Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-09, 08:59 PM   #1
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Too many dead fish

I was fishing on lake Guntersville at Goosepond today when I saw a bothersome sight. The rocks and trees around the shore were littered with dead bass. Just in the section I was fishing I counted about 50. They were all released from a tournament that was recently here. One fish I noticed would have proably weighed 6-7 pounds. The tournament directors should have taken more consideration for the fish due to the high temps and the stress level. It really is a shame to see something like that.
Old 08-18-09, 09:32 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Been wondering where you've been Gbass!
That stinks, in more ways than one. Don't know if you caught it or not but there was a thread around here a month or so back about a huge amount of dead bass after a tourney. really sad, in both cases. Always respect the fish.
Old 08-19-09, 10:16 PM   #3
bamabassman

after we talked about this jeremy, i wa wondering if you might want to conntact the manager of goosepond. tell him about this. i am willing to bet he will look into it for future tournies.
Old 08-20-09, 11:28 AM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbassman View Post
I was fishing on lake Guntersville at Goosepond today when I saw a bothersome sight. The rocks and trees around the shore were littered with dead bass. Just in the section I was fishing I counted about 50. They were all released from a tournament that was recently here. One fish I noticed would have proably weighed 6-7 pounds. The tournament directors should have taken more consideration for the fish due to the high temps and the stress level. It really is a shame to see something like that.

Are you SURE they were from the tournament and there is no virus problems right now. That's a pretty serious accusation. Sometimes there may be something going on and the placed you find the fish may be coincidental to a tournament location. Besides, it is the angler's responsibility to protect those fish if they want to release them alive (most local tournaments have the anglers return the fish to the water themselves, otherwise they have a holding tank with antibiotics and sedatives).
Old 08-20-09, 12:00 PM   #5
nofearengineer

This whole thing worries me.

On the one hand, I am against wanton waste and cruelty to any animal, wild or captive.

On the other hand, if this keeps up, some lefty maniac who doesn't even seem to realize that there wouldn't be this many bass to begin with without active bass fishery management, supported by you know who, bass fishermen, will try to step in and "save us from ourselves". If they shut down bass fishing, the fishery will suffer even more.

At this point, it doesn't matter if the tournament is responsible or if it was a "natural" die-off. When the picture of it gets posted in the paper, the headline will be about how irresponsible the big, bad fishermen are.

Don't think it can't happen, or that there aren't people who would try to make it happen.
Old 08-27-09, 10:45 AM   #6
Bucket
BassFishin.Com Member

On this day in 1992-17 years ago LDWF estimated we lost 62 Million finfish in the Atchafalaya Delta due to Hurricane Andrew. Lost another 14 Million last year on September 1 due to Hurricane Gustav. I witnessed both of these storms, the estimates are WAY LOW. Had to wear respirators to breathe. Some lakes and bayous were impassable due to all the dead fish and wildlife. Place has never fully recovered and might not in our lifetime. It's something i hope nobody ever has to see again.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 09:51 PM   #7
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I know they are SUPPOSED to have a holding tank, but after they weigh the fish, the angler walks about 30 feet from the stage and they have a big PVC pipe running underground that comes out just under the docks, and they run a hose pipe in the tube to kkep it wet and just slide the fish down the tube. Ive seen it happen many time and this is not the first time I have seen something like this in this location.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.