Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-06, 06:33 PM   #1
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Finesse Rod

Well I'm down sizing my finesse gear this year. Going from a size 20 reel to a new catalyst 10 PT and 6 pound line. All's I need now is a good rod. I was looking at St. Croix Avid 6.5-7' light rod with fast or ultra fast action. Is a light action to light for bass or would a medium light rod fit my setup?
fishn'fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 12:34 AM   #2
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

it isnt but you just have to take your time bringin them back to the boat

my father uses lihgt action rod all the time for bass
Old 01-07-06, 12:39 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Depends on what you are going to be using it for. I use a ML Falcon Low Rider for drop shotting, but just ordered a MH Low Rider for finesse-but the type I will be fishing is a shakey head jig with the finesse bait T-rigged, so I need more backbone to set the hook. I think if you go with a M action you will have a good all-around finesse rod, but to answer your question with the rods you are looking at I'd go with the ML.
Old 01-07-06, 12:41 AM   #4
bass kicker

thats what i stick to is the medium action rods
Old 01-07-06, 06:00 AM   #5
zooker

most of my fishing style is power fishing. i really do not use a drop shot rig as it is just too dam slow-hey i even hate c-riggin- i use alot of t-rigged plastics and skip them under docks all 3 of my finesse rods are fairly light ml,m,mh in that order. 2- 6 foot spinning rods and a 7 foot mh -more of an m then any thing really-. but i will refuse to light line all 3 of them have 12 pound line on them. i use 8 pound for cranks but every thing else is 12 +pound test.

zooker
Old 01-08-06, 02:09 AM   #6
bass kicker

i dont really like using light line unless im using twisty taited grubs when there is walleye and northerns in the same lake
Old 01-08-06, 06:42 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

FishinFOol

IMHO you really dont need to drop down that light. Even in these waters down here or even when I lived in pa. I never used anything any lighter than a med rod. Reason being it will handle any test line you'd be using and have enough backbone to get a good set and turn a bass from cover if needed.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 08:49 PM   #8
pig n jig

Remember Saint Croix stix are rated different.A MH is like a heavy rating in most other rod brands.Rebbasser, Where did you get the shakey head jigs from ? I seen them at Janns netcraft . Mark Zona is going to be a rich man one way or another. I seen some so called shakey heads for sale , but they didn't have the 60 degree eye. I have been using football jigs doing the same thing years ago.The football head snags easily on a low rod tip, just load the rod tip up some and the jig will pop free and settle back to the botttom.You drop the rod tip when the jig pops free and it only scoots and drops a short distance imatating a crayfish.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 09:12 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Remember Saint Croix stix are rated different.A MH is like a heavy rating in most other rod brands. P N J
So you know a little about ST Croix HUH ROTFLMAO. Excellent point though, just couldn't resist

As for the question, why do you consider "FINESSE" fishing using light equipment. It could be a lot of things, say using 20lb Fireline, on a Medium Heavy St Croix rod with a weightless Black Zoom lizard I want the fish to the boat fast, not fighting it, wearing it out, with more chances of it getting away, and dying from the stress of the fight. JMO of course.

Lizards
Old 01-08-06, 09:46 PM   #10
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I didn't know finesse fishing would be considered anything but smaller line, smaller baits. I think 20lb line, a mh rod and trick worm is already considered a style of fishing. Finesse is a nother tool to use to get bit. Sometimes 20 or 10 pound line wont cut it. It's hard to get fish to bite in a clear gravel pit thats 60-70 feet deep on bulky baits with heavy line.
I don't think finesse fishing causes fish to be stressed out or even die. Most of the time fish die is because they are hooked in the gullet or gills, handled to much which will cause fungus, removing their slime coat, or low dissolved oxygen in live wells.
I'm sure fish exert more energy chasing pray or even in the spawning process. Finesse fishing alone won't cause fish to die.
Old 01-08-06, 09:56 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn'fool
Finesse fishing alone won't cause fish to die.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that point. The Scientific documentation would also disagree with your theory. The longer a fish is stressed by being fought on the end of a hook, the more apt it is to become susceptible to parasites, and death. That's a fact. And using 6lb test line and a ML rod to get a 5lb fish to the boat or shore is gonna take a lot longer than heavier equipment, if you can get it in that is. I didn't post my response to be aimed at getting you or anyone else fired up. This is a opinionated issue. You are free to fish with whatever equipment you choose. Aint it great to live in AMERICA

