Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-12, 05:02 PM   #1
Whopper Stopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bass in the pads

Hello!
I just came across the site about three hours ago. I have been digging and rooting ever since. For the most part I spend my time fishing muskies. However once the water gets to where it is now (80 degrees) I switch rods and boxes and head to my favorite bass haunts.

I fish a little lake which happens to be by my deer shack in Northern Wisconsin. The largest bass we ever caught in the lake weighed about 7 pounds; my wife caught it on a Crawfish jig. What a nice fish. I have over the years spent most of my time in the Lilly pads. The lake offers no decent access so we do all our fishing out of a kayak.

A question I would like some opinions on is this. Do bigger bass hang together or do they each stake out some particular territory? On the lake we fish there are many pockets of Lilly pads in the neighborhood 50 yards by 50 yards. Some are smaller and some 2-3 times as big. When I pull up in my kayak and pitch a Scum Frog out, how thoroughly do should I work the pads? How many bass may inhabit a pad bed?

I find I pitch the frog out in the same area 6-7 times and then move along. When I get a splash and land a bass can I expect more to be in the same area or does the commotion scare them? I know guys fishing under docks will throw a bait under it 4-5 times before going to the next one. I just don’t want to be spreading the frog too thin.

Top water bassing is a lot of fun. Last weekend I caught 8 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. Nothing big, but all in the 15-19 “ range. Anyway, I was just looking for tips and opinions on bass in the pads. Thanks for any responses and also for taking the time to read this post.

WS

Last edited by Whopper Stopper; 07-06-12 at 05:07 PM. Reason: ease of reading
Whopper Stopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.