Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-10, 02:23 PM   #1
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Ugly Stik Lite, Bass.Pro problem!

I can't believe it. I've got grooves in my guides. I bought this 7' MH Bait casting rod 2 mos months ago. I've been using Power Pro 30 Lb braid. So I sent Bass Pro a email about it and asked to exchange it. They tell me because it is over 30 days since I bought it, I have to return to the factory, unless I bring it into a store for credit or exchange. I live over a hundred and fifty mile from a store. I can't get over getting grooves that fast in the first place. Any others have this problem with Ugly stik lite rods? I also can't believe they won't let me return it to the online store. Cabala's wouldn't give me this hassle. My wife is going to Illinois to visit her sisters during hunting season opening weekend. She'll pass right by the Gurnee IL. store. Anyone have this problem with Bass Pro? What difference does it make if I exchange via mail? Don't get it. I think I'll exchange for a Lightning shock 7' MH. Love the 6.6 foot Med. shock rod I've got matched with a PQ 7.1 reel. Excellent for shallow cranks. The guides are made for braid. I haven't had problem with braid eating guides on any other brand rods. I have a few Ugly stik lites for spinning reels and never had any problems. Love them. Also if I send to the factory, I understand I have to pay shipping and handling fee's. Just not right
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 03:59 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Never used the lite. Have first out spinning rods and have used braid for years with no groves. Hope you enjoy the new shock rod.
Old 09-14-10, 04:43 PM   #3
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont really like shakespeare rods or products myself I just dont think there that well made.Bass pro shops is really stubborn about there 30 day policy.I have heard of people being able to take it back after that but rarely and usually for store credit.I too live about that far from bass pro shops and its not fun having to return something.You should get a refund for store credit and look at some St.Croix rods I have never had a problem with them there some of the best rods for the money I think.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 05:42 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ugly Sticks are cheap rods that are built with cheap components. If that's all you can afford or are willing to spend, that's fine and none of my business, but the fact still stands that they're cheap.

The guides weren't made for fishing braid, it's too abrasive (or some believe it's the particles that braid picks up that abrade the guides. Some guides can just take it a lot better than others.

Bass Pro isn't in the business of losing money. If they ship it to you and pay for shipping, they're out nearly the cost of the new rod. If they make you pay shipping, you might as well buy a new rod.

My suggestion would be to forget and buy a new one (or preferably, a new better rod). Or drive to BPS to exchange it (I'd still opt for store credit and upgrade to a better rod. If money is an issue, there are many good rods out there under $100: Falcon Bucoo, Abu Vendetta, etc, etc. The guides on these rods will stand up better to braid.

Although if you want a truly braid friendly rod, choose one equipped with SiC (Silicon Carbide) guides. However, these rods are normally going to be on companies' higher end rods, with prices to match.

BB
Old 09-14-10, 07:11 PM   #5
bcklash

I don't use braid anymore and that's one reason why.
Old 09-14-10, 08:28 PM   #6
Tavery5

This is a table of common materials used for guides and its hardness as measured on a Rockwell scale.

It is subjective but is a good reference. It was borrowed from another popular fishing site.

Stainless Steel (SS): 400
Chrome: 800-1000
Carbaloy: 1000
Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400
Alconite : 1300-1500
NanoLite : 1800
Zirconia: 1000-1400
Zirconia PVD: 1600
SiC: 2200-2400

Alconite and Aluminum Oxide are starting to become the norm on rods around 100
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 11:10 PM   #7
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As much as I have loved using my ugly stiks, I have to agree with BB. Graphite is the only way to go.

Just go to a local store and buy a better rod. There are plenty in that same price range, even some Shakespeare rods are better. I got a Micro Graphite a few weeks ago and I love it!

As far as braid goes, I have used everything from 15 to 40# power pro on my BC ugly stik. I have never had this issue. I did have a line guide insert fall out, but it was easy to replace.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-10, 11:22 PM   #8
Jrob78

The Ugly Stick Lites are graphite, I think. My general rule is anything with less than aluminum oxide inserts isn't safe for braid.

It sucks that BPS won't allow you to return it but I think BigBassin pretty well summed up why, like it or not. I don't think you have to buy the most expensive gear to be a successful fisherman or to enjoy fishing. In some instances however, you get what you pay for.

I think the Lightning Rod Shock would be a great solution to your problem, they have a good reputation as a good budget rod and should hold up to braid.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...ning-rod-shock

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-14-10 at 11:36 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 11:26 PM   #9
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The Ugly Stick Lites are graphite, I think. My general rule is anything with less than aluminum oxide inserts isn't safe for braid.

It sucks that BPS won't allow you to return it but I think BigBassin pretty well summed up why, like it or not. I don't think you have to buy the most expensive gear to be a successful fisherman or to enjoy fishing. In some instances however, you get what you pay for.

I think the Lightning Rod Shock would be a great solution to your problem, they have a good reputation as a good budget rod and should hold up to braid.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...ning-rod-shock
I missed the light part. Still, there are better rods to be had in that price range.
Old 09-16-10, 01:15 PM   #10
dave0943

Thanks guys for some good answers. I usually buy better rods. I bought the ugly stik lite to use with a Abu 5600c4. I use this as a backup bass combo, and for pike, musky fishing in the Menominee river. Most of my regular rotation rods are Mojo, St Croix, Cabela's fish eagle2's, Vendetta. I also use the 5600/ uglt stik as a loaner when friends come into town. I used Ugly stiks way back in the 70's as a rookie fisherman and loved them. I would think even at the modest 40.00 price for the rod, you would get more than a few months wear. I'm also surprised that Bass Pro would give me a hassle with a exchange, via mail. I've returned a reel 6 mos old to Cabela's to see if they could order parts to fix it. They just gave me a new one, WITH A SMILE! That's service. I can see if I abused the rod. My son used it several times. He also used it to toss practise plugs in the yard. It was used around 10 days on the water with the power pro. I will exchange it for a 7' MH Shock rod when my wife heads to Illinois in November. They have the guides made for braid. Won't worry about lending it out at 54.00. Thanks again for the comments.
Dave
Old 09-16-10, 03:35 PM   #11
BigBassin144

If you want an ugly stick like rod, check out the Shimano Voltaeus rods. They're wicked looking and are supposedly as unbreakable as ugly sticks. I'm not sure what they have for guides though.

BB
Old 09-16-10, 05:12 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you want an ugly stick like rod, check out the Shimano Voltaeus rods. They're wicked looking and are supposedly as unbreakable as ugly sticks. I'm not sure what they have for guides though.

BB

They also have stainless guides
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 07:07 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
They also have stainless guides
Ah, ok. So they won't be any better for braided line then.

BB
Old 09-17-10, 11:57 AM   #14
dave0943

I think the best I can do for the applications the rod would be used for , would be the shock rod. Don't have to worry about braid, or lending to out of town guests. Heck I've got a 6.6 foot Med Shock rod that I love for crankbaits.
Old 09-17-10, 04:29 PM   #15
BassBandit

One of reason I dislike braid.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.