Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-11, 10:08 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default computer crash

just a little FYI folks. my laptop crashed and i ma now using the more than 20 yrs old desktop. it is slower than trying to pour cane syrup in january outdoors. so i won't be bugging you guys much till i get the newer computer fixed.

it is old too by todays standard. over 6 yrs old. had it overhauled more times than i like to think aobut.

if ya'll would (computer experts) tellme of a good general computer that doesn't cost more than say $500.00. IF i can swing it i am wanting to get a new one. doesn't matter if it is a laptop or desk top.

thanks gang.
Old 10-09-11, 10:29 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

hey bama, I just got back on line today. Bought a new desktop. Got it from Best Buy today. It's a Lenovo. So far so good. Price was 419 on sale.
Old 10-10-11, 03:15 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Before I got my laptop stole in San Antonio, I had it for a couple of years. It was an Acer from Walmart that I paid about $300 for around Christmas sales. By time I downloaded Norton on it, I might of had 350 in it. Then put the free programs like Super Antispyware and Malware Bytes, and never had an intrusion or virus. It was beat and banged in airports to Mexico, Singapore and around the rigs and never had an issue with it. If you are only using one for email and surfing capabilities, you should be able to come in pretty well under $500. Unless you plan on picking up graphic designing and programming as a hobby, alot of the stuff is overkill for the average user, like me. Just my .02.

BTW, if you already have Norton or McAfee protection and paying an annual subscription, you should be able to add it to the computer for free. They usually allow up to 3 computers on 1 register key number. My recommendation would be to go to the chat online instead of calling them and let them install it. There isn't anything much more aggrevating than saying "huh or what did you say" 483 times in a hour with an operator in Bangladesh. And that is just the first hour.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 10-10-11 at 03:24 AM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 04:00 AM   #4
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

$500 bucks will buy you a new laptop or a desktop. I would not spend $500 on a 6 year old laptop. You should spend that money to get a new one. Like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satell...0&sr=8-1-spell
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satell...8233479&sr=8-9
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satell...233597&sr=8-17
Old 10-10-11, 08:07 PM   #5
WTL

My laptop cost $300. It does alright, its slowing down a bit now but I have treated it poorly.
Old 10-10-11, 09:40 PM   #6
bamabassman

thanks gang. JSUT what io wanted to read. i HTINK i can get this one updated for under $200.00 bucks. but i like the idea of a new one. gonna REALLY check em all out this time. this laptop i got cost about a grand way back when. not worth the money in my opion since it is so outdated in less than 10 yrs. gonna go a different route this time. less money and all. again, THANK OYU GANG!!!
Old 10-11-11, 12:46 AM   #7
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bama trust me when I say if you have you computer updated you will probably back in the same spot before to long. You are better off to spend the little extra money (if you can in these times, easier said then done.) and get a new computer. Rebuilding an old computer will be a waste of your money.
Old 10-11-11, 10:20 PM   #8
bamabassman

thanks adam. i thought someone would tell me that. i have had this one rebuilt 4 times already. so maybe you are right i htink. will see what i can do as far as swapping or selling this one. thanks again adam.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.