Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-07, 06:49 AM   #1
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new batterys

my dad bought bran new batterys for the boat about 4years ago and only took the boat out once. I got the boat after he passed away when I went back to ohio to get it I noticed that the batterys where still in the boat just setting there .now my question is. that is 4 years of brutal winter weather i'm sure they froze a couple of times would they still be good or are they junk? I'm glad I live in florida now no more snowy winters. thanks guys for any imfo you can provide
fishinrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 03:52 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

JUNK THEM... buy new ones if they are not toast allready they will be shortly..

zooker
Old 10-26-07, 06:00 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

So I see you too know abou tthe four season in Ohio. Summer, Almost Winter, Winter, and Still Winter.

But yeah, i'd get new batteries too.
Old 10-26-07, 07:41 PM   #4
Rebbasser

What Zooker said-don't even bother with them, just replace them. You won't regret it.
Old 10-26-07, 08:37 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Replace them with gel cell style(never add water type batteries).

Lizards
Old 10-27-07, 05:54 AM   #6
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

all right I will junk them and get new gel cell. one more ? I got a 25 H.P evenrude and one trolling motor do I need 2or3 batterys do they need to be special there are a lot of diffrent kind of batterys out there. does the battery for the evenrude have to be diffrent than the trolling motor battery?i got a fish finder to I'm sure that will pull a little juice to.thanks alot guys dont know what I would do with out this forum
Old 10-27-07, 06:08 AM   #7
zooker

one for the out board/depthfinder and one for the troller..
absorbed glassmat-gel cells- aint cheap but worth EVERY penny. i use optima's my self at $180 each even i cringed at that.. have used the same optima's for 3 years now no worrying about dry cells during charging, the heat of summer cooking the battery. just charge and go...

zooker
Old 10-27-07, 09:02 AM   #8
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You will want a "Cranking" battery for the outboard and a "Deep Cycle" for the trolling motor. The cranking battery should have no problem running 1 Depth Finder and be ready to start the outboard when needed. Deep Cycle batteries are made to be drawn down then recharged regularly.

Believe you have these 2 types whether buying gel cell or regular lead acid batteries.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 10:49 AM   #9
zooker

3 actually crank, dual, and deep cycle.. you want the crank and deep cycle the dual is mostly used in pleasure craft..-you know them fugly ski boats..

zooker
Old 10-27-07, 05:32 PM   #10
lizardsrule

I actually use a "Deep Cycle Cranking" battery, yes they do make them. I also would reccomend 2 deep cycle batteries for your trolling motor. A hard day fishing in the wind, current, etc... can drain one down before you are ready to call it the day. This all depends on ithat your trolling motor is 12 volt, not 24 volt, then it's a whole different story) Also it's my safety net for JUSTIN CASE, the other one didn't get fully charged, or it starts to go bad, whatever. It can double for a cranking battery if needed because of the cranking battery goes out. Many folks hate the extra weight, but to me it's much better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it.

Lizards
Old 10-27-07, 08:34 PM   #11
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I actually have 4 batteries on mine. 1 handles motor, light's, aftermarket tilt. 2 runs radio, 2 aerators, accessory plug, depth finder and front flasher. Then 2 for my TM- 1 use, 1 back up. Is it extra weight yes, have I been stuck before? YES- see lizzie above, he bailed me out already. Do I have a problem about getting stuck w/ dead power- NO
Old 10-29-07, 03:21 AM   #12
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys I will get new ones it looks like I will have to take out A loan for these batterys LOL but it would be worth it this rookie does not want to die on the water but just in case thats what they make ores for ha ha
Old 11-08-07, 08:41 PM   #13
tntitans21399
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to tntitans21399 Send a message via Yahoo to tntitans21399
Default 4 years old

Even thou the batteries could look new, they would have lost their charge and it would be hard for them to keep a charge. If you want to use them, use them for unimportant things like a drop night light, or something that if the battery dies you still have a main battery.

I had a battery like that and as soon as I passed the no wake zone it died.
tntitans21399 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.