you thibk of the Winch for bigger baits though? Perfect gear ratio, right? Pretty good price as well.

Old 06-30-08, 10:50 PM   #33
BigBassin144

The winch looks like a great reel, just a bit overpriced IMO.

BB
Old 07-01-08, 12:46 AM   #34
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Buzz you should really look into the Fritts reel for deeper cranking. Far casting and at a fair price.
Old 07-01-08, 12:48 AM   #35
Jim80

buzzy you sound like your stuck on the winch buddy why not just get it and i am sure you will find the right thing to use it for .
Old 07-01-08, 01:15 AM   #36
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
t distance comes from the fritts reels.. the brakes are set roughly medium, the tension is sloppy loose,drag is barely more than needed for a hook set...

zooker

Zook, what amount of drag should be applied when fishing cranks shallow? deep?

-stevo

Last edited by stevomac59; 07-01-08 at 12:57 PM.
stevomac59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 08:03 AM   #37
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post

Also, on my Daiwa Fuego L, (left hand), does it have magnetic brakes such as the Citica's and Pflueger Supreme's have? You know, those little caps you pop in and out. Does this reel have that? Just wondering because I don't see a door or a button like my other reels have.

Thanks...
BuZZZZZZZ,

Those are not magnetic brakes.They are centrifugal brakes, much like the governers on old steam engines (Ever heard the term "Running balls out," That doesn't refer to your two little buddies.)
When you "pop" one out it is free to travel outward on it's wire shaft and apply braking pressure between the spool and the flat metal facing same, thus slowing the spool. Magnetic brakes (See: Diawa MagForce) operate in a different manner, the dial being used to control exposure of the magnets in the sideplate to the magnets on the side of the spool. When you "pop" one of the CENTRIFUGAL weights in, you prevent it from traveling so it cannot come into play during the cast.
You may have noticed that a lipless crank, such as a Rat'LTrap or Diamond Shad, causes fewer backlashes than a billed crank of the same or even heavier weight. Well, that because of differences in aerodynamic characteristics and something called "Sectional Density", a term usually mentioned when referring to bullets.
When using reels, such as Shimanos, that employ the centrifugal braking system, I try to coordinate the setting of the cast control knob and the settings of the weights so that the six weights (in Shimanos, anyway) are configured "3 in. 3 out." These settings will vary with changes in lure weight, lure "ballistics", and conditions. Only trial, error, and experience will cure the problem, as well as timely reel maintenance.
Ideally, you should NOT have to thumb the spool until A: The lure is inches from "touchdown" or B: When a facing wind begins to cause the lure to slow down more rapidly than normal. (Why do you think they make lures like the "Little George"?)
Never, evAr, do the "thumb on, thumb off" number during a cast. Unless you are superskilled or, more likely, superlucky, you'll win a brand new backlash every time unless you are casting downwind in a 40MPH breeze.
Hope this helps.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 08:51 AM   #38
BassAddict

I fish a lot of small cranks and I fish them on a BPS ML Cranking Stick with an Extreme 5.4:1 reel with 10-12 lb XPS Fluorocarbon line. I love this setup! I can throw a crankbait a mile with this setup too.
Old 07-01-08, 09:14 AM   #39
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
This is what's wrong with these new fangled sissies these days. They don't know how to act with out there modern reels. Go fish with a reel like that for a month. It'll make a man out of yeahh. This is how i mastered feathoring a spool. Touch is every thing.
Yo go lilmo! Lilmo knows how to show dexterity in his post. wtg Lilmo . lol
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 09:24 AM   #40
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I fish a lot of small cranks and I fish them on a BPS ML Cranking Stick with an Extreme 5.4:1 reel with 10-12 lb XPS Fluorocarbon line. I love this setup! I can throw a crankbait a mile with this setup too.
Hey thanks eric,
I've been looking around for a new set up for light lures, and I hate spinning gear, this looks SWEET!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 12:54 PM   #41
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpMan View Post
Yo go lilmo! Lilmo knows how to show dexterity in his post. wtg Lilmo . lol
Your welcome Carp!!! Now where is my Bowfishing Rig!!!! I just get grumpy when i here about people fishing that don't know how to feathor a spool. Back in Baitcasting 101 thatz just the basics of using a baitcaster.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 01:49 PM   #42
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Your welcome Carp!!! Now where is my Bowfishing Rig!!!! I just get grumpy when i here about people fishing that don't know how to feathor a spool. Back in Baitcasting 101 thatz just the basics of using a baitcaster.
always a trip moose always a trip
Old 07-01-08, 04:46 PM   #43
doc

Insert witty adding to the collection comment here
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 05:36 PM   #44
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Falcon makes a 7' M rod that is Moderate action. Perfect for cranks like that.

I agree with Zook on the Loomis, it has way better uses than crankin, which frankly, an ugly stik could do. Or you could go with a ML rod whihc makes up for hainvg a faster action. BPS also makes a crankin stik, but I'm beginning to not like the powerhumpgrip thingy so much... I prefer the feel of the straight handle on the G-Loomis my dad bought.
BB
i knowed thar was some reason i liked dis guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
Zook, what amount of drag should be applied when fishing cranks shallow? deep?
stevo
as lil as you can possably get away with and no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
Buzz you should really look into the Fritts reel for deeper cranking. Far casting and at a fair price.
i have both the fritts reel and a winch prefure the fritts reel...

zooker
Old 07-01-08, 10:25 PM   #45
Buzz Wing

Can I get a link for the Fritts reel, guys? I can't really seem to find it.

Also, what type of braking does the new Winch have? I can't seem to see magnetic or centrifiugal brakes.

I'm ordering the reel Friday and would like to know the total low down on both.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-08, 10:30 PM   #46
BigBassin144

The winch has centrifugal. I like the centrifugal better because it seems to control backlash a bit better, but Magentic brakes are so much easier to change.

BB
Old 07-01-08, 10:34 PM   #47
Buzz Wing

Cool, thanks, Big.

Also, does the David Fritts reel come in lefty? All I can seem to find is right, and they don't designate a left anywhere!
Old 07-01-08, 10:51 PM   #48
mariner

thats right buzz, all i could find for ya they were all rightys
Old 07-02-08, 01:33 AM   #49
senko

Fritts: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1

Winch: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...UGAR-AGRW.html

Yeah sorry Buzz the Fritts is righty only. Forgot you liked southpaws... Guess that kinda makes the decision for you, eh?
Old 07-02-08, 08:24 AM   #50
Jim80

just get used to reeling righty problem solved

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.