Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-10, 10:34 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking Possible inshore/bass baitcasting reels?

Hey guys, as some of you know from the chat, I have made a commitment to saving enough money to buy a really nice combo no super high end rod and reels. But I'm think an Ardent c400 and a Falcon Low Rider. Or a Daiwa HSTA and a Veritas (or verdict if get the dough ) when it comes out. Or maybe the Quantum Reax and Veritas, only cause it would be a sweet looking combo! I've heard the new Q's don't cast lighter stuff, or handle light lines well though.. what do y'all say?

But recently I did some in shore flats wadding with my older brother and dad. We didn't catch anything (came close, my old man almost caught a red, and I a snook), but still had a blast! I think we're gonna be doing more inshore fishing in the near future.

So with this next combo, I'd like to capable of transitioning to both salt and fresh water. I know the HSTA is capable so salt water use, but I don't know about the Ardent c400. Neither of them have CRB bearing but just stainless. I wanna get a bait caster that has the CRB bearings if I can. Hope fully Icast 2010 will have a new curado at the original price point (150), or something of equal badassary.

So if anyone knows of any (not necessarily used any, but that's good too!) bass baitcaster that has the CRBB's than lemme know! I don't wanna get a salt water designated reel because I don't know how the castableity of them will be with lighter stuff you would typically throw with bass reels like 1/4oz cranks and 4, and 5" senkos.

Oh yeah, under 170 please.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-17-10 at 11:21 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 10:52 AM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I would go with a Daiwa Coastal Inshore. I wouldn't worry about casting issues with it. They throw light lures for inshore fish, so I don't think you'd have any problems casting cranks or senkos.

BB
Old 06-17-10, 10:54 AM   #3
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All of my reels are double duty. I regularly use Citicas and Curados, as well as a couple spinners, in saltwater. Some of my reels have ceramic ABEC 5's in them, and others still have the original bearings.

As long as you rinse your reels after saltwater exposure, any model should work just fine. If you're unsure about the bearings in a particular reel, you can always replace them with better ones later.

I haven't tried any of the saltwater-specific baitcaster, but the Daiwa and Abu Garcia models look pretty good.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 10:58 AM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have the Revo Inshore and am very happy with it. I have used it on everything from Senko's to 1 oz jig head swim baits. I have not had any issues with it at all.
Old 06-17-10, 11:07 AM   #5
Bassboss

Sweet guys!! Thanks a lot for the fast replies! And Bryan, it's good to know that your non-salt water reels hold up good in salt water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I would go with a Daiwa Coastal Inshore. I wouldn't worry about casting issues with it. They throw light lures for inshore fish, so I don't think you'd have any problems casting cranks or senkos.

BB
I also don't like the brakes on them, I DON'T want ant reels with configural brakes that has the side plate come all the way off. If I drop it when I'm wadding it 5' feet of water out going tide, with strongish current, it's not coming back! The kind of the Curado and citica are fine cause they stay on, and don't come all the way off.
Old 06-17-10, 11:59 AM   #6
Jrob78

Of those you listed I would be inclined to go with the HSTA. That reel is still on my list of reels to get, I think if you make sure and take good care of it it will serve double duty just fine.

I also agree with you on the sideplates, I don't mind centrifugal brakes but I like hinged sideplates. That's the main reason I don't own any Revos. I don't even adjust my brakes often but I still don't like it.

I've never done any inshore fishing but aren't rods with slower actions generally used?

Last edited by Jrob78; 06-17-10 at 12:18 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 12:43 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Neither of them have CRB bearing but just stainless. I wanna get a bait caster that has the CRB bearings if I can.

Sammy, let me help you out here.

"HPCR" or "high performance corrosion resistant" is just a term Abu Garcia uses to make its stainless steel bearings sound better (they've trademarked it, so technically, only they can use it). Daiwa had to make their own term of course, "Super Corosion Resistant". The point is, they're all stainless steel. Stainless steel is what gives the corrosion resistance. Anything else is just marketing, or a performance issue rather than a corrosion issue.

