Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-12, 07:11 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default lining with braid

so i know i need a good 20 yards of mono backing, then tie on braid, what do yall budjet bassmen do, can you straight tie braid to the jig, or use a mono leader, i know fluro is expensive and i only 8 lb handy. or if i aint hallin em out heck can i use mono . just some branches, not weeds or pads.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 07:14 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if i am using braid on a reel, i spool up HALF of the spool with mono, THEN fill in the rest with braid. to me having a "leader" defeats the purpose of using braided line altogether. jsut my opion.
Old 01-07-12, 07:16 PM   #3
wallywallace

hey bama, thats was i truely thought, seeing the tv shows they all seem to say flutr leader, also how long can i keep braid without changing it, with my spending lately, i am almost taped out and wanted to get braid that i could put on know and use till about june.
Old 01-07-12, 07:20 PM   #4
bamabassman

i have used 1 spool of braid for over 4 years. reversed it every year. i jsut this winter took it all off. but honestly i htink it was still good for a couple of years. keep it conditioned with KVD line conditioner and i think it's good for at least 5 years, depending on how badly it is frayed. take off the frayed end and keep on chunking. agian, different areas dipicts wear now. where i fihs is mostly grass and such. rocks, trees and so forth can wear braided line quicker i believe. wait and hear form some other folks and see waht they say before oyu take my word for it.
Old 01-07-12, 07:55 PM   #5
WTL

Bama, its true that you can use braid on G-ville for years, but it does depend on where you are fishing. Down here on the coosa shoals, braid lasts more like 4 weeks cause of all the rocks. I still use it, but its more expensive.

Personally, I think how much braid you spool on depends a little on the line capacity of the reel. If we are talking about a big reel, use a mono backing.. If we are talking about a little reel, use about 15 feet of mono and the rest braid. Dont cut braid short than 150 yards in my opinion. If, over the course of a year you are starting to not have your reel spool filled out, you can always despool, add more mon backing to compensate, and reverse the line as Bama suggested.
Old 01-07-12, 08:05 PM   #6
wallywallace

gonna put it on the curado E i got, i know on my cat rods, i barely use it, but i put about 20 yards on mono.
Old 01-07-12, 08:19 PM   #7
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have only just started using a backer with braid. I haven't had much trouble filling the reel completely with braid, I tie it through the holes in the spool so it doesn't slip. As long as you don't have a lot of break offs, a full spool of braid will last a long time. I do see the benefit of using a backer for $$$ reasons though.

Personally, the longer the braid has been used, the better I like it. To me, it's better when it's worn in and the coating is gone. As long as it doesn't get frayed, I keep using it. Like WTL said, despool it and add more backer as needed.

As far as using fluoro leaders, I don't do it. I haven't noticed any less fish from tying directly to braid. It would be really hard to quantify something like that though. I also don't fish really clear water very often. I can see the benefit of using a fluoro leader, I just don't do it.
Old 01-07-12, 08:46 PM   #8
WTL

One thing that people never seem to talk about with leaders is, you must have them with zara spooks, pop rs, really any trebled topwater cause you will otherwise be tangled on your front hook almost every cast.
Old 01-07-12, 09:15 PM   #9
Marty

I use an amount of backing such that there's room left for 50-60 yards of braid. I never change it until retying has used up too much line.

Using a leader seems to be a controversial topic, as many say a leader is a must and many others tie directly. I personally don't use leaders.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 09:38 PM   #10
wallywallace

thanks guys, i will take your word and tie directly, thank you
Old 01-08-12, 10:37 AM   #11
joedog

Now that you made a choice, I'll try and confuse you.
Talking to a group of tourny guys and local guides at breakfast one day.
Numerous of the tourney folk said they use leaders as much for easier break offs as stealth. If you use heavier (stronger) braid and snag a deep limb or rock or something, your going to end up cutting alot of braid off, (from tip of pole to snagged lure) and now that braid is in the water till.....well for ever.
Now say your jigging a couple of deep trees that the location is well known.
Think how many snagged jigs are in that tree and for those who didn't have leaders another 20 ft. of braid. Think of that effect over time. This is how they presented it to me. Now the guides jumped in and said, almost in unison, that with clients alot use some sort braid and all tie leaders to minimize line expenditure. Lot easier to break off 20 even thirty pound floro than fifty pound braid.

Confused yet?

I do all the above. Smaller diameter braids I use backing enough so all I need is 125 yd. of braid to fill spool.
Larger diameter braids, unless it's an older reel or spinning gear (no holes or slots in spool) that you must use backing to avoid line slipage, no backing.
I tie direct when shallow water fishing and a leader for deeper water.
I tie direct when frogging.
I also use invisi-braid for braid line.
Oh and leave braid on year to year until I notice line fray then I will reverse spool it.
Pulled out a rod that sat with braid on for eight years, no use what ever. Frogged and heavy cover pitched it, zero chalenge.

Good fishing wally!

Last edited by joedog; 01-08-12 at 10:46 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 11:36 AM   #12
wallywallace

joe, no confusion i get it, the place i scouted have visible limbs, but nothing bad, that being i have no clue whats under that.
Old 01-08-12, 11:39 AM   #13
lilmule

I use straight braid other than lining spool with mono so no slip,dont have a problem with having to cut line off,either pull the tree in or straighten a hook out.Only rig that I use mono on in combo is a crig as sinker can get hung up or hook in a brush pile,want to break the mono off and just retiie a leader,thus not the whole rig and I use about 12 lb,from the swivel back its all there.I feel every bump,rock,muscle shell had to retie twice last T I used it in ,other guy was using tungsten sinkers and had to retie like 6 times all of it .

Last edited by lilmule; 01-08-12 at 11:44 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.