Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-12, 08:35 AM   #1
NewfoundLakerMal
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Fishing line ID?

I have 8 rods that have various types of line attached from last season. I have no clue as to which are Mono or Fluorocarbon. The only one I can readily identify is the braid. The whole problem is I have no idea what the line weight is and most of the old spools have been tossed. Short of re-spooling all these rods can anyone give me a clue?
NewfoundLakerMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 09:53 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a tough one..by the time you set up some kind of stretch test against known lines (even then results would be unclear) you could have already respooled your reels. Plus if it was me I wouldn't fish with last years line anyway. This time either make notes or write info on a small piece of masking tape and place on reel seat.
Old 01-06-12, 05:25 PM   #3
bassinbob

NewfLM I have the same problem. I thought about it and have decided to make a little fold up card for my wallet. That way I'll always have a reference right at my backside.
Old 01-06-12, 06:42 PM   #4
Jrob78

I know a lot of guys use those label makers to actual label what lines are on their reels. It's going to be really hard to tell. Could you maybe cut off a section of line and see how quickly it sinks in the sink? By comparing your lines against known lines, you might could come up with some idea of what you have. I don't know, just a thought.
Old 01-06-12, 07:19 PM   #5
CHRGD
BassFishin.Com Member

I know it won't do you much good for your current problem, but I use a sharpie marker and write on the inside of my spinning reel spools, 8M for 8lb mono, 8F for 8 floro, and so on. If you need to change it, just take some rubbing alcohol, and remark with new specs. Same thing with the baitcasters, I mark it on the right side of the spool and reinstall the spool. Doing it on the insides of the spools seems to keep the specs out of the elements better, and stays on longer.
CHRGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 07:29 PM   #6
Zuazoiga
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Zuazoiga
Default wowwowo

thank you very much
Zuazoiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 09:18 AM   #7
NewfoundLakerMal
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Thanks for the tips. I think I will re-spool and make a label for each rod as suggested. Most of the reels are probably due for a change anyway and the new one I got at Xmas hasn't been spooled yet anyhow.
NewfoundLakerMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 09:50 AM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use the click type lable maker to make small labels for all my reels. They are durable enough to stay stuck tight but can still be peeled off if I use a different line. I abreviate the line type to M for mono F for flourocarbon. Then I put an indicator of the brand in case I am trying different brands and then the number of test. On baitcasters, I stick the lable to the underside of the gear case on the sidecover. That way I can see at a quick glance what is what. On spinning gear, i stick it on the side of the spool so I can change spools easily but still see what's what at a quick glance.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.