Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-05, 01:50 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default light help

I just purchased a 1998 f150 to pull my Triton.The truck has a 6 round for wire plugin.The boat has a 4 flat.To make them fit, I purchased an adapter from Ford.I plugged them in and the brake lights and signal lights work.However,the running lights don't work on the trailer.I made sure the metal prongs are touching the metal on the adapter.The wiring seems to be intact and connected.I'm at a loss .Am I overlooking something.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks Mike
Old 12-11-05, 04:07 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mike if you have a tester check to see if they have juice . If you have juice , then there is a bad ground causing the problem. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 04:31 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

huh? 6 round?? 98 ford has a four wire plug in built into the wiring harness in that year of truck . it will likly be in the center between the spare and the bumper like at the large coragated wiring cover/protector. the section should have black eletrical tape on it. some have a cover look for a small box like thing. that is the same size as the 4 wire plug. this is a direct wiring hook up. if you plug it in and still get nothing check your trailer wires..

zooker
Old 12-11-05, 06:05 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default confused

When I look inside the hookup box, there are 6 prongs that form a circle. In the middle of this are 2 more prongs.The adapter has 4 metal contact points on the side that inserts into the box.The side that sticks out has a spot for 4 flat.????????????
Old 12-11-05, 08:18 PM   #5
zooker

ummm not sure what a 6 pinner is doing on a 98..may have to go thru individal wires to hook up -which sucks-

but who am i ? i only have a masters degree in eletrical engineering..but work in a saw shop...

zooker
Old 12-12-05, 05:09 PM   #6
Unregistered

Default problem solved

I first went to the boat yard and they said there was no power coming from the truck. So I left and went to a Ford dealer who had a service opening today.They took it in the work bay,and they fixed it in 5 minutes.Just a fuse under the hood.Believe it or not,the F150 has 3 fuses just for the trailer lights.I eould never have found that fuse! merry Chistmas,the dealer gave me a free-be!!!!!!Thanks to everyone who gave their input.Mike
Old 12-12-05, 07:34 PM   #7
zooker

i have owned 4 ford rangers 88,93,2000,2005. the 2000,2005 auto tranny's work on a full circuty system. blow a fuse -any fuse- and the truck starts shifting odd and hard like it is missing a gear in the auto tranny. according to the ford it is an speed control modular. cost $289 just for the part. you are looking at $400 for total work inculding computer time. so if you have this problem check all of your fuses.. my understanding is that all fords now are wired this way...

zooker
Old 12-12-05, 10:30 PM   #8
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nutin beats a FORD on the road. Especially dead animals, hitchhikers, pedestrians, small kids on bicycles.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.