Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-06, 08:45 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default To the unregistered posters

First, let me say welcome!

I read Huck's thread on fights, and maybe I can shed a little light on the subject. I've been on this forum for quite a while, and seen it grow quite a bit. The problem, as WTL stared on another thread, is when you get a bunch of different people together there can be disagreements. There have been quite a few times in the past when an unregistered poster will post something that is not what we normally expect-you can probably figure out what I mean , and comes across as someone trying to be "cute" or just to cause trouble so they don't get taken seriously and the insults start to appear. Most of the time that is the case, but there have been a few exceptions. However, there is a solution: Why not register? If you register, which is free and easy, BTW, the "regulars" figure you are not coming on a message board just to cause trouble and that right there will give you more credibility. Then just hang around and let us get to know you and you to know us. This really is a good bunch here-there are some pretty good fishermen here and this is a good place to share info.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with not registering if you don't wish to, but I would hope you would. We would love to have you join us.

Tight lines!
Old 01-19-06, 09:20 PM   #2
WTL

Something I'll add to what Reb has said is that I personally enjoy just getting to know the several members around here. I'm a participant on plenty of boards where the information is just exchanged with little social interaction, but this board is different - it almost resembles a club in some aspects whereas we all know each others idiosyncrisies. I can also use what I know about each given poster on here as background to the info they give. If zook recomends a certain jig - I can throw that info out for instance cause I know zook doesn't know jigs. If I wanna ask about jigs, I ask PnJ. If I wanna know whats going on in Florida, and I will want to know this in a couple months, I can PM Rob. There are lots of kids on here also. Thats great, God knows I'm just a few years removed from being a kid myself - I can relate to what it was like just getting into bass fishing. But sometimes the info they give might come from a different perspective - so its good to know who you are dealing with.

Anyways, there have been lots of guests on here latelty and I think it would make the board that much better if they went ahead and registered so we can keep up with who is who. I would even go so far as to recomend here to Kevin that he make registering mandatory, although it is his board its my opinion that things would be better around here if that were the case.
Old 01-19-06, 09:23 PM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

most boards won't let you post if you don't register.i think everybody should register.
Old 01-19-06, 09:46 PM   #4
Marvin

I have been enjoying this forum as un registered guest for sometime. I have learned from reading information on the forum. And I don't see the unregistered as being a problem, on the contrary I feel it's quite the opposite. I sure don't want to be shut out from viewing your post, and at the same time I don't won't to be forced to register. You ask me why not? Why should I? Just because I don't post, doesn't mean I don't know each one of the regulars here. My name is at the top. I don't know your names, and it doesn't matter. I cause no trouble with anyone, and I won't as long as I am reading the post and not writting them. So, on that note, and my first post I will sign off. Thank each of you for all the good information, it has helped me to become a better bass fisherman.
Old 01-19-06, 09:56 PM   #5
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Reb,
I'm not just talking about the non registered users. Take for example the fellow just above me Marvin. He seems like a nice guy. My complaint is with the guys who throw the insults, members included. If posters don't agree with one another just ignor the post. Don't add post after post of nonsense. If someone is looking for information (younger members) they have to search through all the stuff.
I don't care if someone is reading the posts, but it is too easy for an unreg to cause problems.
End of my thread
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 10:36 PM   #6
Rebbasser

We're on the same page, Huck. I'm just trying to cut down on the conflicts.

Marvin, if you do not want to register you are still welcome. I hope you do start posting, though-gives us a chance to get to know you.
Old 01-19-06, 10:42 PM   #7
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

gotucha Reb just want the folks to be nice.
Hey want some spider wire or spider line
check out my post i'm giving it away
Saw tha BIG Boat Pres Bush 41 was on congrats to your city. Love to hit a lake with that baby.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 11:16 PM   #8
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Obviously I am one of the registered posters who are guilty of arguing post after post. With insults and comments repeatedly coming at me, I felt the need to explain where I was coming from. Mostly, I tried to be cordial, but I truly felt some of you guys were coming across rude. If my words were vocalized I'm sure it wouldn't seem like anything more than friendly debate. Unforunately, the written word forces the reader to make his own assumptions about the tone of the message, Being new to the forum, I'm truly sorry to make anyone upset and will choose my words more carefully and add smilies and jk to potentially offensive statements. Sorry again guys, this is my new favorite site and I'm sure its one of yours too. I will do my best not to turn it into those forums about other topics where arguing is the only thing they do.

