Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-06, 09:21 PM   #1
planxdownfall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall
Default fly fishing combo.

I do alot of trout fishing up in the adirondacks. i fly fished twice and loved it. I do alot of spinning up there though. now i want to get into fly fishing for bass. I dont own a fly fishing rod though. would this be ok for starting out, i dont have much money to spend, after i blew it all on my spinning rods. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...cmCat=VIEWCART
i was going to get something from my local shop, like i always do, but it was going to be around 300-400, after line and backing and everything else. help me out please.
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 11:31 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a 5 piece pfleugner 5/6 weight kit with the same reel and have used it for smallies in N Alabama, trout in southern tennessee, and wild trout and salmon parr in Scotland...its a great buy, packs easy and you can even put it in a suitcase and take it on a plane.

You know my folks used to only flyfish for bass in Alabama way back in the 50s. My Grandfather caught a 9 pound lm on a flyrod in southern tennessee as well, on a flyrod that today you could get for 3 bucks at any estate sale....heavy fiberglass with old school leaders and everything. They learned to flyfish and learned well with equipment that by today's standards was terrible. You can literally buy better gear with 20 bucks at walmart. Don't be fooled into the idea that you need 300 dollars to get a good setup. Good is a time sensitive idea, all the high priced gear that today is selling for a premium one day will be looked down on , sold at yardsales for pennies on the dollar even despite inflation.

The point is, yes, get the pluegner, you will do fine. Spend the rest of the money on gas, flies, extra leaders and then save the rest and put that in a stable mutual fund with a good track record.
Old 09-20-06, 04:45 AM   #3
zooker

i like a 5-6 wt for trout it also lets you use it for bass or gills. rod lenth really depends on how much brush is around the stream. big streams a 12 foot will work small creeks with a lot of brush a 9 footer is better..as a beginner you want a "level"line .
i think i seen the rods and reel at hwy 49 for some where in the $50 range -not sure- my own sticks are better than most. i have done it alot longer..

zooker
Old 09-20-06, 09:27 AM   #4
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zook, you make your own fly rods?
Old 09-20-06, 05:47 PM   #5
zooker

nope.. i have a ton of them too. i used to fly fish worst than i do bass fish now.. i have 2 eagle claw, 2 ovis, 4 fenwicks 3 custom white river jct rods-these aint bps rods- and a strange fiberglass one -i have no idea who makes it- the eagle claw rods 10-11 wt are set up for steele head/salmon.most are 5-6 wt with 2. a wrj and a orvis a 2-3 wt.. the wt is just a matter of saying action the lower the number the lighter the rod is 2-3 wt rod is like an super ultra light spinning rod the 10-11 are like light salt water tackle rods..
the differance is basicly the baits you throw for the 2-3 wt nothing bigger than a 14-hook size- fly. 10-11wt you can chunk 15/0 streamers for tarpon or musky..

zooker
Old 09-20-06, 06:14 PM   #6
PowerBass

I got a cabelas rod, I want a fenwick...
Old 09-20-06, 10:26 PM   #7
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For bass i would get 7-9 weight rod in 9 foot length. Since your just starting I would nt get a really expensive combo. Bass pro has somegood combos that are good for beginners. Your local pro shop might also have some good deals.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 06:21 AM   #8
Christopherkeene9

I got the bass pro $80 8wt. has everything you need except flies, I would recommend changing that leader on their to your own or one you buy!!!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:38 AM   #9
flbassman

I got the 20$ walmart special and I love it. PIcked up a bamboo rod from a little shop in maine two years back, but it broke when we moved...
Old 09-21-06, 03:18 PM   #10
Captmikestarrett

Default Since I do alot of fly fishing

Perhaps I can help. Like spinning tackle and any other forms of fishing there are ones for each style of fly fishing. But since you wish to save money and try to do it all in the LGMouth arena I will give you this advice. Pick a nine foot 7/8 wt rod with fast tip and any reel you like. BUT always get an extra spool or two if you can. The reel just holds the line. A LGMouth will never put you on the "reel". Lines make the setup work. A good line in a floating bass taper can cost 50 bucks plus. Second spool will have an intermediate line (slow sinking) and the third spool should be a quality sinking line like Teeny / Rio Lake / or even a T-14 home built. Short 20 lb flouro leaders and big hair bugs are the ticket. A stripping basket can save you much headache BTW. Can be homemade from a dish pan. Lots of tricks to save money too in fly fishing.

Like I have heard so many times if Orvis made fishing rocks for throwing at fish they would cost 200.00 and be mined only from English Chalk Streams..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.