Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-06, 08:05 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default inventing out of the box

now we all know that i am normally not sane, which helps. and yes i have been called the king of thinking outside the box.

how did i get to this point ? dam if i know all of it but part of it is #1 is 20 years of yankee trout fishing,#2 time spent fishing, #3 gut feeling,#4 pure dumb luck.

for example several years ago 2 large area lakes were drawn down to a no access point. no one could get out on either lake. every body was crowded into a small 1500 acre impoundment. they figured 800+ anglers a weekend were on this lil lake. i fished this lake regularly the weekend be fore i hit a bridge with a jointed shad rap snapping the lip.i tossed the bait down on the floor and kept going. as i pulled up in the upper creek area with lilly pads.every one was chunking worms,jigs,spinner baits. as i sat back lookin at the 30+ boats sitting in 10 acres of lilly pads. the busted lipped bait caught my eye. the gears started turning as i tied it on.the lilly pad area is a broad flat with a creek running the lenth the creek is 3-4 feet deep the flat is 2-3 feet deep-with 3 feet of muck under it-i started elbowing my way thru the other boats moving up the creek channel i caught several bass in the 300-400 yards of the creek that is passable. i moved into a vancant spot on the flat and caught several more bass. in about 20 mintues i had 3 boats sitting with in arm reach. and the others were either throwing a crankbait or looking at me with feild glasses to figure out what i was using. what i was using was simple a jointed shad rap in shad color. the thing no body saw was the busted lip.
this very bait here

after i fished this day i went home and took a hack saw to a couple more of these baits. why is this bait so special? simple it only dives 12" and has twice the movement of a pointer at a steady retrive.
guys throwing a jointed shad rap were digging to deep and getting into the muck. and to be honest no other bait made moves like a jointed shad rap..

the followin week 3 poeple were shot in this area of the creek. i advoided this creek till the water levels in the other lakes permitted their use. i still fish this style of modfication on a jointed shad rap to fish in this specific area.

if some one has the picture of one of my modified cranks i posted on THIS web site a year or so ago please post it..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 02-08-06 at 08:25 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 08:29 PM   #2
JB

Yer puttin' tham special sharp "store bought" trebs on yer cranks aint ya zook?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 08:37 PM   #3
zooker

errr no comment

zooker
Old 02-08-06, 10:13 PM   #4
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ROFL MAO JB. Zook you ever fish those over the submerged grass beds like coon tail or hydrilla when it's still 2 feet below the surface? If not, why not? If so how effective have those been. Damn you Zook ...I feel the Bait Monkey comin' on cause I don't have any jointed shad raps. If I loose my house this month it's your fault. Maybe Kevin will erase this post before too many tourney anglers find it. Seriously though, after cutting the bill down on the other shad raps, how well did they run for ya? Were they still true?
Old 02-09-06, 06:12 PM   #5
zooker

tech i had to move toward the tip giveing the wire foot about 1/8" of plastic. i then used a square and cut the tip off with a hack saw also i marked a nd cut 45 debree angles on both sides turning the bill into a coffin lip you don't want to take 2 much off though just a little bit. i had tune every one but they still run true once they were tuned..

well the reason i never tryed this bait over hydrilla and coon tail is well we don't have any here. the 10 or so acres of lilly pads is- no crap- 1/2 of the entire amount of lilly pads with in 1 hour drive time from right here.

i understand hula pop-r followed my example when i posted it before and caught several good bass..

zooker
Old 02-09-06, 06:38 PM   #6
JB

Hey zooker,\ with that in mind, what do you typically target everytime you go on that body of water? lilypads, docks, droppoffs, timbers,
all of the above? lol...ya have much rip rap to throw at on causeways or dams?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 06:53 PM   #7
zooker

jb
depends on a bit on water temps and water level. spring thru early summer i like the western side main lake area. or the big main creeks. one of which will fool you. the dock bite is a no show here as there is about 20 docks on the entire lake. water level never will go down more than 3 feet -by law- i find when the lake is 18" down is the best fishing.

zooker
Old 02-10-06, 12:27 PM   #8
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Never seen that many lilly pads in the lake that you'r refering to. Granted, there are some in the back of a main creek but man, this water is shallow. Was wondering how well this bait will do in our tournaments this year. Hope it does better than last years ! Now that was a funny.
Old 02-10-06, 09:32 PM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

B30,i don't understand why you would think it would be a bad thing for the pads to be shallow..i get plenty of big fish out of pads in 6" to 2ft of water.
Old 02-13-06, 07:38 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

bassnman

NEVER seen water to shallow fer bass. Dont understand your statement
Old 02-14-06, 05:02 PM   #11
bassnman30

What makes ya'll think that I said shallow wasn't good. I just commented that the water was shallow.
Old 02-14-06, 05:13 PM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

ok,you just confused me..and that's pretty easy to do..lol
Old 02-14-06, 05:49 PM   #13
pig n jig

Aw never mind. I get easily confused enough all on my own without help. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 07:31 PM   #14
zooker

ifin i remember right i kicked you butt on that lake last may bassnman30.. ok so we did place second and got big fish-much to ricky dismay-

zooker
Old 02-16-06, 03:38 PM   #15
bassnman30

Wasn't that the ONLY tournament that you weighed in "A" fish ?
Now that I think about it, that WAS the only one.
What about the others, where I prevailed over you ? Think about it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.