Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-07, 08:14 PM   #1
glen65
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Guide Services

Is there a "rule of thumb" about the tip given a guide for a productive trip?
glen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 08:23 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

depends on how far out of the way the guide goes for you..not tipping is not an opinion. i always tip even if i catch near nothing.. i have several guides/charter captains that i would happily pay more to fish with them..

zooker
Old 02-26-07, 01:13 PM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to the forum!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 10:57 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Default Tips

I do not charge an arm or leg for that trip of a lifetime. I have gotten tips from "Great Day" to upwards of 200 bucks. In the order of tipping:

Bass fisherman are the worst.
Striper fisherman always tip a little.
Cat fisherman tip well.
Crappie fishermen tip well too.
Fly fisherman tip the best..

Capt Mike
Old 02-27-07, 06:59 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
In the order of tipping:
Bass fisherman are the worst.
Striper fisherman always tip a little.
Cat fisherman tip well.
Crappie fishermen tip well too.
Fly fisherman tip the best..
<zooker climbs on soap box>
knowing bass fishing to be the most equipment intensive. i find the attitude of bass anglers towards there guides ponderous. it greatly saddens me to see things have not changed..

you YOUNGSTERS better take note.. the responsiblity to to set a better example is in YOUR hands and yours alone..treat your guides better than you treat your self. putting your sorry butts on fish IS how guides earn there living..tipping them is YOUR responsiblity...

fishing is just that fishing NOT catching.. i have paid thru the butt for an offshore charter before and come up with nothing..and i still made it a point to tip both the captain and the first mate..as they busted they butt to put us on fish..though i was out over $500 i still paid the tip. even if the charter was free. i still paid for gas and a tip..

in most cases the guys that do not tip very well are the ones that can afford to tip the best..
i would love to get my grubby hands on a non tipper cause i would bury him up to his nose in poop and let him think happy, happy, thoughts...

>stomps the soap box into kinling<

zooker
Old 02-27-07, 10:36 PM   #6
Bender

I've never been on a charter, but I think that if somebody provides a service they deserve a tip. The better the service, the better the tip. In some cases the owner of a business does not require a tip though, such as a barber. (maybe I am just really old school with that one, I tip the girl that cuts my hair 30%, but she is hot and not the owner) Even if I have a terrible meal but the waitress tried he best she still deserves a tip. Same rule should apply to a charter captain. I would have no idea what % though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 12:45 PM   #7
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm one of the ones that don't like to tip even though I possibly could afford to. The price is the price and that's what you pay. If they wanted more money, they'd charge more money. If tips came full circle, that would be one thing. I've noticed though, that even the ones that accept tips aren't tippers.

The only two times I went on a charter, the captain and the deck hand smoked constantly and I left the boat smelling like an ashtray. They definately weren't getting a tip.

I do tip at restraunts if service is good and usually tip for hair cuts. I don't tip the guy pumping gas. I don't tip the fatty at the register at walmart. I've never tipped the mail man....even though all of these people offer services. If I did tip these people, I"d be wasting my money.

I used to buy land, develop it and build homes on it. Sometimes we'd just sell empty lots, sometimes we'd sell a lot with a home on it.

I've sold homes to a lot of different types of people. Military families, teachers, a manager of a restauraunt, a doctor and many, many more. Not one time did anyone tell me, Thank you for the service you provided. This was just a field and now it's beautiful homes. You had our home listed at $270,000 but for your effort, we wanted to give you 10% so here's an extra 27 G's.

If that ever happens, and once tips start coming full circle, maybe I'll start throwing my money around a little more too.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 01:41 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Default Karma

You see it will come around. For instance a guy who tips me well gets the best days to fish. By accident I think not. Since I am an owner /operator I have to make a decision on who I take out and when I will take them out fishing. So that little 40 bucks that you kick in at the end will help me remember and next time you call an opening will magically appear. Ever notice some guys never need a reservation at a resturant?

But to tip or not is still your decision. I make no judgement just state some facts.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.