Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-11, 04:04 PM   #26
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I don't think one guy in a fringe sport is having a huge impact on society.
Absolutely correct, and from a purely selfish point of view I would like Bass fishing to be even more on the fringe. Some of the places I fish used to be "mine" now they're cluttered with boats. On the flip side without serious fisherman standing up for conservation issues and such, my fav places might turn into parking lots for Starbucks and Toys r us.
Old 12-18-11, 06:45 PM   #27
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
In most of the other professional sports there are at least consequences for inappropriate actions. I agree that most of the fines, penalties and suspensions don't go far enough to make a huge impact on the athlete or team, but it is at least an attempt to get the attention of the offender and let him know that it is not acceptable. Seems like fishing could do a little more to control the worst of his behavior, without eliminating his passion and displays of genuine emotion that some have come to enjoy.
The one thing that professional fishing has going for it is that the sponsors for any given angler can and will pull the plug on their sponsor deals if they determine a guys actions warrant it. This can do a lot more damage than the fines you see in other sports because it hits the anglers in the wallet in a bigger way. Like you said the fines in other sports don't amount to much to those atheletes because they are making so much money. But the reality in fishing is that these anglers depend on their sponsors to help pay their bills every bit as much as actually drawing checks in tournaments. There are a lot of cash type sponsorships where anglers actually get paid from their sponsors for good tournament results but even the more basic sponsorships can kill anglers career if they are stripped away from him because they pay a lot of the costs involved in fishing these trails like entry fees, fuel, hotels, and other hidden expenses. Without the help from the sponsors these guys can't afford to fish these trails. Word travels so fast in the fishing industry that once a guy gets dropped by sponsors, it won't be long before everybody in the industry will know about it and they can only burn so many bridges before they put themselves out of work. The problem is that there isn't any cut and dry rules for sponsors to drop guys on their prostaffs, so a no name angler may get the boot for a smaller incident where a bigger profile angler may get the benefit of the doubt for bigger infractions because he generates more money for a given company. Either way, bad publicity is not something any of the sponsors want and after Ikes tantrum in the Classic several years ago he lost a lot of sponsors and I read an article where he talked about how hard it was for him to overcome the label that he earned from that 5 minute meltdown, and sponsors were somewhat reluctant to work with him.

Either way I just wish he would tone it down a notch when he gets excited because it makes me uncomfortable to even watch on t.v. lol.
Old 12-18-11, 07:41 PM   #28
bassinbob

I don't like the weigh and release system. If someones scale is even just a little off it could cause an unfair advantage. Although they probably checked both scales after the tie. Everyones fish should be weighed on the same scale for fairness.
I never met Mike but like him. I probably would react in a similar fashion if I lost like that. I guess it's up to the individual to accept the rules if they are to fish. But good lord it's hard to lose that much money on one fish. My choice would be a time limit with total fish for a tie breaker.
Old 12-19-11, 10:24 AM   #29
aikenyounggun

First things first: I'm a senior in high school, so yes, a young gun, i have been fishing since i was born (Thanks dad) and have always watched the pros. Iaconelli pisses off all the older guys in fishing because he's different (and hes good).

Now, on to the actual issues: WHO CAME UP WITH SUDDEN DEATH FISHING?!?!?!? That is plain stupid, both Keith and Mike were over 25 lbs in front of the next guy (3 day tournament, so over 6lbs a day over third place). And now it comes down to who could catch the first legal fish? Really??? Just say who had the biggest overall bag or overall biggest fish, thats more fair.

Now onto Mike: lets try to understand his emotions: he got second place last year in this tournament. On the last day he came from 4 lbs behind to tie Keith with a huge bag. He now has the chance to win 125k and a huge honor after falling short last year and somehow he creates a huge comeback on the last day but TIES!!?!! that has to be terrible, then he learns it comes down to a stupid fourteen inch fish, a fish that wouldnt stay in any of his bags, thats just stupid.

