Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-08, 06:09 PM   #1
dano67
BassFishin.Com Member

Default river fishing

how do i fish the river in barren springs va.Ive been fishing all day with earth worms and no bites.help....
dano67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 06:25 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Welcome to the boards!

More information would be helpful please.

How were you fishing the worms? Were you using a certain rig? What rod/line/reel were you using? What areas of the river were you fishing?

-Lunk-
Old 02-20-08, 05:29 PM   #3
3dkicker

You're fishing the New river and Claytor lake. Depending on where and how you are fishing will determine your success. How deep is the water? What cover are you fishing? Wood or rock? How deep is your bait? Right now fish will stay deep and some will come up shallow to feed. Banks with sharp drop offs will be your best bet.

You need to come out to the Civic Center this weekend too!!!

Last edited by 3dkicker; 02-20-08 at 06:01 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 06:32 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

on the new river-the nc part-i use pop-r's,shallow shad raps, and original rapala's for them frisky smallies..

zooker
Old 02-25-08, 09:28 PM   #5
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to fish with plastics in the local river in Tawas City, MI. It is shallow river, have to use a kayak to get down it but it is worth it. My personal favorite bait to use is the YUM Zellamander, their wont be any doubt that you had a bite the fish just hammer it. Watermelon with a chartruese tail is the best color.
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 10:53 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

I use allot of soft plastics. There alittle cheaper if you loose a lure. My first go to bait is the texas rigged worm behind wing dams. Find creak openings & river openings. From the main part of the river i throw sassy shad up these openings. Then i swim them back to the boat. Many times there are these fat old hawgs that set at these opening eating baitfish that swin out of the creaks & smaller rivers. I also flip 10 inch worms in to rocks, brush, trees. Look for barges. I love spinner bait fishing around these things that have been parked for a long time. Don't for get to fish up the canals,creeks & Rivers. Live bait is ok. but reality is you'll proably get more Gar & Catfish than anything else.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 10:58 AM   #7
brushhog

dano, try the search tool on top.... There have been some excellent, lengthy discussions on river fishing before. I owe the little success I've had on the river to this forum...
Old 02-27-08, 11:25 AM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Dano67 let me know how i can help you. I fish the missouri River allot. I fish just about every condition you can think of. There's proably not anything you can't ask. The big river is muddy there are Debri,wing dams,edies, rip rap ,canals,Creaks, river openings,Dams. Even ice flow in early spring. The ice melts in south dakota then flows down river. This can be very hard to navigate & the bass seam to be spawning about that time.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 07:19 PM   #9
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dano, check out the January issue of Bassmaster magazine. There's an article in there about a "new" technique for fishing river environments like what ya'll got. It's on the James but its about the head waters so it's gonna to be pretty similar to the New River conditions. Good luck, man. You outta snag some nice bronzebacks out of that beautiful river.

Shout out to all the Appalachian rascals!!

P2
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.