Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-09, 10:06 AM   #1
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Curado squeeling

Ok, so i got an old curado that has started screaming when casted. On other curados and citicas it's usually been the brake pins rubbing the brass hub or the bushing inside the side plate needed to be flipped over, but i've tried all those things and it didn't help. Also tried some hot sauce, but didnt' work. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-09, 10:35 AM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

99% of the time it's a bad bearing. You can probably bring it back to life by breaking down the reel and grabbing any visible round racetrack bearings. Take them out and clean them in a small cup of lighter fluid by swishing it around. Then after drying, put one drop of Hot Sauce on each bearing and put your reel back together.

Cleaning your bearings is the most important part because if you just keep applying oil to a dirty bearing, things tend to only get worse.
Old 01-06-09, 02:47 PM   #3
mont_lunker_hunter

'preciate it
Old 01-06-09, 05:25 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yep a bearing.I was going to say dry bearing but since you use Quantum hot sauce I say its built up dye residue from the hot sauce oil. Clean it lighter fluid and relube it.Sometimes you will see bloodclot like debri come out of the bearings from excessive oiling broken down leaving the red dye from the hot sauce remaining in the bearing.I use Ardent reel butter, imo it is much a better oil. You can use a Qtip and clean the inner ring where the centrifugal weights ride in the side plate.I wax it as well but be extremely light on the wax. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 02:49 PM   #5
mont_lunker_hunter

What do you suppose makes a citica squeel, since it doesn't have bearings?
Old 01-07-09, 03:36 PM   #6
Bryan

I think the Citica has a bearing in the side with a cast control knob, the other side is a bushing, if I'm not mistaken.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 03:53 PM   #7
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I think the Citica has a bearing in the side with a cast control knob, the other side is a bushing, if I'm not mistaken.
Yea... the Citica has two round racetrack bearings. One is under the cast control knob, and the other is on the opposing side plate, where the centrifugal brake assembly is. The latter tends to be the more problematic when squealing is the issue.
Old 01-07-09, 04:18 PM   #8
mont_lunker_hunter

all my citicas have bushings.
Old 01-07-09, 05:15 PM   #9
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishin...9830570286.pdf

Your reel should have 3 or 4 bearings depending on the model plus a roller bearing. On the ends of your spool shaft in the center of the side plate you pull off and under the spool tension knob as Kevin stated.Onein the base of the crank handle shaft and one on the worm gear shaft.

The only way you might have a bushing instead of a bearing is if they are the old White Bantam Citica reels. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 05:19 PM   #10
Bryan

We're probably all talking about different models. I think the "D" has 2 bearings, the previous one had one of each, and maybe the older model had 2 bushings.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.