Now he loses this fish (i havent seen the video, just taking on how yall explain it) and throws a tantrum. He loses a 100k fish (i dont know what he got for second place but i would guess 25k or maybe 20) and gets pissed. I get mad when i lose a two pounder when fishing a little tournament, granted i dont break my stuff. THAT IS IKE!!! Most yall dont like it, but he shows his emotions, get over it. He might of stepped over the line a little but he attracts the younger generation because he shows how fun it can be. KVD just sits there and throws another one in the boat (it doesnt even look like he enjoys it to me- how does that translate to some kid who has never fished)

And on top of it, go to an elite series event, after its done most pros go get ready for the next day while Ike is coming to shake hands, take pictures, hold babies, the whole deal. He's a super nice guy, totally down to earth. If yall havent read his book, you might want to, it will help explain how he works a little better. And if you dont like the "Never Give Up" 2003 Classic video, you're crazy. I would act like that too.

Im just asking for you to take a step back and try to see it from his point of view. And we all know "proffessionals" are human, and therefore have emotion, they cant be perfect.
Old 12-19-11, 12:02 PM   #30
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
First things first: I'm a senior in high school, so yes, a young gun, i have been fishing since i was born (Thanks dad) and have always watched the pros. Iaconelli pisses off all the older guys in fishing because he's different (and hes good).

Now, on to the actual issues: WHO CAME UP WITH SUDDEN DEATH FISHING?!?!?!? That is plain stupid, both Keith and Mike were over 25 lbs in front of the next guy (3 day tournament, so over 6lbs a day over third place). And now it comes down to who could catch the first legal fish? Really??? Just say who had the biggest overall bag or overall biggest fish, thats more fair.

Now onto Mike: lets try to understand his emotions: he got second place last year in this tournament. On the last day he came from 4 lbs behind to tie Keith with a huge bag. He now has the chance to win 125k and a huge honor after falling short last year and somehow he creates a huge comeback on the last day but TIES!!?!! that has to be terrible, then he learns it comes down to a stupid fourteen inch fish, a fish that wouldnt stay in any of his bags, thats just stupid.

Now he loses this fish (i havent seen the video, just taking on how yall explain it) and throws a tantrum. He loses a 100k fish (i dont know what he got for second place but i would guess 25k or maybe 20) and gets pissed. I get mad when i lose a two pounder when fishing a little tournament, granted i dont break my stuff. THAT IS IKE!!! Most yall dont like it, but he shows his emotions, get over it. He might of stepped over the line a little but he attracts the younger generation because he shows how fun it can be. KVD just sits there and throws another one in the boat (it doesnt even look like he enjoys it to me- how does that translate to some kid who has never fished)

And on top of it, go to an elite series event, after its done most pros go get ready for the next day while Ike is coming to shake hands, take pictures, hold babies, the whole deal. He's a super nice guy, totally down to earth. If yall havent read his book, you might want to, it will help explain how he works a little better. And if you dont like the "Never Give Up" 2003 Classic video, you're crazy. I would act like that too.

Im just asking for you to take a step back and try to see it from his point of view. And we all know "proffessionals" are human, and therefore have emotion, they cant be perfect.
AYG, I respect your opinion and your well thought out response, however I happen to be on the other side when it comes to viewing Ike's behavior. I think there's a difference between showing emotion and throwing tantrums, especially when it involves needlessly destroying gear. I get that he is a polarizing figure and have no problem with everyone having their own opinion on his actions, and I understand those opinions will be all over the board. All I ask of you, though, is to appreciate others' points of view as well. I don't care at all for the "Never Give Up" 2003 Classic video, but I don't think you need to categorize me as "crazy" just because my opinion differs from yours.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 04:42 PM   #31
aikenyounggun

I don't mean to step on toes, and worded the never give up video sentence poorly. Sorry.

At the end of the day, he's a great fisherman and will get sponsors as long as he wins
Old 12-19-11, 05:49 PM   #32
Deast
BassFishin.Com Member

I love Iaconelli. He is a blast to follow. Golf had Daily he got Mike! Let em be love him and what he does.
Deast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 06:23 PM   #33
WatterBoy

Quote:
I don't mean to step on toes, and worded the never give up video sentence poorly. Sorry.

