Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-11, 08:53 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Iaconelli Continues to be a Tool...

Did you see his little rod-breaking hissy fit when he lost at Conroe?

Any rumors that he has matured are sadly mistaken.

Breaking your rod on the side of the boat and throwing the bottom half of the rod, with reel, into the lake show what a stupid crybaby he is.
Old 12-17-11, 09:23 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yea I saw that today. Never give up? Looks like he gave up to me. Ike might be the greatest guy ever in the whole world, but that kind of behavior is childish at best. When he first got popular I thought his antics were just a little animated for me, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was just an excitable person. Respect=0
Old 12-17-11, 09:24 PM   #3
bassboogieman

His sponsors empower that behavior. He doesn't pay for the equipment, why shouldn't he bust it up, with a TV tantrum. Abu will give him more. It's like those fine upstanding citizens on welfare - keep giving them crap that they have no investment in and they don't respect it. They just keep comming back with their hands out saying GIMMIE MORE. OK, that's the sarcasm.

Now the reality: Mike is a pretty intense individual when he's working (fishing) and had to be frustrated with that loss. I'm not certain I agree with the sudden death deal, I think that just pushed him over the edge. I really think it should have been decided by big fish - in which case he'd have still lost, but I don't think he'd have flipped out in that situation. Sending the two of them back out - put a lot of pressure on both of them. All that work over 3 days to be decided by one "first" legal ($150K) fish - no, thinking about it I don't like it. Nor did I like the immediate release after weighing the fish. It took a lot of the suspense from the weigh in. It may have been better for the fish, but not many of the pro's have dead fish at weigh in, and the temps during that tournament were not warm weather, which should have made it easier to keep fish healty in the livewell.

Other than that, I'm not a big fan of Ike the tantrum throwing, break dancing, screaming demon. BUT - he is one that gives his time freely, especially with kids, when away from the cameras. He is a supportor of Autism Awareness. I've met him and he is about as "normal" a guy you could talk to - at least that's how he came across to me. He definitely has a different persona when the cameras are in the boat.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-17-11 at 09:45 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 09:48 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Not a fan of the sudden death either. It's not Golf or Tennis or Basketball where you can just get a drink of water and go back at it.
Old 12-17-11, 10:03 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I was surprised to see sudden death. It seems a bit out of line with the primary goal of the tourney: catch the most weight.

It's a bit like if a football game is tied, and you decide the outcome with a foot race. Running fast is a good skill to have, but not necessarily what wins football games.

Just as catching 14 inch fish isn't what wins tourneys at that level.

They already put a one-hour limit. They could just make it most weight in an hour.
Old 12-17-11, 10:55 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
His sponsors empower that behavior. He doesn't pay for the equipment, why shouldn't he bust it up, with a TV tantrum. Abu will give him more. It's like those fine upstanding citizens on welfare - keep giving them crap that they have no investment in and they don't respect it. They just keep comming back with their hands out saying GIMMIE MORE. OK, that's the sarcasm.
Sponsors won't put up with that kind of behavior very long. He has already lost sponsors in the past for his antics. I have never met the man, but everyone I have heard speak of him that has met him has nothing but great things to say about him as a person. But I agree that he needs to tone it down a bit. When he "goes Ike" after catching a 2lber that he has been screaming was a giant all the way to the boat, only to breakdance on the bow of his boat, it kinda drives me nuts. But to see him flat out act like a complete spoiled brat is not good for the sport at all and that upsets me in a big way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I was surprised to see sudden death. It seems a bit out of line with the primary goal of the tourney: catch the most weight.

It's a bit like if a football game is tied, and you decide the outcome with a foot race. Running fast is a good skill to have, but not necessarily what wins football games.

Just as catching 14 inch fish isn't what wins tourneys at that level.

