Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-06, 08:23 PM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default deep cranking

I have deep diving crankbaits,but the only prob. is they have such a pull on the rod and reel.What in your guys minds is a good gear ratio for comfort and and what action rod would be good for deep diving crankbaits?.I have problems with my wrists from drumming for 24yrs and I want to be as easy as I can on the o' wrist's
Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 08:27 PM   #2
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

7:1 or 6:1 would probaly be the best
Old 03-07-06, 08:31 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
7:1 or 6:1 would probaly be the best
Other way around, BK. The lower the gear ratio the more winching power it has and the less strain on your wrists and arms. I use a 5.2:1, and am thinking about digging out my Dad's old 3.4:1 Ambassadeur 5000 for those really big, deep cranks.
Old 03-07-06, 08:39 PM   #4
Denny_K

Default Reb

Reb ,
You feel comfortable with the 5.2:1? on the wrist.Reb what about the action on the rod? MH?
thanks Denny
Old 03-07-06, 08:39 PM   #5
bass kicker

but i thaught the higher gear ratio is better for cranks
Old 03-07-06, 08:52 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Maybe for burning a lipless crank or a smaller bait, but for those bigger baits a lower gear ratio is a lot less tiring.

Denny, for normal size cranks the 5.2:1 is great-the reason I got it is not so much for the winching power as it is because I tend to fish a crank too fast. Use a 5.2:1 on my spinnerbait rod for the same reason.

It works fine on those bigger baits, but you know you have been cranking. Like I said on another post, I use a 7' Falcon Low Rider composite rod for those big cranks. It is a M action glass tip/graphite butt section rod that is almost like a light saltwater rod-it has a long handle which I can put up against my chest for extra leverage. For those big baits I'd stay with a M action but use at least a 7' rod.

Getting back to the reel, one trick I learned watching a show where Mark Davis was discussing this topic is to pull the bait with your rod tip rather than cranking in a stop-and-go retrieve. He said it was a lot less tiring that way, and he ought to know
Old 03-07-06, 08:54 PM   #7
bass kicker

thanks i was just wondering i use an ambassadeur C3 for cranks
Old 03-07-06, 09:24 PM   #8
pig n jig

Denny, If you point the rod tip straight towards the lure as you crank,you won't get the pressure from fighting against the rod blank as you retrieve the crankbait.It won't wear you out when throwing them all day.I don't go by Gear ratio, it messes with your mind, what you want is line retrieve rate. The line retrieve rate I look for to fish crankbaits is 19 - 21 " line retrieve per 1 full turn of the reel handle. Gear ratio is sometimes misleading because to get the line retrieve rate, the spool width and spool diameter + the line diameter + the gear ratio are all part of what makes the line retrieve rate.Let me know if I lost you somewhere, sometimes I don't explain things very clear. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 09:33 PM   #9
bass kicker

that is vary clear and it makes sence to thanks P N J
Old 03-07-06, 09:40 PM   #10
pig n jig

The gear ratio of 6.2:1 = 6.2 spool revolutions per 1 turn of the handle. You can buy 3 different reel brands with the same gear ratio and get 3 different line retrieve rates. The actual spool width & spool height determines how fast the line is pulled in as much as the gear ratio does. P N J
Old 03-07-06, 09:48 PM   #11
bass kicker

i noticed that
Old 03-07-06, 10:36 PM   #12
Curado

Go with a 5.3:1 gear ratio and also use a rod that is at least 7 ft. tall with M or MH power, but it still needs to have a flexible tip.
Old 03-07-06, 10:42 PM   #13
WIbassfisherman

5.2:1 is my choice. I like the Pfleugar Trion's with the wide spool. Spool it up with a good quality mono like Trilene XL in 10lb test. Match all that with a quality 7' cranking rod with medium action rod or a medium heavy with a flex tip like previously mentioned. Can't wait for my deep summer pattern to get those schoolies to go on my deep diving plugs!
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 10:46 PM   #14
Denny_K

Default Great!!

Man,
Thanks for all the great info.I sure will use it guys helped a lot
many thanks Denny
Old 03-07-06, 10:48 PM   #15
lizardsrule

I truly don't think the gear ratio is gonna be the cause of your wrists being sore. Like PNJ stated a rod pointed at the cranks will help, and a stiffer rod will help. The vibrations will come no matter what speed you reteive it at. That being said I use a 5:1 Calais for my cranking, because it is slower on the retreive than my other reels, and I already crank to fast on cranks as it is. PNJ is the expert of course, but if it's the same spool, and a lower ratio, it's gonna come back slower with the same speed of cranking.

