Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-11, 08:51 PM   #1
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default PLASTICS; in the trash not the water

Hey Folks, I read an artical in the sept. 2011 issue of B.A.S.S. TIMES that was a real eye opener. The author wrote about a fish he caught on lake Amistad in Texas. The fish died from a deep hook so he dressed it out only to find 12 soft plastic baits balled up in it's stomach. It also states that biologist have proven a fish that eats these baits can suffer serious intestinal blockage resulting in weight loss and or death. If you get a chance to read read this write up please do so, and keep your old baits in your boat until you get back to the dock and dispose of them properly. I know I will from now on. Bill
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 10:30 PM   #2
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree. Nice post
Old 09-14-11, 10:36 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A fish I caught earlier this summer had something funny sticking out of its gut. I used pliers and started pulling on the 1/4" thing. Turned out to be a swollen up senko-type worm. It was about 7" long and really big around. I bet that fish would have died trying to digest that thing.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:04 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by champman View Post
Hey Folks, I read an artical in the sept. 2011 issue of B.A.S.S. TIMES that was a real eye opener. The author wrote about a fish he caught on lake Amistad in Texas. The fish died from a deep hook so he dressed it out only to find 12 soft plastic baits balled up in it's stomach. It also states that biologist have proven a fish that eats these baits can suffer serious intestinal blockage resulting in weight loss and or death. If you get a chance to read read this write up please do so, and keep your old baits in your boat until you get back to the dock and dispose of them properly. I know I will from now on. Bill
Very good advice! Thanks for posting this bit of info.
Old 09-15-11, 09:48 AM   #5
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I always wondered what would happen if a fish ate those plastics. Of course, I believe in "packing out more than I pack in", so i keep all my baits and trash for the trash can, but in the back of my mind, the stingy side of me is thinking there might be a second life to all those plastics I go through, so I keep all my discards in a giant zip-lock(?). Thanks for the article.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:50 AM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks for the info! I keep all my used plastics to be melted down and re-used!
Old 09-15-11, 01:36 PM   #7
TritonTR175DC
BassFishin.Com Member

If this is a true issue, maybe the the plastics need to be made to degrade over time. I would hate to see fish dying from this and will make sure all used ones from me and my co-anglers do the same.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-15-11, 03:43 PM   #8
JustinCTPA
BassFishin.Com Member

Good post, thanks for the info. Not that I typically dump my used plastics overboard but I'll be extra careful to ensure they are disposed of properly.
JustinCTPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 05:54 PM   #9
bamabassman

very good advice pal. thanks a lot!
Old 09-15-11, 11:39 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

I keep all the used plastics I can to melt and re-pour, but can't count how many times fish have thrown my worms free during a fight. But not to worry...Great Blue Herons, Big Blues Cats, Stripers, Pike, Gar etc kill WAY more Bass than a bowel obstruction. Plus it is worth noting that PETA and other extreme left groups are constantly monitoring this and similar sites to pick their next fight......last thing we need is a blockaide around the Zoom aisle.
Old 09-16-11, 02:23 AM   #11
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I always keep a "dead pile" of plastic just behind the front deck of my boat every trip and throw them away when I remember to. Same goes for fishing line.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 06:28 AM   #12
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I always keep a "dead pile" of plastic just behind the front deck of my boat every trip and throw them away when I remember to. Same goes for fishing line.
Yep, same here for me. Except I don't throw away the plastics, which are senkos and zoom speed worms in my case. I take the soldering iron to them and repair them all for reuse, even the ones that are split completely into 2 pieces.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 07:57 PM   #13
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Good tip! Always haul out more than I went in with! Trying to figure out how to get pop/beer cans off the bottom!

Gotta get more info on remolding my own! My 3x ribbontails are no longer available!
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.