They already put a one-hour limit. They could just make it most weight in an hour.
I could not agree more.
Old 12-17-11, 11:27 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
but everyone I have heard speak of him that has met him has nothing but great things to say about him as a person.
We have met him a couple of times. He is a great guy. We seen him save a childs life in Hampton Va. at a Bass Masters University, then we saw him at Smith Mountian Lake several years later and he remembered speaking with Adam about the small club he fished in. He's great with kids. He just needs his azz tossed off the boat once in a while.
Old 12-18-11, 12:39 AM   #8
ETXbassassassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Not to ruffle feathers, but I like the enthusiasm he brings to the sport. He apparently doesn't mind expressing himself in an overly-flamboyant way. I like everyone else would agree that he needs to tone it down just a tad.
Old 12-18-11, 12:49 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HluB1vPgH4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If somebody in my boat behaved like that I might have to ask them to calm down a little. Maybe not if it's actually the certain winng fish in a major event. Iguess his co's get used to it but I couldn't sit still for the rod breaking and reel throwing, He makes John MvEnroe look like Bjorn Borg.
Old 12-18-11, 01:15 AM   #10
Bassboss

Anyone got a video? I looked around online a little bit but didn't really find anything... anyone have better luck? lol
Old 12-18-11, 01:36 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wKn2WpvywMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's one when he didn't know the camera was on...*note* he goes by the name Kevie in saltwater!
Old 12-18-11, 02:54 AM   #12
Jrob78

He didn't handle it right but I can't say I blame him. He just lost $150,000 after having an amazing tournament and have it settled in a frantic fish off. It would probably be hard for anyone, especially someone as high strung as him to keep their cool. That sudden death overtime fish off was a terrible way to end the tournament.

As a side note, Dave Mercer is the worst, THE WORST!!!
Old 12-18-11, 06:58 AM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I gotta admit, I like ole Ike. I think my time in a boat would be short lived with some of the more extreme tourette style antics, but I still find some humor in it. Dang it! I wish could watch youtube or video period out here....snap...just broke my mouse and relinquished a salior blushing tune. My rant is off and I feel better.
Old 12-18-11, 09:17 AM   #14
bamabassman

WELL I THINK HE IS A FANTASTIC FISHIERMAN, but.....I ABSOLUTLY HATE HIS ANTICS. I MEAN REALLY.............
Old 12-18-11, 09:52 AM   #15
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lots of good people have quick fire tempers. I myself have put a fist through a wall or broken perfectly good items out of stupidity and anger. The difference here is that a profesional needs to be able to control that behavior or quit fishing at a pro level. Televising behavior like that gives tacit aproval to that behavior. yea, we can say that if our kids see that it's a good opurtunity to teach them why they shouldn't act like that, but when they see a pro do it and nothing is done about it, thats not good. I think he needs some anger managment or some valuim.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 09:53 AM   #16
keithdog

At first I couldn't stand the guy. But over time I've come to see he's actually a decent guy and most of the time he seems normal. But when he looses it, he's an embarrassment to the entire pro bass fishing industry. A newcommer would watch his antics and perhaps think bass fisherman are a bunch of lunitics. Intensity is one thing, insanity is another.
Old 12-18-11, 09:54 AM   #17
bassboogieman

VERY INTERESTING - John, you type MUCH BETTER with the CAPS LOCK ON!

Quote:
a profesional needs to be able to control that behavior or quit fishing at a pro level
Really? I find that OVERLY HARSH, look at other professional athletes who are farther down the line of inappropriate behavior -even criminal - that are still playing their sport and making astronominical amounts of $$$$$. Ike's behavior, which at times borders on childish (but not remotely criminal), pales in comparison. And unklike those individuals, Ike's performance away from the cameras is commendable - as I said he is a supporter of Autism Awareness, spends a lot of time with kids - after tournaments and shows - and that activitey (for me) mitigates some of his less noteworthy antics. I can't say the same for many other sprots athlete/thug/criminals that we hear about.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-18-11 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-18-11, 10:40 AM   #18
kennethdaysale

[QUOTE=bassboogieman;363537]VERY INTERESTING - John, you type MUCH BETTER with the CAPS LOCK ON!