Lizards
Old 03-08-06, 06:36 AM   #16
pig n jig

Lizards,I am not an expert, but there is a marketing strategy for displaying gear ratios in their ads to mislead or take an advantage of us the buyers. Its gear ratio is used as a marketing tool and sometimes its really all a crock of sh!t. It very well may be printed to mislead a person into thinking they need the latest gear ratio. I will give you an example. The new 7:1 gear ratios Quantum & Shimano have introduced in their reel line up.The Quantum 7:1 gear ratio still only pulls 26" of line per 1 full turn of the handle.That is exactly the same line retreive as the older model reels that were 6.2:1. Now on the other hand, I hate to say it, but the Shimano 7:1 gear ratio pulls 31" of line per 1 turn of the handle.That is a heck of a difference between reel brands with the same 7:1 gear ratio. P N J
Old 03-08-06, 07:28 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Definatley the slower the reel reteive rate in inches per turn is the way to go along with the way you hold the rod. Due to surgery I have had to now when deep cranking hold the rod against my side or belly to releive the fatgue. Using a 6.3 or 7-1 reel would wear you out after 2 casts. Lol
Old 03-08-06, 03:50 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Denny, If you point the rod tip straight towards the lure as you crank,you won't get the pressure from fighting against the rod blank as you retrieve the crankbait.It won't wear you out when throwing them all day.I don't go by Gear ratio, it messes with your mind, what you want is line retrieve rate. The line retrieve rate I look for to fish crankbaits is 19 - 21 " line retrieve per 1 full turn of the reel handle. Gear ratio is sometimes misleading because to get the line retrieve rate, the spool width and spool diameter + the line diameter + the gear ratio are all part of what makes the line retrieve rate.Let me know if I lost you somewhere, sometimes I don't explain things very clear. P N J
You are the expert, so quit being so modest about it. LOL. This post proves it even more so. You have used more reels and know more about taking them apart and what makes them tick than anyone I've ever been associated with, including guys who repair reels for a living. You probably have 50 reels in your possession right now Must be because you are always searching for a better reel. You'd probably find it, if you would just use the Shimano's Rotfl

Lizards
Old 03-08-06, 06:30 PM   #19
pig n jig

Lizards, Thats my hobby, I love messing with reels about as much as I love to fish. I do reel cleanings, and have repaired a few for freinds and even fixed an old timer I haven't seen in years for Zooker. Keep that in mind when those big bass start wearing on those Shimano's, P N J
Old 03-08-06, 10:00 PM   #20
bassguy2004

5.2:1 for Norman DD22. Using a 6.2:1 is like using a wench, no way you could do that all day.
Old 03-08-06, 10:06 PM   #21
bass kicker

i only use a 6' rod for cranks
Old 03-09-06, 05:45 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

PNJ

Got any of the old lews laying around or any parts for them. I got 2 of the ones made by browning that could use some freshening up?? I would be interested in purchasing any of the old lews anybody wants to sell.
Old 03-09-06, 02:20 PM   #23
zooker

i run a 6.2 torno ambassador to me this is the perfect retrive speed for shallow divers. but i have a 3.8 geared winch ambassador that works the best i have found for deep cranks with less fatique.. the key to over coming the pain is practice practice in the yard, in the snow, in the rain, in the heat of summer, year round then and only then will your arms not be tired/sore.. i fish year round and have very little arm pain..only once last year did i have any fatquie that is when i pitched with a lefty reel for 4 hours straight with out #1 changing hands and#2 putting the rod down at all.. plus i was just getting used to the lefty reel..

zooker
Old 03-09-06, 04:51 PM   #24
Denny_K

Default cool

Thanks gang for all the great info Denny
Old 03-09-06, 05:15 PM   #25
JB

I have to work up the number of hours I can run the rogue during the spring, it tends to make the forearm sore, but everyones different, some have their wrist bother them, I tend to notice my shoulder hurting more than wrist, but then again I am always sore somewhere on any given day, so whats a new spot huh?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.