Hope that gives you a few more options.
Old 06-17-10, 01:36 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I also don't like the brakes on them, I DON'T want ant reels with configural brakes that has the side plate come all the way off. If I drop it when I'm wadding it 5' feet of water out going tide, with strongish current, it's not coming back! The kind of the Curado and citica are fine cause they stay on, and don't come all the way off.
I haven't changed the brakes on my Revo since early last spring. I cast from 1/4oz cranks up to 5/8oz ones. I just adjust spool tension to compensate for changes in weight.

BB
Old 06-18-10, 09:43 AM   #9
Bassboss

Thanks guys! And yeah Joe the HSTA is a sick reel! I think it'll be the one I get unless they come out with something better in iCast. Hopefully a new Curado, or something new to replace the HSTA of higher quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Sammy, let me help you out here.

"HPCR" or "high performance corrosion resistant" is just a term Abu Garcia uses to make its stainless steel bearings sound better (they've trademarked it, so technically, only they can use it). Daiwa had to make their own term of course, "Super Corosion Resistant". The point is, they're all stainless steel. Stainless steel is what gives the corrosion resistance. Anything else is just marketing, or a performance issue rather than a corrosion issue.

Hope that gives you a few more options.
Thanks nofear! Makes a lot of sense!
Old 06-18-10, 11:04 AM   #10
Backwater Charlie

Curado 200E7! It'd be a great inshore/freshwater reel. The HSTA reel would be fine too..

What I say is buy the best reel from Daiwa, Abu Garcia, or Shimano that you can afford. Stay away from Ardent's.
Old 06-18-10, 01:06 PM   #11
geezer1

Bassboss...Coupled with a Falcon rod, I doubt you could go wrong using a Citica or Curado for double duty. They clean up easily after saltwater use & parts are easy to get. As stated earlier, bearings can be upgraded to your liking (check out the Boca Bearings site). Keep in mind though, that ceramic bearings are not corrosion proof, as some advertisers would lead you to believe. The only parts ceramic are the balls, everything else is steel. I've seen several corroded solid.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 01:00 PM   #12
Bassboss

Them dogs at tackle tour are always complicating things! lol

They're saying that a reel with more bearing is not gonna be as good as one with fewer, more parts to get corrosion. So now I'm really thinking about Q's. The reax, and catalyst Salt water.

Anyone have experience with either of these reels?
Old 06-19-10, 01:48 PM   #13
BigBassin144

As long as you take care of it - rinse with freshwater after each use, and clean it more often (maybe 3 times a year instead of once) you should be fine. I'd rather use a reel I like than go with something else because of a reason like that.

Why don't you use you JM Limited reel as your saltwater reel and save your good one when you get it for freshwater?

BB
Old 06-19-10, 04:22 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
As long as you take care of it - rinse with freshwater after each use, and clean it more often (maybe 3 times a year instead of once) you should be fine. I'd rather use a reel I like than go with something else because of a reason like that.

Why don't you use you JM Limited reel as your saltwater reel and save your good one when you get it for freshwater?

BB
Haha! Funny you mention that! I was thinking about the same thing just a little while ago! I'm gonna send sometime this month or so, along with my XLM back to cabelas to be replaced since the tip broke again! I'll be getting a 7' MH fast to replace it (cabelas got the bill covered ) My dad's doing the same thing this his XML cause it broke as well. So I guess I'll be using my "new old combo" for fresh and salt until my new one.

Anyways, I think I'll do just that Anthony!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-19-10 at 06:29 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 09:51 PM   #15
walkeraviator

So I will be headed to TX on Tuesday and have been informed we are goin inshore fishing. I havent asked yet about gear, but if i wanted to take my freshwater stuff and use it for the week then clean it good when iget back, would that work ok??? What about rod setup and line choice? Probably a redfish trip, which seems very similar to bass fishin.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 01:12 AM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
So I will be headed to TX on Tuesday and have been informed we are goin inshore fishing. I havent asked yet about gear, but if i wanted to take my freshwater stuff and use it for the week then clean it good when iget back, would that work ok??? What about rod setup and line choice? Probably a redfish trip, which seems very similar to bass fishin.
Don't wait till you get home to clean it off. Rinse thoroughly with clean, fresh water after every trip.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.