Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-08, 06:22 AM   #1
LedZepp81
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bass memory

I have wondered this for awhile and just searched the web and this forum, but can't find an answer. What kind of memory do bass have?

Thanks
LedZepp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 09:57 AM   #2
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

i heard about 45min then they forget.i read that in doug hannon book.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 10:34 AM   #3
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think they can remember a little longer than that. Saw the video of the guy and his daughter who trained their goldfish to do tricks. Can't do that if they forget after 45 minutes.
Old 07-29-08, 10:53 AM   #4
Lilmoosecountry

This why i harp on every body throwing the same type swimbaits. Or the same of anything in high pressure envoirments bass develop lock jaw. Why is that because they have memory. That's why i am alway's looking for somthing new. Or looking back at old techniques & lures no longer used. because they come new again in a high pressure fishing eviorment. Baits end up not looking familair to bass. That comes from developed memory. Picture yourself as a bass constantly looking at the same bait day after day. What would your reaction be. Now after you consider that. What would it be if something new came by that looked real. As a bass your reaction would be differrent. Always think like a fish!!!
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 11:23 AM   #5
doc

I think I remeber reading somewhere that the reason bass consistently eat plastic worms is that the lure is round with no defining shapes to remeber and associate with a bad experience.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 11:30 AM   #6
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree Moose. Not really bragging but I do pretty good out here in the midwest. I do better than I did when I fished Ohio and West Virginia, which is where I am from. I use a lot of things that are popular there and not so much here. I think it's because I throw stuff that they don't see a lot.
Classic case. There is a 2 acre pond behind a Kmart in a apartment complex. I fish it some as it is 3 minutes from my house. When I have a hour to kill it is where I go.
It does get some pressure from people who live there. Every person seems to through double bladed spinners, Texas Rigged worms and Rapala Cranks. Most of these guys compalin that it used to be full of nice bass but no more.
I have been going over and using Kelly Worms, AC Shiners, & other baits that do not get used there. I always catch a few bass there even when other guys aren't doing as well. My personal theory is that they are baits that they have never seen.
I travel quite a bit for my job and I always stop by small local bait shops if I have time and ask for local baits. I find some interesting and good stuff sometimes.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 01:12 PM   #7
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i read a book where someone caught the same 6 pound bass almost everyday for a year on the same lure in the same place in this farm pond but he never caught it twice the same day
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 02:50 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Guys guys let try to field this question..

Male bass have a 10 second memory..
Female bass can remember up to one week...

This holds true in humans as well.

"Honey have you seen my socks?"

Capt Mike
Old 07-29-08, 03:58 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

I agree mike very much. But i believe you extend that memory. Public lakes people always hit points. You fish it then leave. 5 mins later i come. Then i leave and some one else comes. And so on and so on. In lets say a 16 hr peroid how many times did that fish see the same lure. When you think like that. It's amazed that fish bite at all.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.