Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-12, 08:44 PM   #1
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New boat help

Hey guys... the time is getting close to getting my first boat (really close ) I am looking for something 5,000 and below. What would be a good starting boat in your guy's opinion? I also would like to know your imput on older motors. I imagine it it will be a 90-95 Vmax Mercury etc. Which ones are the less problemsom? Also where would be a good place to look? I have looked almost all over the internet and I wouldnt mind the travel. Any input would be much appriciated! Ive been around boats all my life, but this would be my first outboard, well hell fishing boat in general. Also, if you know of anyone selling feel free to tell me! Cant wait to see what you guys come up with!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 08:56 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.boattrader.com/
Hey IU the link above is a good place to get an idea of what's out there in your $ range. Craigslist is crawling with boats. There is a whole forum here devoted to boats and questions, but I'm sure you'll get some replies anyway. I know these guys will want to ask you questions like..where you fish? What for? etc..........Good Luck.............Boats depreciate like a rock so you should be able to get a fairly decent boat for 5K.....and remember when you see a price of say..8k .....Seller always has 3 prices...I'm asking 8K....I'd like to get 6.5K....I'll take 5K
Old 01-17-12, 09:01 PM   #3
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Damn it... thought this was the right one.. wish I could post it in the right forum! Anyway, for those who will ask it will be all bass. And generally Indiana down to Alabama. Thanks for the good luck... Just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. Reason I asked about motors are.. well.. That'll be the thing to mess up the most. You know how the early 2000 powerstrokes have problems and the older to newer ones dont? Sorta what I am getting at by the motor. Just want to make sure I dont get a Mercury/Yamaha/Johnson in the bad years. Again, thanks for the tip!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 09:11 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

re: motors I've always been a fan of "black" motors....read this excerpt from a motor forum If mechanically within specs, OMC crossflow V4's and 3 cylinder "loopers" are extremely long-lived engines that are also very reliable as long as the rubber parts are replaced (fuel lines, carb gaskets, etc.). In my opinion their value in terms of being able to reliably push your craft around for years of good times on the water far exceed their actual market value.
Old 01-17-12, 10:24 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i know of an OUTSTANDING rig for sale in north carolina. fantastic condition. send me a pm and i'll get you the number if you are willing to drive that far.
Old 01-17-12, 10:32 PM   #6
lilmule

5k isnt a lot of $ for a boat,one generally gets what one pays for
Im in same boat cheapies for the most part so be prepared to sort of build it
older motors are ok I have a 1977 140 out in the barn on my 1990 allison runs like a top
what stops them or ends thir useage is generally electrical,stators etc costing 450 and hard to find,easier to toss and buy another when much goes as 1,000 motors
So best bet would be to pick a boat and motor combo that that money can buy a decent boat in.newer motors that had problems generally had them because of the owner like ficht it requires expensive oil and buying cheap walley world oil isnt a fix,it spells disaster
You didnt state what type of boat size etc so best bang for the buck would be a simple tracker alum boat with say a merc 50=75 hp
if going larger fiberglass they cost about50- 60 k in the begining,one can build a pkg boat here motor there if knowledgeable and handy with tools and lucky as all get out to boot.Smaller 15-17 ft boats can be had for that type of money just not the market with everyone wanting 20+,and cost less new to begin with.Avoid repaired transoms,avoid if they wont start it or get it on plane when its tested,do turn on bilge pump if you get water anything (anything) avoid.
Take someone with you that knows something about boats that will also wipe the wonderlust out of your eyes if its not worthy.Turn on everything if something doesnt work deduct accordingly,if more than three things dont work regardless of what walk away.
Above all dont send money to anyone on craigs list,do ask for paper work then hand over the cash,or you will hear I have to send off to the dnr etc for it be a week and you will never see them or your money again.People that are legit dont mind you having their name and ph number along with their address.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-17-12 at 10:45 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.