Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-09, 12:34 AM   #1
michael1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I want to buy a boat

I am wanting to purchase my first boat and i need some advice.I would like an aluminum bass boat.I am wanting a boat to fish with room for small kids and wife.I am now looking at a 2005 duracraft 1660. Can someone chime in with opinions on whether this would be a good purchase or should i look for a tracker,alumacraft etc.Also i want to spend around $7,000.
michael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 02:10 AM   #2
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

first off i would compare the prices to other boats you are interested in, then find the most compatible one of your choice, dont limit your options... you know you want an aluminum around 7k, thats is a constricted enough plan, you know the price range and the type, now just start looking. find one with decent amount of front and rear deck space since you will have wife and or children, decent amount of storage space for everyone's luggage, cooler etc. you never want to be on the water with whining chilren!!! im not familiar with a duracraft, but make sure you check around before buying and be sure you are very comfortable with your choice. check the accesories, motor size and reliability, and ask what kind of water its been in. from my understanding, salt water is a no no check up on that... hope this helps, and welcome to the site!!!
Old 03-21-09, 02:59 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Any boat is a money pit, but especially those that havent been allowed to sit for 10+ years to get big depreciation years out of the way. So is it a good purchase? Depends, do you have 7 grand to blow or will this be financed or other?

The duracrafts are good boats, my critique is not a brand specific thing - duracraft, alumacraft, tracker are all good. But they have made good boats for many years. You might find an older boat for less, and it would be my recommendation to keep an open mind to older aluminum boats as long as the motors are sound.

A hull really doesnt wear out, not like a car anyways. Now outboards are a different story, they can be worn to hell even if it is only 3 years old.
Old 03-21-09, 07:44 AM   #4
bamabassman

bingham and wtl have given you very good advice. only thing i will say is to not limit yourself to just aluminum boats for that price. there are a lot of great deals out there, and you just might find a glass rig for the same money. not pushing a glass over an aluminum. just giving you something to think about.
Old 03-21-09, 08:05 AM   #5
bassackwards

i have found a lot of good used aluminum rigs around the late 90s on creagslist for 5 or under
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 12:22 PM   #6
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bingham and wtl have given you very good advice. only thing i will say is to not limit yourself to just aluminum boats for that price. there are a lot of great deals out there, and you just might find a glass rig for the same money. not pushing a glass over an aluminum. just giving you something to think about.
especially for what you said about having your family i also think the glass would fit you better off, wasnt gonna bring it up but now that its been brought up, in my opinion youll have much more space on the smallest of fiberglass boats as you would in a larger scale aluminum. good point bama
Old 03-21-09, 12:28 PM   #7
Bassboss

Nice looking boat! But what ever boat you get, make sure you're happy with it!
Old 03-21-09, 02:11 PM   #8
dbltap
BassFishin.Com Member

Be sure to check Load Capacity and stability. Kids like to move around alot and too many on one side may cause an issue with tipping expecially in choppy water or if your hit by a wake from another boat that you didn't see comming.
dbltap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 10:59 PM   #9
michael1
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for giving me your advice.I am still trying to decide if i will buy.The boat seems like a good deal. Been looking and pricing for a while.Just hard to spend cash in hand.Thanks again.
michael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 06:11 PM   #10
barkelypup

WTL I agree with you 99% and an older boat would not be a bad Idea at all however some of those older riveted aluminum boats take on more water than the titanic. Also I have seen some of the older aluminum trackers not be very stable in the back ends. You could step from the back of the boat to the dock and put the corner under water. Keep that in mind especially with kids. Mikey most definetly though look into some of the older model rigs. 6 or 7 grand will buy a whole lot of boat now a days.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 09:58 PM   #11
lincomores
BassFishin.Com Member

I was in much the same place as you are. I looked for eight months until I found the size, style and affordability.
I wound up with a 2002 Lowe 170SE Bass Striker with a 50hp yammi.

It doesn't have "great front and rear" casting decks but sufficient. Between the decks is a lot of "low" room for my grandchildren...."safer to be lower"

Make sure you consider the "persons capacity and weight capacity" for those you intend to go with. Especially true for motor size.

I went from a 14' jon with a 15-25 hp starting place and ended with what I have.

Don't be afraid to look at an 18'...I think you will be happier. And if you look diligently and are willing to travel around to check boats out, you will find over time that all of the components will fall into place.

I got mine out for the first time this past weekend...I am happy with my choice. Now its on to fishing.
lincomores is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.