Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-09, 04:44 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Fleas in my yard

We just got new neighbors a few months ago and they have brought an infantry of small troops with them with their herd of barn yard animals on their acre and a half. Anyone know of a cheap product to get these little boogers off of Chilli Dog, my weinie dog. Although a bullet is tempting, I would prefer another alternative.
Old 10-30-09, 05:06 AM   #2
shutupnfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Fleas suck, period. The good news is, 80% sevin dust sucks for fleas. I used that the last couple of times and it works. I tried all the high priced "flea killer" from the feed store and that didn't even slow 'em down. The 80% sevin dust ain't cheap by any means, but it works. Good luck.

Steve
shutupnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 05:10 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Critters on your weanie dog aint good, normally requires a doctor and antibiotics.

Really, if you don't get the fleas out of your yard you are fighting a losing battle. I used to use dursban, but I'm not sure its still available. Every poison has a few year shelf life before its banned by some agency or another. Program used to work on dogs, but I think fleas develop immunity about as quick as viruses. Flea powder will help, and believe it or not I have taken a small shop vac to the not sensitive areas of my dog before to get some fleas off.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 05:13 AM   #4
1/4 stick

I'd wash the dog in some flea soap for dogs and put the sevin dust out in the yard rather than on the dog. I'm sure you knew that but wanted to make sure for the dogs sake. And that there's my daily good deed, I can continue on with my deviant daily buisness.
Old 10-30-09, 05:59 AM   #5
zooker

if ya got a cat .shoot it... they bring in more fleas than a squad of blue ticks..

zooker
Old 10-30-09, 08:42 AM   #6
shutupnfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I believe you're correct about the Durasban. Yep, it worked so they took it off the market. From what I hear that's what a lot of critter gitters would spray for termites. As far as the sevin dust using it on the dogs, didn't seem to hurt mine any. The other guys that were using said the same thing. A few of them dusted the dogs, some gave 'em a bath. Either way, the dogs are all good and fleas are all dead.

Steve
shutupnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 09:28 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Hmmm....I wonder what kind of responses I would get if I talked about shooting dogs?

Bubba, you might also want to try some food-grade Diatomaceous Earth. It kills fleas, but it's totally non-toxic to Rover.
Old 10-30-09, 10:52 AM   #8
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupnfish View Post
I believe you're correct about the Durasban. Yep, it worked so they took it off the market. From what I hear that's what a lot of critter gitters would spray for termites. As far as the sevin dust using it on the dogs, didn't seem to hurt mine any. The other guys that were using said the same thing. A few of them dusted the dogs, some gave 'em a bath. Either way, the dogs are all good and fleas are all dead.

Steve
hmmm... I wouldn't have thought about putting directly on the dog. But what do I know, my old man put lye and sulfer on a dog I had that got mange and I thought he was nuts. Worked though.
Old 10-30-09, 10:54 AM   #9
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Hmmm....I wonder what kind of responses I would get if I talked about shooting dogs?

Bubba, you might also want to try some food-grade Diatomaceous Earth. It kills fleas, but it's totally non-toxic to Rover.
Depends on the breed.
Old 10-30-09, 11:59 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for the info fellas, I will see what I can find for a reasonable price. I bathed ole Chilli Dog right before I went to work and put the rid, or whatever the stuff is in the tube you run down their back, on him about 2 weeks ago, but I checked him when I got in and they are right back knawing on him. My neighbor between us and the petting zoo had an exterminator come out and spray their yard, but I think they just floated one over to mine. If I can get rid of them, I am going to set my sights on that poor jack a@@ in the 10X10 pin. Oughta call the humane people on them, it's ridiculous.
Old 10-30-09, 10:27 PM   #11
CMorg

My old house always had fleas in the backyard from the previous owner I guess, they had a dog tied up. Anyway my dog got them every year until we started using the flea medicine from the vet. The stuff from walmart sucks , so dont waste your money , just visit the vet and get the good suff.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 03:00 AM   #12
66KingFisher

We are in the same boat....we have two miniture dachounds and have been battling fleas really bad the past few months....None of the old flea treatments seem to work anymore...and we've tried every brand the vet offers....they all worked great at first and then got to where they didn't seem to do much after the first week. We have recently as last week gone back to using the old style flea collar with ok success.....we've treated the yard the carpets their bedding and them....whats next??? I dunno...were about at our wits end and have concidered gettin rid of our pet dogs all together as a last resort....but mostly I feel bad for the dogs, and I want to be able to rid them of the problem if thats possible?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 10:03 AM   #13
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default get rid of fleas

I use tobacco dust. I have used it for years. Works great with no harm to animals or humans. Just spread it on the lawn with a broadcast spreader, let the dew or water it in with a small amount of water. Last about 6 months. Not to expencive either.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 11:59 AM   #14
JB

Try a eight dollar bag of sevindust at walmart. It's easily spread in lil pellet form and is activated with morning dew or rain. The other side of the coin is that it kills a ton of other insects too.
We've used it for years when the fleas come on. Zookers right, cats bring the fleas in to the yard, but also rabbits and squirrels have them to. I always apply near the foundations and door entrances to the outside beside the yard.
After that keep a monthly dose of Advantage or similiar products to keep the pets flea free.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 06:02 PM   #15
Bub
BassFishin.Com Member

Bad news for ya Bubba, I went through this a few years ago and DANG what a pain it was to get rid of those critters! First, you have to get your energy level WAY up because this isn't an easy chore, then put on the ol' boxing gloves cause it's a fight! You have to start by going to the vet and getting a flea medicine that will look like the tube of stuff you get at walmart (but it will actually work). You will have to apply this about once a month. This will make the fleas sterile so they won't be able to lay eggs that will actually hatch. (like gettin' them neutered!) Anyway, next you have to start on the yard and the house where the adult fleas are. Sevin dust in the yard every two weeks for about 2 months since you live in MS and I don't think it freezes there... Inside the house is the hard part. They hide in carpet and small cracks and crevices everywhere in the house but especially near where ol' yeller lays around most of the time. You will need to vacume really well every day or two until you stop seeing them...this could take a couple of weeks. Make sure after you vacume, you put the vacume bag into it's own little walmart bag or something and tie it shut. If you keep up this whole regimend, you will see results. I tried all kinds of other things for about 6 months before doing these things which finally worked.

Good luck Sir!
Bub

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.