Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-08, 06:47 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Jigs

Although it's been discussed many times I'm sure, I'd like to start a discussion about jig styles, heads, weights, and colors. Some of the main things I'd like to know include:
  • What jig(s) are best fished in weeds?
  • What jig(s) are best fished when being casted and dragged?
  • What jig(s) are best flipped and pitched?
If anybody could please explain what is 'best' or 'primarily' fished in these qpplications, that would be great!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 07:05 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well here is my opinion..........

grass: there are some jigs out there that are designed for grass. we don't have much grass to deal with down here so i haven't used them.

casting and dragging: i will almost always use a football head when i am doing this for 2 reasons. 1st we have a lot of rocks here on table rock and a football head won't get hung as often as other styles in the rocks. 2nd a football head will sit upright a hell of a lot better than other styles which i really like.

flipping and pitching: it depends on what you are flipping and pitching to. if you are flipping and pitching to brush, laydowns, or docks i sometimes use a flipping style head but 90% of the time here on the rock an eakins style round head finesse jig will get you more bites. now if you are flipping and pitching to bed fish then i will use a football head, again because of how it sits upright when on the bed.

but that is just what works for me and i know there are gonna be a lot of guys with other opinions coming shortly.
Old 03-31-08, 07:09 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thing is every type head works in differant bottoms.. a foot ball jig head works best in rocky bottoms. a pointed head works best in vegation.a stand up head works best on a muck bottom.a flippin jig head is the best used as a drop bait.. you see my point here??

i actually use 3 differant kinds. a foot ball head, a pointed head, and a stand up jig.. probly the stand up and foot ball head more then the pointed ones..

the stand up jig has the ablity to lift the bait out of the alge, "green snot grass" that is common on the lake bottoms around here..

the reason i use a pointed head -this is a daves king sling..

this is a strike king foot ball head jig..off a shallow chunk rock flat..

zooker
Old 03-31-08, 11:39 PM   #4
fishwrench
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to fishwrench Send a message via Yahoo to fishwrench

I'm a simpleton. I guess if I were fishing rocks, I'd go with a football head jig. Otherwise in almost every other circumstance, I'm throwing a Booyah Boo jig. I'm not saying it's right or wrong; it's just what I do, and it seems to work. The head style is one of those shaped for cutting through weeds, but has a flat spot on the back of the head with 18 degrees of rise. That allows it to stand-up a trailer when casted, and it's still "coned" enough to get through thick weeds and other structure.

I have just on complaint about Booyah. They took away my favorite color - Cameleon. Best color ever for the Whitefish Chain in MN, and now it's gone. I'm off to cry now.
Old 04-03-08, 05:37 PM   #5
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Bring a few hankeys... Sounds as if it'll be awhile!

Thanks,

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.