Lizards
Old 01-08-06, 10:17 PM   #12
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I know it is a fact that fish will die when they are fought to long, due to a chemical that is released in their muscles. But I don't see fighting a fish on 6 pound line would be enough time to really stress them out and cause that chemical to be released, I don't know. I've caught a four and a five pound bass on 10 pound line with a medium light rod and the fight wasn't that long, no more than a minute. IDk!?!?!? But I do know what your sayin.
Old 01-08-06, 10:40 PM   #13
zooker

lizzy i hate to disagreee with you. but once the fish is on play him as long as it takes to get him to the boat. a big fish on a light outfit is played more by drag than the rod. 5 pound bass don't get that big unless they know how to fight. in fl this is the reason they have x-heavy rods with 120 pound braid to yank big fish out of the nasty weeds you have there. but using as fool said a finesse rod of mh with 6-which i think it crazy-pound test. is a differant story. play the fish even in the heat of summer. if the fight is long or the fish is bleeding toss it in your live well throw some ice in crank up the areator. let it run. 15-20 mintues the fish will be good as new and you can put him back in the lake. after all this IS what your live well is for keeping fish alive...

zooker
Old 01-08-06, 10:55 PM   #14
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker- 6 pound is crazy??? 120, Isn't that over kill, LOL. We use that for our throw lines and diddy poles to get 50 pound flat heads!
Old 01-09-06, 08:00 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Lizards
I'm with u on this one. GET EM IN NOWWW. Longer fights on lite line do bring up the chance of mortality. Its been proven time and again by biologists. I dont recall the chemical that is released but all mamals have it. Ever kill a deer that has been run by dogs and then skin it and not only will you see the evidence but you can actually taste it. Yes you can cool off the water and add chemicals to the live well to enhance survival but there are some people that dont take care of there catch.Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-06, 10:56 AM   #16
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

IMO,get them to the boat ASAP..ski them back to the boat...
nothing more annoying than watch someone playing a 1 lb fish for 5 min,hooting and hollering so you can hear them across the lake.like they're the only one that ever caught a fish that big..lol
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 05:59 PM   #17
bass kicker

i with zooker if the fish is a little grogy throw it in the livewell and wait to see it recover and if it dont fillet it and fry it up
Old 01-09-06, 06:09 PM   #18
pig n jig

I flipped jigs my first year on 60lb Ande mono.I switched to 130 lb Magibraid the second year and slowly reduced to the 30lb Tuf line Xp braid that I currently use.In Heavy cover the heavy line didn't matter, I liked it because you can grab the line and pull a wad of grass and bass in by hand and not get cut like you do the thinner lines. P N J
Old 01-09-06, 06:21 PM   #19
pig n jig

Tom, You got me laughing on that one. I want them in the boat as quick as possible.Otherwise I would use 4lb test and a snoopy rod.Maybe a Scooby Doo rod instead of Snoopy ?Don't forget the matching Mystery Machine tackle box. P N J
Old 01-09-06, 06:54 PM   #20
pig n jig

Lizzy, I know a little bout Saint Crow rods. They can't compare to Kistler by most peoples standards, but are they right ? Lmao... P N J
Old 01-10-06, 07:11 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

Man I got the shaft. When I got my scooby rod I dint get my mystery machine tackle box. Wait till I get ahold of the manufactuer.
Old 01-10-06, 10:51 PM   #22
bass kicker

ya you got screwed over i got the snoopy rod and it came with a snoopy bobber

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.