Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-06, 05:11 PM   #1
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to weidner21 Send a message via Yahoo to weidner21
Default rick clunn baitcaster problems

i have had the rick clunn reel for around a year....everytime i reel it there is a horrible grinding noise....i have lubed the reel up many times but it doesn;t seem to solve the problem at all .so if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem is please let me know....i paid $100 for it when it first came out and dont really want to let it go to waste so any ideas please let me know thanks weidner21
weidner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 05:15 PM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

see if bps will fix it.if it's under a year it should be free.if not it'll probably cost not to much.dirt probably got in it and damaged something.
Old 02-19-06, 05:52 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Weider Please tell me you didn't get braided line snagged up and you pulled the line free by pointing the rod tip to the snag and pulling against the reels spool until it freed up ? If that happened you most likely bent the spool shaft ever so slightly.If its not the case, I recommend cleaning the ring and pinion gears with simple green all purpose cleaner using a toothbrush to remove all debri on the gear teeth.rinse it with tap water, dry it and apply light grease on the gears , apply grease on the peice where the pinion gear rides on to prevent friction wear.The other thing is to remove the line pawl guide system and brush it down using simple green as well.Make sure the teeth on the line pawl dog is not chipped or worn.Do not grease it but apply a heavier oil.I use Abu Garcia Silicote oil on the line pawl. If it still does it, check to see if you have got dirt in the anti reverse roller bearing.I use a clean paper towel rolled around a pencil to roll the needle bearings as it wipes any foreign debri from it. You don't want to apply oil to this bearing, leave it dry.Anything other than that, I would have to see it in order to dianose it.Remember you have to tighten the drag before the handle will push inward to unscrew it to take the reel apart. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 07:59 PM   #4
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to weidner21 Send a message via Yahoo to weidner21

i dont use braid and i also dont pull snags off that way.......so i think im just going to sit down and give it a real good cleaning and see how it works
weidner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 10:10 AM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

grit in the levelwind will make it grind terribly.p and j,i've seen guys wreck reels that way and then blame it on the reel.
Old 02-22-06, 12:32 PM   #6
bass kicker

i thaught your name was weiner21
Old 02-22-06, 12:33 PM   #7
bass kicker

i snaped the snapped the spool shaft on my dads bait caster by triing to pull free of a snag with braided line
Old 02-22-06, 12:37 PM   #8
bass kicker

have you ever had a fish bend a spool shaft

i have 40+ lb salmom with a old bps reel
Old 02-22-06, 05:00 PM   #9
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner21
i have had the rick clunn reel for around a year....everytime i reel it there is a horrible grinding noise....i have lubed the reel up many times but it doesn;t seem to solve the problem at all .so if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem is please let me know....i paid $100 for it when it first came out and dont really want to let it go to waste so any ideas please let me know thanks weidner21
If the grinding sound happens when you reel, it is more than likely the little round piece that fits inside the bearings on the reel handle. It has rust pits in it, one of my buddies had this problem. If you take the reel handle off, star drag knob off, and spring off, there will be a nut that you will have to unscrew. Unscrew the nut, take off the side plate by removing screws in it and the bearings fit in the sideplate. Your problem will be the round metal piece that fits in the bearings. Good luck
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 08:18 PM   #10
bass kicker

or bring it to bps and get the reel fixed professinaly by there reel repairmen and it probly wont cost that much

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.