Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-09, 07:52 AM   #1
Amarillo Palmira
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Replacement Trailer Advice

I've got an 07 Stratos 294 with a Stratos Trail tandem axle trailer. The trailer is painted and has taken a beating from the brackish water in the tidal rivers that I fish. Its got a lot of rust and I've already had to replace the trailer brakes with marine brakes because the originals froze up from the salt. Anyhow, I'm looking for a replacement trailer and just wondered what you guys thought. I'm considering an aluminum trailer with marine brakes or perhaps a galvanized trailer with no brakes, single axle or tandem, not sure. I'm also considering contacting a Stratos dealer and ordering the same trailer I already have but in the galvanized version. The two considerations are: will the brakes on the galvanized version hold up? and its probably more expensive than a saltwater trailer which are readily available in this area. Thoughts? thanks! Amarillo
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 11:15 AM   #2
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Amarillo,

I recently bought a galvanized Roadrunner trailer out of Lewisville Texas. My trailer rotted on my bass boat. This is the second galvanized trailer I've bought from them. The first one was for my striper boat which is well over 10 years old and looks brand new even after taking on the brackish water of Lake Texoma. I really, really like the Roadrunner trailers--Galvanized only. I'll never own another painted trailer if I can keep from it.

The Roadrunners are very well made. Very stout. The metal is really thick. I'm not a welder or metal man so I don't know how thick and all that but they are great trailers.

Heres the way it works: You take your boat down in your old trailer. They lift the boat off and set it on a trailer they have. You take your old trailer home. They call you when it's done. They get them built fast but they then have to take it to a galvanizer which takes more time than it does to build but my recollection is it took about 45 days more or less.

I'm assuming your from Amarillo, Tx.

Last edited by Jigger; 11-12-09 at 11:17 AM. Reason: left something out
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 11:33 AM   #3
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Heres the way it works: You take your boat down in your old trailer. They lift the boat off and set it on a trailer they have. You take your old trailer home. They call you when it's done. They get them built fast but they then have to take it to a galvanizer which takes more time than it does to build but my recollection is it took about 45 days more or less.
I gotta ask why they need your boat sitting around on some other trailer for 45 days? Hull specs should be available and/or they could take measurements for a custom trailer.
Old 11-12-09, 04:27 PM   #4
bassboogieman

The boat is held hostage, grarantee that you pickup your new custom trailer.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 05:59 PM   #5
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The boat is held hostage, grarantee that you pickup your new custom trailer.
This could be the answer but I doubt it. I doubt they have all the specs on the bottom of the boat such as angles and those tines (? not sure what they're called, you know those things that stick up like a ridge under your boat on both sides). Those tines have to match the running boards and set on one side or the other of the boards.

Good question. I didn't ask. I just assumed they needed the boat to fit the trailer to it. Maybe someone else can answer your question.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 09:22 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Get the GAlv.
Old 11-12-09, 10:13 PM   #7
1FASTLASER

The ONLY reason they should need to keep the boat is for proper fit of your boat to there trailer....... Yes there are specs on hull configurations but there are still slight differences that need to be attended to.....for instance maybe your running a jack plate or whatever.
Old 11-14-09, 06:53 AM   #8
Amarillo Palmira
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks again, guys, more awesome advice. Jigger, I live down in Florida and fish a bunch of tidal rivers here that get full of salt. I'm going to check out roadrunner and also see what's in my area as far as galvanized. thanks much, Amarillo
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.