Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-06, 09:45 AM   #1
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Buzzbait wire arm length?

I am in need of buying some more buzzbaits and have been looking at some different brands, as I am yet to find a buzzbait that I truely like. But one thing I am unsure of is all the different lengths of wire frame arms for all the buzzbaits. Some buzzbaits I see have a very long wire arm that extends the buzzer blade far out in front of the actual skirted body and hook, while others are much more compact leaving the skirt body right below and behind the buzzer blade.

What are the main advantages and disadvantages of each style length armed buzzbait? It would seem to me the shorter more compact buzzbait would be preferrable as it keeps the hook closer to the point of commotion that bass may blow up on. But the more and more I look at buzzbaits online, the more I notice a lot of them now have rather long wire arms. What's the deal? Why would you want this style buzzbait? Thanks for your help.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 09:20 PM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I agree in theory that a more compact buzzbait would be the ideal lure for hooking a bass. I think the reason for a longer wire arm on buzzbaits is that first, it probably gives the bait a larger appearance in the water, which would make it more irresistable to a larger fish, and second, many times bass short-strike buzzbaits. The one or two extra inches on the arm could make the difference in one's catch rate.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:23 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i use the ones with the hook about an inch past the blade. those seem to work best for me...
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 06:16 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

These are the buzzbaits I use now. I have tons of them that aren't this brand that just sit, but these get used. There are however a whole lot of others colors available that aren't shown at BPS.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

As for the wire length, If you think it's too short, than add a trailer hook, or even 2 LOL. I rarely use trailer hooks, because I really have few missed hookups, so don't see the need. The longer the wire, the more the skirt will ride lower in the water. Other than that, I try not to worry about it too much. If the bass wants your bait they will get it. The B2 you can retrieve extremely slowly or rip it across the top, the best of both worlds. Try them, I bet you'll like them. I sent some to several members of this site, and never had a bad comment, only "Where did you get those" rotflmao.

Lizards
Old 09-23-06, 06:20 PM   #5
PowerBass

Lunker Lure or Cavitron. 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz. Black White and Chartreuse. Gold Clacker or Silver. Keep it simple.
Old 09-23-06, 09:17 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

always add a trailer hook on a buzz bait. if the fish are still short striking the bait cut the skirt shorter-the shorter the better- they hear the noise they don't see the blades they only see the body of the baits..

zooker
Old 09-24-06, 04:18 PM   #7
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
always add a trailer hook on a buzz bait. if the fish are still short striking the bait cut the skirt shorter-the shorter the better- they hear the noise they don't see the blades they only see the body of the baits..

zooker
i trim them up to the curve of the hook, and always use a red strike king trailer hook. I never trim my spinnerbait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.