I noticed that too. Maybe it's one of those Mel Tillis things, always st st st st studdered unless singing?
Old 12-18-11, 11:29 AM   #19
lilmule

A little cutup is ok but If I drew him before end of the day one of us be very wet.
National tv ,dq or not id toss him in,then wonder if should lip him or net him.
Yes carry a very large net.Looks like while over the front seat in traveling I caught a 20 ft boat.
Drew a guy from vermont once he had a trout net,cost me 1500 bucks,he got the head and the spook in it,needless to say flipped out as he raised it was 10+(kerr lake virginia,aba nationals)
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 12:30 PM   #20
Bender

Quote:
look at other professional athletes who are farther down the line of inappropriate behavior -even criminal - that are still playing their sport and making astronominical amounts of $$$$$.
That is one of the main reasons I try not to support major professional sports anymore. I feel that the whole thing has gone way too far. Everything from the salaries that these guys make to the fanatical following from fans. Professional fishing is still at a very low level compared to other sports, but it saddens me to see athletes of any type garner the attention that they do from our society as a whole. I feel that once sports reach the professional level they are too much about making money and not about the actual sport. I'm mostly talking about football, basketball, etc. here but if the powers that be had their way fishing would be a bazzilion dollar sport as well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 01:36 PM   #21
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
VERY INTERESTING - John, you type MUCH BETTER with the CAPS LOCK ON!

Really? I find that OVERLY HARSH, look at other professional athletes who are farther down the line of inappropriate behavior -even criminal - that are still playing their sport and making astronominical amounts of $$$$$. Ike's behavior, which at times borders on childish (but not remotely criminal), pales in comparison. And unklike those individuals, Ike's performance away from the cameras is commendable - as I said he is a supporter of Autism Awareness, spends a lot of time with kids - after tournaments and shows - and that activitey (for me) mitigates some of his less noteworthy antics. I can't say the same for many other sprots athlete/thug/criminals that we hear about.
How is that overly harsh. I didn't say he should be banned. I say that if he can't control himself any better than that then he should step aside until he can. I have an autistic daughter. I'm very aware of Ikes support of that and i commend him for it. Whats sad is that i wouldn't want my Daughter to watch him in a televised tournament. As for other sports and the criminals involved. Whos fault is that? Don't suport the teams that hire them and they will re think who they hire. As for his excelent behaviour off screen, how does that mitigate anything? Doing good deeds doesn't give you the right to act like a cry baby without being called out on it.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 02:42 PM   #22
Tavery5

In most of the other professional sports there are at least consequences for inappropriate actions. I agree that most of the fines, penalties and suspensions don't go far enough to make a huge impact on the athlete or team, but it is at least an attempt to get the attention of the offender and let him know that it is not acceptable. Seems like fishing could do a little more to control the worst of his behavior, without eliminating his passion and displays of genuine emotion that some have come to enjoy.
Old 12-18-11, 03:13 PM   #23
bassboogieman

I'll just say I disagree with your (Pro Reel) critical assessment of an individual having a temper tantrum. Happens to the best of us - I see you've also admitted to it. Everyone looses their composure, it's a fact of life. They are as human as the rest of us.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-18-11 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 03:21 PM   #24
kennethdaysale

I submit that it boils down to air time. Except for the tiny handful of people that have seen his behavior in person, the masses only get to see what the TV producers/editors/sponsors? allow(want?) us to see. They could very easily edit out his tantrums or just give him very little on air exposure period. For some reason and for whatever motive they choose to broadcast this behavior. Puzzling
*edit* perhaps the TV execs have seen too many Happy Gilmore reruns??
**edit #2** all the pro sports mentioned above are viewed LIVE (people have zero desire to watch a pre-recorded ball game) so the sanctions are to try and limit future bad behavior. Fishing shows are pre=packaged entertainment cut, edited and polished primarily to sell product and fit in a .5 to 1 hr slot. Maybe its the lowest common denominator idea I mentioned on another thread, or maybe they have got marketing experts crunching numbers that tell them the consumers that watch recorded fishing shows are the same folks that are faithful wrestling fans and UFC wannabes. Who knows?

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 12-18-11 at 03:43 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 03:54 PM   #25
Jrob78

It's Sunday afternoon, turn on any one of the NFL games that are on today. Those idiots act 10 times worse than Ike on every play that results in a tackle, catch, big run, score, blown tackle..etc... I don't think one guy in a fringe sport is having a huge impact on society. I wish he would tone it down too, he makes himself look like a moron but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that big a deal. Blame VS for not editing it out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.