Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-12, 08:10 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Dual bladed buzzbaits

I'm going to pick up a Strike King Doubletake buzzbait and give it a try. The model with two arms and a blade at the end of each. I was wondering how many buzzbait guys in here have used this style buzzer. Buzzbait fishing for me took off in a big way last year and now I'm hooked. How that happened after 3 decades of never having any luck on them I don't know other than I gave it a fair shake last year. Anyways, from what I've read and seen on videos, the two armed double bladed buzzbaits are supposed to ride the surface slower than single and cause more commotion. Have you found this to be the case, and how would you compare it to a single bladed buzzer both in fuction and fish attraction?
Old 01-14-12, 08:27 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think i created a monster. i have used both i still like the single blades better. i have better luck with them. they do go slower. if i where going to throw any i would throw the chart colors as they give a bigger profile like a frog. or turtle.
Old 01-14-12, 09:12 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

I've got a black one I really have confidence in for night fishing, not so much in the daytime. I actually like the torque steer of a single blade-lot's of times I'll have one that runs left and one right tied on and on deck. I have learned over the years how to get them to bump stuff with fun results.
(speaking of night fishing...my absolute highest confidence and go to plug is a Musky Jitterbug) there's something about being able to STOP that rascal dead in its tracks that drives these big southern bass nuts!
Old 01-14-12, 09:56 PM   #4
lilmule

You guys got it all wrong not side by side,tandem.Works on or in or under.

I callem double barrel bass busters
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 10:26 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I have thrown them a lot in the past and it's been hit or miss for me. I got a lot more bites with single blade buzzbaits but the bites I got on the double bladed models were big fish.
Old 01-15-12, 01:16 AM   #6
keithdog

Yes Don, you did and I blame you completely! hahaha
Ken, night time is something I had thought about. That slower and bigger profile worked over the tops of weedbeds could be deadly. I like the big Jitterbugs too at night!
And Kory, my thoughts exactly. I figured the bites might be fewer but bigger bass.
Old 01-15-12, 08:46 AM   #7
rrw4258

I have caught a few fish on a double armed buzzbait, but it seems like I catch more on a single arm. The fish I caught on the double arm bait were not any bigger than the normal one's I catch on a single arm. I guess just like almost everything else in fishing, it is personal preference and a confidence thing.

Ryan
Old 01-15-12, 09:05 AM   #8
lilmule

Hmmm not double armed,double bladed ,single arm double bladed is my preference.
One thing noone else is tossing one,and can be made quite colorfull and still work.
Old 01-15-12, 10:54 AM   #9
bassinbob

I've had the same results as Ryan. I can catch them all day on a single buzz and they won't touch the double.
Old 01-15-12, 12:13 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

I will add also, the double armed buzzbaits seem to be too much disturbance in clear and calm conditions. What success I have had with them was when it was dark or windy or both. I got broke off one night by the biggest bass I have ever had hit a buzzbait on one of the double armed buzzbaits. I through over a log that I didn't realize was there and the minute she exploded on it and the fight started I knew I was in trouble.
Old 01-15-12, 01:01 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Hmmm not double armed,double bladed ,single arm double bladed is my preference.
One thing noone else is tossing one,and can be made quite colorfull and still work.
Do you make these mule? Those look really interresting.
Old 01-15-12, 01:07 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I will add also, the double armed buzzbaits seem to be too much disturbance in clear and calm conditions. What success I have had with them was when it was dark or windy or both. I got broke off one night by the biggest bass I have ever had hit a buzzbait on one of the double armed buzzbaits. I through over a log that I didn't realize was there and the minute she exploded on it and the fight started I knew I was in trouble.
Yeah, I hear ya on the water disturbance thing. I was thinking when it's lowlight and a good chop on the water is when this kind of buzzer would shine.
I also was thinking a double arm buzzer would offer more wind resistance when casting and make for shorter casts. One other question I do have. Does the double arm version tend to run a straighter couse on the retrieve than single arm versions. Most all my buzzers run either left or right straight from the package.
Old 01-15-12, 01:10 PM   #13
nobass

all you have to do to correct that is tweak the arm, like a crank bait eye.
Old 01-15-12, 02:59 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Yeah, I hear ya on the water disturbance thing. I was thinking when it's lowlight and a good chop on the water is when this kind of buzzer would shine.
I also was thinking a double arm buzzer would offer more wind resistance when casting and make for shorter casts. One other question I do have. Does the double arm version tend to run a straighter couse on the retrieve than single arm versions. Most all my buzzers run either left or right straight from the package.
I can't say whether they all run straighter or not but the ones I have used all ran really straight. I too have problems with some of my single blade buzzbaits running to the left or right.
Old 01-15-12, 03:19 PM   #15
lilmule

Default Keithdog

Yes,but in larger sizes have a fella make them for me.

That the original I made about 20 years ago,catches fish on top ,waked or a breadnbutter retrieve under the water.

Proof it works,have quite a few more so not an accident

Last edited by lilmule; 01-15-12 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 09:42 PM   #16
keithdog

Those are pretty darn cool mule. The wire looks good and strong from what I can tell in the photos.
Old 01-15-12, 11:04 PM   #17
Jrob78

Those are good looking baits lilmule.
Old 01-16-12, 09:34 AM   #18
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I have one of the twin-blade buzzers and haven't caught anything on it yet. I still prefer the single-spin.
Old 01-16-12, 09:57 AM   #19
lilmule

The 3/8 are made out of normal spinnerbaits,just changed the hardware,and the bends.
One day at Grayson lake,Ky I tossed a buzzbait in and had slight professional overcast,while picking it out a largemouth inhaled it on the fall,so spent the rest of the day,doing guess what.Later made a bait just for that the top pic and bottom one as well.
Stan sloan drop angle,two delta blades turning opposite directions cancell each other with a willow trailing.Even viewed one sees only outer edges of the delta blades where the sun catches them whats in the middle almost disappears.It can be used on top but its at its best as a wake bait or under the water with blade flash just in sight.Have caught fish 12 ft deep with them but at its best with bread n butter retrieve.
Best in fall with spring second,sort of a pack bait for schoolers.
Larger ones are made with .050 wire can boat flip a 4 lber and not have it all bent up easy to place back if it does get banged a bit.And have those made for me,to my specifications as dont have the eq.
Ive given some away,had companies interested bottom line most anglers have a mind set use on top and wont throw one when even given to them as my friend says it just aint right.I do notice he carries the one I gave him.
Companies take one look at it and say yeah can happen and tend to copy some of its features yet not all,as they want to sell baits not something one wont be caught dead using in the manner for which it was made.
Ive gotten some weird looks from flw and aba anglers while using it,and an occasional comment is that a buzzbait?I use it in as cool a water as 47f and under seldom on.
20 years ago called it the frankenbuzz as a joke,my friend here nicknamed it the double barrell bass buster.Its easy to throw the blades ceate lift,each counter rotating blade cacells the other out,about like have a 3 /8 spinnerbait one can slow roll in 4 ft of water.I use a 4/8/1 reel,or 5/1 faster reels dont work as well with it.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-16-12 at 10:10 AM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.