Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-06, 11:53 AM   #1
promeetheeus
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Caught my first REAL bass..and review of frogs!

well,
i have only been fishing for bass about a month and since i am still looking for a small enough boat to get in these vacated sand pits, i have been exploring the banks for places to fish..

as you will notice, i ONLY bought topwater stuff because the water is shallow around the banks (2-6 feet) and HEAVY hydrilla with very defined clear pockets.. spinners, cranks and even buzz baits come back covered in weeds and are useless..tried worms with a little success but just casting it out about 30 yards and letting it sing, just didn't work..anyway on to the fishing..

thursday evening, after getting my shipment in from tackle warehouse, i headed for the pits to try some of this stuff out..i bought the following:

jerry rado generic mouse ($30..CRAZY, i know but, it looked SO COOL)
swamp donkey (bull frog)
bronze eye frog (black bull frog)
sumo frog (bull frog)
bully wa (bull frog)
Basirisky Frog (bull frog)
bobbys perfect frog (bull frog

i fished these various frogs for about 3 hours, changing them out looking at their action and "sitting" style..quickly, ONLY TWO of these stood out as being "worth" their cost....they, didn't fill with water, ALWAYS landed on their tummy, sat properly in the water (eyes a litle above the water line) and caused a WIDE v-wave when reeling them across open water..these two are the swamp donkey and bronze eye...the others NEVER produced a single strike!

the swamp donkey and bronze eye each produced about a half dozen vicious hits and well, ONLY the bronze eye allowed me to catch the fish..i lost EVERY ONE on the swamp donkey as it did not allow a good hook up so, i am a bronze eye man..PERIOD...these fish were all about 20 inches and 2 PLUS pounds..i was on cloud nine!

after doing this and finding my new "go-to" lure, i was about to leave when i remembered i had the mouse so, i said what the heck and tied it on and threw it up the shore line..i was SHOCKED how real and cool this thing was..its tail wagged slowly as it came up the shore line..suddenly, there was a huge explosion on the water that looked like a blasting cap going off and to be honest, it scared me so bad, i dropped my rod! all of a sudden my rod started to move and i grabbed it and the fight was on..this thing jumped out the water and i was like oh my gosh...it was huge!

i had NEVER seen anything like this..only on TV! here i was fishing shallow water from the bank and i had a monster..well, after about 10 minutes and 4 jumps, i got it to the bank through all the hydrilla (which actually helped because it matted around him and weighed him down) and out the water..it was near the length of my arm and at home weighed over 9 1/2 lbs!

went back yesterday and threw the mouse and caught three more in shallow water in different places all 3 plus pound each...INCREDIBLE!

this mouse is everything i had heard it was and is an absolute monster slayer..i am so glad i bought it and ordered two more to make sure i always have one!

anyone else try one of these?

Last edited by promeetheeus; 07-08-06 at 10:32 PM.
promeetheeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.