Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-08, 12:19 AM   #1
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lake Guntersville

Hey Guys, A buddy of mine asked me to fish a tourney with him on lake Guntersville. I have been out of the boat for a while ( aloooong while) and couldn't say no.
I was wondering what the lake is like, what the bite is like right now and what would any of you guys suggest? I have 5 rods, 3 casters and 2 spinners.
what line works best for different types of fishing? i.e. Carolina rig vs. spinner baits, are the bass going to be off the beds? we hit the water on the 17th. gonna try and pre-fish on Fri. Is the grass bad or a good thing on this lake?
I just have been away for toooo long. but now i am back and would like to at least make a good showing.

Thanks in advance
Oh yah we are going to stay at Covenant cove. the launch is close to or at this place.
(never been)
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 07:37 AM   #2
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

welcome to the board. The spinner bite is good right now in the mornings. you'll be looking for submerged grassbeds. Those same beds need to be fished with worms or lizards after the morning bite. Most of the spawn is over, you can still find fish post spawn near the beds that are feeding up again before leaving. Line = I like to use braid on everything that is reaction ( spinner, cranks, etc.) it just cuts through the grass and makes fishing easier. I use mono with my worms. Good luck!
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:13 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not sure what the lake is like, bamabassman or WTL might chime in here with some info. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and post this:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=15178
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:16 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

excatly what bothomas said. on the lizards...use a zoom 6" punkinseed with a faded chartruse tail. DEEP IN THE GRASS!!! your gonna get stuck in the grass, fish every hole there is that you can cast to. STAY TILL YOU'VE FISHED IT THROUGHLY!! paddle outa the grass and find another spot, then repeat. when you throw to a hole, throw past it and drag the lizard to the edge, let it sink and drag it till you get to the other edge.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:17 PM   #5
bamabassman

oh yea, thanks mississippiboy for the post. and welcome to the house-o-nuts backinthesaddle. come on down in june. we'll get the lake figured out for ya.
Old 05-07-08, 10:30 PM   #6
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks a lot guys!!!! I havent stopped thinking fishing since my buddy put the bug in my ear. didnt realize how much I missed slingin blades and worms! I am not going to go long between fishing trips from now on!!!!!
Old 05-08-08, 08:33 AM   #7
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

come back and in June and we'll put some fish in the boat. The blade bite will still be good and we may be throwing big power worms by then if the grass is up.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 11:11 PM   #8
backinthesaddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking maybe a boat in the near future

I'm going to try and buy a boat in the next few days. 2000 sprint 17' w/ johnson 115. 80 hrs. on motor. it looks like new. hope it works out. doin the fish-n-ski thing so maybe the wife wont blow a gasket too hard.
Old 05-10-08, 01:30 AM   #9
bamabassman

lmao, i tried that route as well. then bought another boat, then another, and now have a bass boat and a pontoon for me and the wife and friends. gotta get the wife a jet ski or seedoo just for her. oh...she loves the bass boat by the way. and the pontoon. AND the travel trailer, hahahaha. i am boat and acc. POOR NOW!!! hahaha, went through 3 other bass boats in 2 years before i settled on the 4th. love my cajun now. backinthesaddle, you get your wife out there on the boat and she'll be hooked in no time my friend.good luck buddy. hope you get the boat in time for the get together.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.