Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-11, 06:05 PM   #51
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Well I guess we're going to find out

Some of us sooner than others.

FROM THE F&W WEB SITE

MassWildlife News Commonwealth of Massachusetts – Division of Fisheries and Wildlife Wayne F. MacCallum, Director __________________________________________________ _________________________ Email: Mass.Wildlife@state.ma.us Visit our Website! www.mass.gov/masswildlife Media Inquiries: Call (617) 626-1052

FRESHWATER LEAD SINKER AND JIG BAN TAKES EFFECT JANUARY 1, 2012

The Division of Fisheries and Wildlife (DFW) reminds all freshwater anglers that as of January 1, 2012, the use of any lead fishing sinkers and lead jigs weighing less than one ounce is now prohibited in all inland waters (freshwater) of the Commonwealth. In terms of this regulation, “lead sinker” or “lead weight” is defined as any sinker or weight made from lead that weighs less than 1 ounce. A “lead jig” is defined as any lead-weighted hook weighing less than one ounce. Prohibited tackle includes lead sinkers and jigs (weighing less than an ounce) painted, coated with some other substance or with attached “skirts”. Other types of sinkers, fishing lures, and/or fishing tackle including, artificial lures, hooks, weighted flies, lead-core, buzz-baits, spinner baits, or other weighted fishing lines may still be used for freshwater fishing. Ecologically safe alternatives to lead sinkers and lead jigs (such as steel and tin) are readily available from many sources and come in a wide variety of styles, shapes, weights, and sizes to meet every type of fishing need.

In 2009, the Fisheries and Wildlife Board unanimously voted to prohibit the use of lead sinkers and jigs weighing less than an ounce with the provision that the regulation go into effect January 1, 2012. This delay gave manufacturers and anglers time to adjust to these changes. “The regulation was implemented primarily to protect the state’s small population of Common Loon (Gavia immer),” said Dr. Mark Tisa, Assistant Director of Fisheries. Common Loons are a state listed Species of Special Concern.

Historically, the Common Loon nested in Massachusetts, but was extirpated in the late nineteenth century. In 1975, a pair of loons was discovered nesting in Quabbin Reservoir. The population has increased, and today approximately 32 territorial pairs can be found on 14 lakes, ponds, and reservoirs in the Commonwealth, the southern limit of the loon’s breeding range. Large piscivorous (fish-eating) birds that rely on sight to capture their prey, loons require relatively large nesting territories and water of high clarity; hence their population growth here is limited by the availability of this habitat.

Ingestion of lead fishing gear is the single largest cause of mortality for adult loons in fresh water in New England. Veterinarians at Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine examined 483 dead adult loons and determined that approximately 44% of these birds died as the result of lead poisoning. Their research documented that ingestion of small lead sinkers and jigs accounted for approximately 79% of the lead objects recovered from loons that died from lead poisoning in fresh water. A single lead sinker or split shot can poison a loon. A bird with lead poisoning exhibits physical and behavioral changes, including loss of balance, gasping, tremors, and impaired ability to fly. The weakened bird is more vulnerable to predators and may have trouble feeding, mating, nesting, and caring for its young. A loon becomes emaciated and often dies within 2 to 3 weeks after ingesting the lead.

Loons ingest lead sinkers and lead jigs in two ways. One is when loons take minnows hooked as bait on a fishing line. The loon breaks off the line and then swallows the hook, line, swivel, and sinker or jig. A second ingestion method apparently occurs when loons ingest small pebbles from lake bottoms to help grind food in their gizzards. It appears they may inadvertently swallow lead sinkers and jigs while engaged in this activity, or are perhaps actively choosing them for some other reason (possibly because of their unique size, shape, or shine).

“Through this new conservation regulation it is possible to reduce the chance of lead poisoning of loons, a goal all sportsmen should support,” said Dr. Tisa. “Most anglers who have experienced the presence of loons would agree that sightings of these magnificent birds and the enjoyment of their iconic, eerie calls adds to the quality of any fishing experience.”

Sporting and fishing clubs, bait and tackle stores, watershed associations, marinas, and other conservation organizations can help get the message about the new regulation in several ways: making announcements at meetings, publishing the information in newsletters or email blasts, or posting a flyer announcing the lead sinker ban available from the DFW website at: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recre...nker_flyer.pdf.
Old 01-06-12, 08:27 AM   #52
NewfoundLakerMal
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Lead Tackle Ban

We already have a ban on lead tackle in the State of NH. I just don't know how to tell what sinkers are lead and which ones are tungsten. I hate the thought of throwing out all my tackle and starting over.
NewfoundLakerMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 09:49 PM   #53
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

So some states are looking at, or have passed laws, that say you can use lead but it can't be sold? Or bought?

Looks like I need to start saving all the lead flashings on roof stink pipes!
Old 01-14-12, 02:31 PM   #54
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfoundLakerMal View Post
We already have a ban on lead tackle in the State of NH. I just don't know how to tell what sinkers are lead and which ones are tungsten. I hate the thought of throwing out all my tackle and starting over.
tip #1 lead is much softer...you can press a dent in lead with your thumbnail--not so with tungsten
tip # 2 if you hold two weights of the same weight in your hand the tungsten will be noticeably smaller

politics aside-- tungsten is way more fishable imo
Old 01-16-12, 09:31 PM   #55
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I really honestly do not care whether or not this passes or not.

I actually think itd be good to pass just because of the environmental aspect.

When I started reading this thread I was thinkin "why the hell is everyone *****in' about this all you have to do is buy tungsten weights from now on"

Then I realized that lead is in alot more lures and stuff other than just split shot and sinkers. I think if I had alot more tackle Id be more upset about it, I dont have much more than just plastics and crankbaits.

Just my 0.02 i think itd be good to pass. I think it will eventually pass to, sucks that lure prices and crap will rise though.

If its really gonna make a benefit to the environment like the way they "CLAIM" it will, im all for it.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 08:18 AM   #56
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post

When I started reading this thread I was thinkin "why the hell is everyone *****in' about this all you have to do is buy tungsten weights from now on"
Quick math, used total weight, It would run me hundreds of dollars just to replace sinkers. Not jigs. Jigs another thousand maybe.
I'm willing to buy tungstun and now do, but I'm not willing to trash my lifetime accumulated fortune in current tackle. basshunter, you ever price out tungstun jigs? You maybe surprised how much they really run. I know folks who will go through a half dozen jigs or more during one outting.
This may tell you why I give a **** anyways.

Last edited by joedog; 01-17-12 at 08:26 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.