At the end of the day, he's a great fisherman and will get sponsors as long as he wins
It's all good. I didn't feel like any toes were stepped on, just trying to explain how I see it. I agree he's a great fisherman, just wish he had a little more Barry Sanders in him (act like you've been in the end zone before) and not so much T.O. or Ocho-Cinco, or etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deast View Post
I love Iaconelli. He is a blast to follow. Golf had Daily he got Mike! Let em be love him and what he does.
To each his/her own. As much as I don't care for Ike's style and tantrums, he's 1000 times better than Daly, which is where I'll stop with my thoughts about JD's actions on a golf course.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 07:43 PM   #34
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm 25 & I know next to nothing about Iaconelli, but, I do enjoy watching videos of him on youtube. It's one thing to act wild & yell etc. but, I wish he didn't do it with the fish in his hand. Break rods & gear all you want, but, don't flail the fish around like a bag of sh!t.
musikman43155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 07:48 PM   #35
kennethdaysale

[QUOTE=musikman43155;363735] Break rods & gear all you want, but, don't flail the fish around like a bag of sh!t.[/QUOTE]
Amen......Priceless...if it wasn't for the bass where would he be? I try to treat those rascals like fine china.
Old 12-21-11, 07:57 PM   #36
joedog

Thumbs up

Ok, saw the repeat today.
I'm not really a fan of Ike's but he dosn't take away from my joy of Tournaments ethier.
The guy has energy. He's very knowledgeable and very fan oriented.
Last but not least.. He's got extreme emotion, especially when he's competing.
Now, if you were marketing a new pass time or activity, dosn't the gentleman's description above sound like a person you would want on your team?
Anyway, here's the setup for those who haven't or can't watch the taping.
Ike clearly out fished everyone on the final day. He threw back like a 5 or 7 pounder to replace his one allowed keeper. Released at least 10 good size bass while almost every other angler struggled final day. The sudden death system in the event of a tie has been around since the start of tournament fishing, I believe.
All 3 of the big tourney divisions (don't know what thier really refered to as) have the same rule for ties and all were represented at this competion. This is a tourney for the cream of the crop and everyone wants to win because of the payout but also it's similar to an allstar game in other sports, you want the winner to be at least from your division. (That's what I'm told anyway).
On the interviews on the way back to the water niether contestant seemed in the least bit annoyed about the fish off.
Now Ike fished right outside the harbor while the other guy went further away. Now Ike fished one area of the lake all 3 days but not for this. Remember, first fish wins. The other angler went to his afternoon hot spot a ways away.
Ike catches a bass like 20 minutes in to sudden death, short. Catches two more shorts and the other angler never had a bite. Ok forgot to mention that sudden death was on a one hour time frame.
Times running out Ike moves, competiter moves too. Ike gets snagged on fishing line numerous times during the time at the new site. (The other angler snagged discarded line in water too. This big push from DNR to eliminate fish stress may be better spent on other priorities) Now with like 10 minutes left and while Mike was trying to remove yet another snag they get a call from officials that the other guy caught a 15 incher, I believe his one and only fish during sudden death. Ike goes nuts on the equipment.
Durng exit interview the winner had nothing to say except about his good fortune. Mike on the other hand said the winner deserved to win and how he knows that the guy fished hard and praised his efforts. Never did Mike or anyone complain about the rules or any complaints about the fairness of sudden death.
I've seen baseball players throw bats at pitchers, football players kick someone in the privates while down, basketball players going into the crowd fighting with fans, boxers bite off human parts, soccer players intentionally stepping on and breaking a competiters ankle and hockey....well it's HOCKEY. Negative display of emotion has not hurt these sports.
Any time you have money and competition between competiters there is going to be emotion and alot of times unflaturing and maybe even negative displays of said emotions.
I don't know of a single fellow angler that has anything but positives to say about Mike. I don't know of a single fishing fan after meeting Mike have anything but posative comments. Like or dislike...IKE'S good for the sport!

Last edited by joedog; 12-21-11 at 08:06 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 08:32 PM   #37
Tavery5

IMHO, Ike is good for fishing in the same way that Rodman was good for basketball.
Old 12-21-11, 10:07 PM   #38
kennethdaysale

@joedog......I would hope that Professional Fishing, at least among those top tier guys, would have more of a gentlemans sport type of feeling. Not exactly like Sunday at the Masters, but at least a couple of notches above Jersey Shore or a local cage rastlin match. Like I said previously though, those tantrums don't make it to national TV without a reason.....I'm assuming somebody in charge of something must believe it's good for something.
Old 12-21-11, 10:26 PM   #39
aikenyounggun