About unregs: A friend, who I recommended this site to, has registered as Howardbware, but his posts come up as unregistered. He doesn't want to post helpful information or favorite lure posts in case he can't find where he posted them and answer any follow up questions. He also can't get an avatar, something about confirmation? Do and of you vets know how to remedy this?
Old 01-19-06, 11:46 PM   #9
Kevin
Administrator

I think this is a great post by Reb, with some good insight from WTL and others, so I thought I would chime in. First off, I whole-heartedly agree with Rebbasser, that everyone should register as a member and become a part of the community you guys have built. Like Reb said, it's quick and easy and you'll be welcomed to the family.

I'm extremely proud of the members of this forum. Though there have been some minor quarrels and tiffs in the past, I am amazed at how little moderating I actually have to do. The veterans know how to keep the peace, and the new guys - young and old - feel the respect and open arms you guys give.

In light of the many good points you guys bring up here and in posts I have read in recent past... I have gone ahead and disallowed unregistered guests from posting. I believe this is a good move for the forums and will help make BassFishin.Com even better. I appreciate the advice you all have shared and I'm glad to help out! Take care and good fishin'

Kevin
Old 01-19-06, 11:49 PM   #10
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
A friend, who I recommended this site to, has registered as Howardbware, but his posts come up as unregistered. He doesn't want to post helpful information or favorite lure posts in case he can't find where he posted them and answer any follow up questions. He also can't get an avatar, something about confirmation? Do and of you vets know how to remedy this?
Hey Patrick, I looked up your friends account and it seems to be set up just fine. We have had some wierd instances of certain accounts becoming corrupt in the past for whatever reason, so it is hard to say what could be the problem. If you could have him email me, I could help him login and get settled in. I may need to recreate his account to fix any fluke problems that may have occured during registration. You can have him email me at info@bassfishin.com . We'll get him squared away and posting in no time. Thanks for the heads up on his account. Take care.

Kevin
Old 01-20-06, 01:05 AM   #11
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

At first I didn't want to register for fear of asking stupid questions. Once I did register I asked away. The help has been very beneficial in learning the art and sharred secrets of bass fishing. Great bunch of guys here both young and old. Most answers are not belittling to the poster, which is a plus. You guys who have been here for a long time put up with the newcomers questions that have been asked numerious times before. Therefore more learned fishermen. Not a smart answer to an overabused question but a subtle notice to check previous posts for the answer. Case in point "how do you fish a senko?", or what lure is best for?". Patience is a virtue, which is why we are fishermen.

Bob
Old 01-20-06, 05:54 AM   #12
zooker

take my word for it bob ask a serious question in detail-helps us know your joking or not-no matter how stupid it sounds odds are some one will anwser it..

zooker
Old 01-20-06, 05:58 PM   #13
pig n jig

I like having the unregistered people here. I go to their defense when they are right and I get accused of posting as an unregistered, when in fact I have not been posting as an unregistered lately. Even the Waltons argued. Man thats old. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 06:04 PM   #14
zooker

real old

zooker
Old 01-21-06, 12:24 AM   #15
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

just my 2 cents...1st thanks kevin for not allowing unregistered to post..i hope they are still allowed to read..2nd,a hearty welcome and a slap on the back to all you new members...3rd,i for one like to kinda know who i'm dealing with,so i look at the profile.if i see no info on there chances are i would not reply to it...also keep your waders on cuz the BS gets really deep sometimes.
finally...this is the best danged BASS fishing site on the whole danged internet.........see what i mean about the waders..lmao!
and reb, as usual......great thread

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.