Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-09, 09:21 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What rods do you think are better?

The highest quality ones 50-40 years ago, or the lowest quality rods of now?

Thought I'd be cool to see what you guys think... it may give me some confidence in my current rod now, which is a Barkly lightning rod.
Old 07-08-09, 09:33 AM   #2
JB

Theres no comparison from todays rods from ones 20 years ago, the older rods were lot heavier and less sensitive, and cheaper
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:42 AM   #3
nofearengineer

Well, "lowest quality" automatically gets the boot, by definition. However, if you mean the old gems vs. your average $30 combo from Wal-Mart, it's debatable. I would wager the new bargain rod will perform better out of the box. It will be lighter, more sensitive, and undoubtedly more durable. Remember, it's cheap mostly because of economies of scale, as the machine that produces it cranks aout a million more just like it.

As far as reels go, it's a different story. New bargain reels will still probably perform a little better when they're new. But, as far as durability and long term-performance, I'd give the nod to old classic reels. They're heavy, and noisy, but have definitely proven themselves by the fact that they're still around. Many is the day I wish I could have a few more casts with my childhood-friend workhorse (but quiet as a Gattlin Gun ) Mitchell spinning reel I bought new at K-Mart (it was NOT cheap back then), or fight one more trout with my German-engineered Dam-Quick spinning reel (rather expensive) that I misplaced somewhere during all those years.
Old 07-08-09, 10:07 AM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow! Nofearengineer, that was great response!
40-50 years ago a lot of the lakes in the south were fairly new and bassfishing was on "fire"! We thought the rods and reels back then were "state of the art" and we caught lots of fish on them. Now a days, technology has taken "state of the art" to a level we would never have imagined back then. So as JB pointed out there really is no comparison. The fishing was so much easier back then so it's hard to imagine what the difference might have been back then. Right now, the bass are a highly pressured species in most of the lakes and rivers around the country so the technology is a "must" to be competitive. I wouldn't attempt to use the old school rods and reels with today's finesse tackle and lightweight lures to catch bass the way we do these days.
Old 07-08-09, 10:07 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

are you not liking the lighting rod?
Old 07-08-09, 10:22 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I know this may ruin your confidence in the your rod, but dump the lighting rod and pick up a couple Shimano Clarus rods.

And I don't know about your question, because there are rods now days that I'd still rather have an old rod over. A guy we talked ot while fishing was telling us about a great deal he got on a rod and reel combo. 12 bucks for it (spincasting reel). I wasn't about to be like, this reel (Citica) costs 10 times more than that, lol.

BB
Old 07-08-09, 10:30 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I know this may ruin your confidence in the your rod, but dump the lighting rod and pick up a couple Shimano Clarus rods.

And I don't know about your question, because there are rods now days that I'd still rather have an old rod over. A guy we talked ot while fishing was telling us about a great deal he got on a rod and reel combo. 12 bucks for it (spincasting reel). I wasn't about to be like, this reel (Citica) costs 10 times more than that, lol.

BB
bigbassin,your making me lose confidence in my lighting rod,hahaha.....nah, i love mine at the moment,I got a great deal on it .....but then again i'd fish with a copper pipe and a box of pancake mix if it caught me fish
Old 07-08-09, 10:38 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
bigbassin,your making me lose confidence in my lighting rod,hahaha.....nah, i love mine at the moment,I got a great deal on it .....but then again i'd fish with a copper pipe and a box of pancake mix if it caught me fish
lmao, that's funny right there. I think that'd make a good photoshop.

BB
Old 07-08-09, 10:41 AM   #9
cassidyta

I think nofear nailed it. My 25 year old bantam reel is still the most durable reel that I own.
On rods, I have an old diawa vip gold 2 piece that is my go to spinning rod. I own the clarus and find myself fishing the diawa far more often than the shimano.
Old 07-08-09, 05:07 PM   #10
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wasn't around 50 years ago but almost 40! I only own 1 high end rod (7' H St. Croix Legend) and love it. I'm going to try a new rod soon. I have a 7' H Harmonix rod on order and should be getting it soon. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Old 07-08-09, 06:35 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I think nofear nailed it. My 25 year old bantam reel is still the most durable reel that I own.
On rods, I have an old diawa vip gold 2 piece that is my go to spinning rod. I own the clarus and find myself fishing the diawa far more often than the shimano.
I thought I was the only guy who still had one of the old Bantams. Your right Cass, they are a great little reel.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:29 PM   #12
Rebbasser

I don't think you can really compare the two-today's gear is lighter, more durable, etc. However, I still have a soft spot for those old Mitchell spinning reels and Abu baitcasters and the rods we fished them on.
Old 07-08-09, 10:32 PM   #13
bamabassman

ok, i too love the lighting rod. not cause of the way it feels, there are much better rods out there i know. but for the money spent on the lighting rod.in MY opion ONLY now...... the lighting rod is a great deal. now i AM up grading my rods (thank you AGAIN zooker). but i still use my lighting rods. but by all means if you can afford to buy the higher end rods, buy them. use them and be grateful you can. BUT at the same time, if you can only afford the cheaper rods, lighting rod is a great affordable rod to choose in MY opion. there are better rods that are a little more expensive. so if oyu want to get one of those, save a few more days or whatever and get it. i am saving my money for this reason, and to upgrade my reels too.
Old 07-09-09, 12:03 AM   #14
bassinbob

I have an old Mitchell that's over 30 yrs. old on a Ugly Stick that's about the same age. It's spolled with Power Pro. I let the girlfriend use it for frog fishing. Don't trust her with a bait caster yet. I hear ya about the feelings for the old workhorses but I just love casting on a LTA or Legend. I remember my dad letting me try to cast an old nameless bait caster back in the early sixties. Nothing but overuns. some of them were on metal rods. My oldest Mitchell is 44 years old and still works great.
Old 07-09-09, 10:07 AM   #15
Bassboss

Thanks a lot guys!!

Quote:
are you not liking the lighting rod?
It's not a cherry rod, I don't know what kind of lightning rod it is, but it's very heavy at the tip, and not very sensitive! My dad's tourney special is a better rod! And BB, I'd LOVE to get Clarus, but I'm broke! And I'm not sure if I should get the that or save up for the zillion
Old 07-09-09, 05:23 PM   #16
bamabassman

boss... that is the way the lighting rod is pal. it is either a heavy action, or a medium heavy action tip. the older ones (yes i have one or 2,lol), are heavier all together. but you get used to it i guess. now the cherry rod i also have, very nice indeed for the money. and you can get medium and fast action tips with these rods. that is probably what you are feeling as far as differences bub.
Old 07-09-09, 05:52 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
boss... that is the way the lighting rod is pal. it is either a heavy action, or a medium heavy action tip. the older ones (yes i have one or 2,lol), are heavier all together. but you get used to it i guess. now the cherry rod i also have, very nice indeed for the money. and you can get medium and fast action tips with these rods. that is probably what you are feeling as far as differences bub.
Thanks a lot bama! I think I may get a cherry rod, but I'm not sure if I should just save for a compre or Clarus?! You used the original one?
Old 07-09-09, 06:37 PM   #18
BigBassin144

I'd definately save for a Compre.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 09:48 PM   #19
bamabassman

hahahaha, yes boss i still have the first model that came out too. hahahahaha. and you would be better to save for the other rod my friend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.