Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-06, 08:07 PM   #1
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default fishing topwater in the winter.

i never hear about using top water lures in the cold or just when the bite is slow. i know in the cold the bass go deep but ya think you can draw them up, just wondering what you think in genral on using top water when the bite is slow.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 08:12 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

the topwater bite has been "okay" around here.
been getting them on walk the dog style scum frogs.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 08:18 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

not only do fish go deeper in cold water but they really slow down as well, not just the bite but as a general rule they won't be as aggresive towards faster moving prey. i have heard quite a bit on winter topwater but never really tried it myself because i have more confidence in slower and deeper presentations such as a suspending jerk bait using long pauses or a jig n pig ( in cold water a pork trailer will give better results than plastic). but as for drawing fish up from deep water it can be done. i don't know how they can prove it but guides on table rock swear a bass will come up from 30 feet of water to eat a spook. just my 2 cents worth but i am sure some other guys on here can give good advice.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 08:38 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In cold weather the bass aren't as aggressive as the warm water months. The bass wants an easy meal. A lure like a slow moving jig or a suspended jerkbait will normally get you more bites. I always have a topwater bait rigged up though. You can never know when that big ol' bass is lookin' for some surface action.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 08:45 PM   #5
Marty

Conventional wisdom says that topwater is most effective in warmer water and lower light, and topwaters would be far from my first choice in colder water. However, bass and other species often don't behave like the book says they should. So the bottom line is that I wouldn't hesitate to use an unconventional technique if the conventional ones aren't producing.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 09:23 PM   #6
bubba bass bigfoot

I figured it would suck in the winter, b/c the bass are sluggish, but just wondering. thanks.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 12:25 AM   #7
skeeter944

try a buzzbait in early spring/late winter,it will catch some giants!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 08:01 PM   #8
Vabass22

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
the topwater bite has been "okay" around here.
been getting them on walk the dog style scum frogs.
Yeah, but what are the temps, mid 60s! 19 degrees on the way to basketball this morning! brrrrrrrr
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 09:41 PM   #9
Rebbasser

bbb, the winter topwater bite is usually slow to non-existant for the reasons given. However, bass don't always follow conventional wisdom, so it is always worth a cast or three just to see. I fish with Flyrod a lot, and he ALWAYS chunks a topwater for at least a few casts regardless of the conditions. I've seen it pay off more than once.
Old 12-09-06, 10:16 PM   #10
JB

I've seen it work in prespawn up here in april, on a buzzbait with the water temp in low 50s.....but you can be in for a long day if you stick with topwater with temps that low.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 10:42 PM   #11
WTL

I think topwater is a hard sell this time of year, but not impossible. You just got to hit something different. But topwater turns on a little earlier than most people think about, when you get into some prespawn bass the devils horse can sometimes get lit up.
Old 12-10-06, 06:37 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
try a buzzbait in early spring/late winter,it will catch some giants!

Man dont tell ALL the trade scerets.LOL Yes I can assure you that late winter early spring is a GREAT time to chunk a buzzer just slow er down. I have caught them in 48 degree water on a Strike King Buzzer. Sounds goofy but hey the bass didnt read our book now did they.
Old 12-10-06, 10:17 AM   #13
Fish2win

Normally in the spring and early winter I do not fish topwater lures when the water surface temperature is below 55 degrees. Once the bait fish activity ceases to be on top I have a problem with believeing that bass would attack a surface bait. You can aggravate a fish into attacking a lure but in the winter when water temps are in the 40's here Tennessee I find other methods to be more practical.
I do remember a really different situation that occured in 1978. I lived in Memphis Tn at that time and fished the lakes in North Mississippi as well as several Oxbow lakes along the MS river year round.It was Feb and the water temps were anywhere from 46 to 51 in the area depending on the lake. I know that is not that cold but that is cold enough to have the bass suspending in winter habatat.
There was an unusually strong warm front that through. The front dropped about 6 or 7 inches of rain while the air temps were in the high 70. This lasted for about 3 days. The water runnimng into the backs of the creeks was much warmer . The fish in these creeks went immediately to the warmer run in water which warmed into the upper 50's. We started catching fish on buzz baits like crazy. This lasted until the next cold front came through and winter fishing returned.
I have never witnessed this again but at least that was one time that the bass did hit topwater in the winter. Fish2win
Old 12-11-06, 09:04 PM   #14
Big Mac
BassFishin.Com Member

Water temps play a big part in the success of topwaters in winter. If there is a warm wind, lots of sun, or warm rains, they will come up to feed. I always look to structure, reeds, rocks, trees, or stained water to capture and retain the heat and get the fish to feed. That is where I cast my topwaters, and don't forget to always fish the west side of the lakes (they get more sun). They do work.

.....mac
Big Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-06, 12:15 AM   #15
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Water temps play a big part in the success of topwaters in winter.
that was exactly what I was about to type. here in florida you can still get a fairly consistant topwater bite in the evenings but not in the mornings. we've been having cold nights sending the fish deeper and warm days sending them back up top in the evening. of course if you're at a spring fed it doesn't matter as much, that's almost always topwaters since the temp is a consistant 72.
Old 12-24-06, 10:24 AM   #16
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

Topwater has been doing well for me the last few days. I have used a black tiny torpedo (twitching it fast), a 5 inch senko on the surface, a zara spook (the medium sized version), and a Mann's hard worm. I only got one on the hard worm, but didn't fish it very long. It has been between 70 and 85 degrees out. That might help. The water has been colder though. I think that some funny stuff works in fishing, so don't hesitate to try it.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 07:02 PM   #17
fishinallyear
BassFishin.Com Member

top waters goin pretty good around here....basically dont use top waters if you notice the turtles are sitting on logs...caues that means the waters to cold for them there for the bass are probably goin to be alot deeper

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.