Fishing has unwritten rules on behavior on the water when determining who is gonna fish a certain spot or how you can share an area. This leads to some tense moments (Aaron martens, who I believe is a huge whiner, accused Byron velvick of shooting lasers at fish on lake falcon, the tournament that set the record). I believe fishing will always be respectful, maybe with a flare for the dramatic, but will never stoop to the NFL or other professional leagues level of behavior.
This flare for the dramatic, will rub people different ways, simple as that. Breaking equipment crossed the line most likely, but emotion I dont think does. But this whole thread shows different opinions.
Old 12-21-11, 10:40 PM   #40
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Fishing has unwritten rules on behavior on the water when determining who is gonna fish a certain spot or how you can share an area. This leads to some tense moments (Aaron martens, who I believe is a huge whiner, accused Byron velvick of shooting lasers at fish on lake falcon, the tournament that set the record). I believe fishing will always be respectful, maybe with a flare for the dramatic, but will never stoop to the NFL or other professional leagues level of behavior.
This flare for the dramatic, will rub people different ways, simple as that. Breaking equipment crossed the line most likely, but emotion I dont think does. But this whole thread shows different opinions.
Huh? Reckon how in the world he figured that was gonna help? I have aimed one of those little red laser pointers at the water and laughed as bluegill hit it, but in a tourn.
Old 12-22-11, 01:30 AM   #41
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

lol.. I logged on the forum to ask if anyone else saw this...low and behold there was already a thread.

Looked like a stx on a fenwick stick he threw in the lake ,that dude has some serious issues...like mentioned above the dennis rodman of the pro bass anglers.

Last edited by johnD; 12-22-11 at 11:54 AM.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 07:02 PM   #42
kennethdaysale

I have decided that Ugly Stick should approach Ike with an offer he can't refuse to fish only their rods. I like their commercials where the wives put em in the disposal etc, but having Mike smash them against the side of the boat over and over and then get that amazed befuddled look on his face like the kid trying to blow out the trick bday candles that won't go out would be priceless.
Old 12-22-11, 10:12 PM   #43
rrw4258

Well, I finally saw Ike breaking the rod when the show re-aired the other day, and let me say it is by far the BEST Ike moment yet. Myself, I love that he shows emotion on the water, it makes it a little more intersting than watching guys set the hook, reel them in, and put them in the livewell.

Ryan
Old 12-22-11, 10:45 PM   #44
lilmule

I dont watch pro football games either as dont want to see two grown men who make 6 and 7 figure salaries patting each other on the posterior.
And it not a loss of composure for ike its his act,to witch their is some following,to me just annoying.Take a kid out he will act up less and be more genuine,and you will feel better for it.If I took Ike out only one of us be coming back in the boat.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 01:58 AM   #45
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
IMHO, Ike is good for fishing in the same way that Rodman was good for basketball.
Very well put.
Old 12-27-11, 11:48 PM   #46
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

Is there a link where I can see this?
musikman43155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 12:09 AM   #47
joedog

It shows on the VS channel, soon to be NBC Sport Channel.
Don't know of any UTube stuff, as of yet. Guess is, there will be. Theres others.
Old 12-28-11, 06:40 PM   #48
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't see the big deal in breaking your own equipment. I mean it's your equipment. He might not have payed for it with cash but he did pay for it in a sense by working on the water. I know he does it quite a bit but I watched that tournament and I don't think I blame him much. Sudden death seemed so ridiculous.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 07:21 AM   #49
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Every single time I'm watching a tx on the tube and Ike comes on the first thing I do is hit the "skip" button on the DVR. I absolutely cannot stand watching his screaming about a "GIANT" that weighs a couple of pounds nor any of his "hissy fits". I'm sure he's an outstanding fisherman...great with the public/kids...and he may be the nicest guy you could meet. That said, I wouldn't want to share a boat with him at all unless he toned it down a lot.
Old 01-05-12, 07:48 PM   #50
stratosjoe
BassFishin.Com Member

ike to me is like Dennis Rodman was its a way for him to get his 5 minutes of fame. Shame he's a terrific fisherman I can't get past the flag bashing against the side of his boat. I'm just a old vietnam redneck sorry if he was my son when he got back from THAT tourney i woulda beat his azz even if I had to get help..
stratosjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.