Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-06, 07:06 PM   #1
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef
Default Question for aluminum boat anglers

Lemme tell you a quick story and get your opinions. This happend yesterday. We had our first tourney of the year and it ended with me being the first loser. I had my limit by 11:00 a.m. and was looking to cull. Water temp was about 54 degrees and Me and partner decided to head up in a creek which turned out to be a warm water discharge from a Dupont plant. Well after being in there for about an hour and half we head out and get back into cooler water and my partner hooks one. Open the livewell and he has one bass "near" the top and so I open mine and I have 3 "floaters". We only had the aireator off for about an hour. Have you guys had a problem like this ever happen? Do you think it was the lack of oxygen, the fluctuation in temperature or a calloboration of both? Any thoughts would help. Them three floaters cost me over a pound and first place.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-06, 07:07 PM   #2
Hef

the warm water discharge was about 67 degrees.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Old 03-12-06, 10:21 PM   #3
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yes we have had that problem befor

is your live well insolated because thats helps keep them cool and alive
Old 03-12-06, 10:43 PM   #4
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd say that the temp change probbly killed them. Water temeperature changes gradually even as fronts move through, a fishes anatomy isn't meant to adapt that quickly to a change in water temp...even just a 13 degree change.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-06, 11:30 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If your aerator has auto on it, use it, if not run it constantly. I'm guessing the money lost would've paid for a spare battery. Wouldn't have thought the temps in that range would've done it, but it's possible I guess.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-13-06 at 10:29 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-06, 06:46 PM   #6
Hef

I appreciate it guys.

- Gen Patton
Old 03-15-06, 09:06 AM   #7
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Hef,

Not really sure if it was the temp. but if you are concerned with the temp in your livewell, especially in the hot summer months, there are a couple of things that can help with this. If you have multiple fish finders with temp sensors run one of them into your live well and you will know what the temp is and it will alert you if you need to do something.
Another cool idea is to get a couple of those plastic hooks with adhesive backing and a little aquarium silicone and stick one on each side of a corner in your livewell. The night before the big fishing trip take a couple of two liter plastic coke bottles and fill them with water and freeze them. Place one frozen bottle in the corner with the clips and secure it with a small bungy cord and it will keep the temp in the live well down. And if things don't work out you will always have some cold water to drink later if you don't catch any fish.
Old 03-16-06, 01:18 AM   #8
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I have an aluminum boat and have never had a problem keeping fish alive, even in the summer. The problem is that by having 4 bass in the livewell and not aereating it for an hour, is that they most likely used up all the dissolved oxygen in the water. I usually turn my aerator on at least once every 20 minutes so that the fish have a fresh air/water supply. They aren't going to live without good water.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 03:43 PM   #9
Hef

I appreciate it guys.

- Gen Patton
Old 03-16-06, 04:03 PM   #10
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hef,
we always add this blue chemical to our live wells to keep the slime on them and keep them alive,,

Heres a great article for you to read, its in a PDF(adobe reader)
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Res.../livebass2.pdf
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.