Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-09, 01:27 PM   #1
kbkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Pflueger Purist Problems

I recently tore my Pflueger Purist baitcaster apart in order to clean and check the internals. I’ve done this a handful of times in the past and never had any issue. This time around though, I cannot seem to get the spool to engage.

I am able to press the thumb bar and then turn the handle; normally the spool would then turn as if I was reeling it in. In my case though, the spool does not spin. Something is not engaging and I cannot figure it out.

Like I said, I’ve done this a handful of times and never had any problem. I’ve double checked to make sure I put the reel back together properly and that is not an issue.

Has anyone ever had a problem similar to this or have any advice or what to look at or fix? I'm probably going to break down and pick up an Abu, but I'd like to have this reel working as well.
kbkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 05:51 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd take it apart and reassemble it. Check the schematics thuroughly to make sure all the parts are there.

BB
Old 08-11-09, 08:25 PM   #3
kbkid
BassFishin.Com Member

The only thing I did different this time around was, I used some Hot Sauce on the main gears inside of the reel.

Last edited by kbkid; 08-11-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 08:48 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkid View Post
I've done this a handful of times already. Everything is there and assembled correctly.

The only thing I did different this time around was, I used some Hot Sauce on the main gears inside of the reel.
You wanna use grease for the gears... that may be the problem. Use oil for the bearings, and use grease for the gears.
Old 08-11-09, 09:14 PM   #5
kbkid
BassFishin.Com Member

I used Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Grease.

I took the reel apart again and the only thing I found that I was misplacing was a thin metal ring, almost like a shim. The schematics calls it a leaf spring, but I don't quite understand that.

Regardless, the issue seems to have gone away.
Old 08-12-09, 10:30 AM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

It could have been that your drag star wasn't tightened down enough when you put the reel back together. I'll occasionally forget to tighten the star drag down after reassembling and go to test the reel and I'll get the same symptom you described. But just turn the drag star tighter and it will go away.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 01:12 PM   #7
kbkid
BassFishin.Com Member

That may have also have been the issue Kevin, thanks.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.