Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-11, 07:28 PM   #1
hookinanbookin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What do the Pros carry for tackle

I have been thinking a lot about what pros like Kevin Vandam, Mike Iaconelli, Tommy Biffle, Denny Brauer and so on carry for tackle. What do they carry in there boats for tackle I know what we see on the TV shows and I know they have sponsor so they have to push there baits, but what do there really have with them. Denny like jigs but does he have crank baits also, KVD likes to burn cranks but does he carry drop shot worms and so on. So what do the pros carry and if the carry everything do they carry every color also.
hookinanbookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 07:36 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like to me they carry a little bit of everything. Probably the hot bait on the particular lake they are fishing. Whatever works for them prefishing. And whatever Kevin is catching them on. A lot of baits for whatever the time of the season it is. Their favorites and strengths. I would say prefishing dominates their choice of baits.
Old 04-03-11, 07:45 PM   #3
hookinanbookin
BassFishin.Com Member

So for the prefish they take everything? how do they find out wahts hot on a lake?
hookinanbookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:06 PM   #4
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

just like the rest of us they put the puzzle together and go from there.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:45 PM   #5
Lvitch

They carry a small tackle store in the boat, even more in the tow vehicle. Usually when pre fishing they will have 12-20 rods rigged with what ever is hot for the area. And usually another 10-20 rods ready for "back up" . They also usually have custom everything from lures to paint jobs to you name it. And funny enough most end up throwing the same lures a lot, and using things we all can get a hold of, just paying attention to the details that matter. A pro got stuff stolen here in FL, he said he had at least 25 rods taken and about 20 plano boxes with of lures. A lot of the lures were prised old lures they don't make any more, and lots of custom stuff. The other pros have him what ever he needed to fish, and his sponsors brought him a new rig to fish out of which was really cool.
Old 04-03-11, 09:12 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am willing to bet that each and every one of here could get a years supply of lures form just ONE of the pros stock.

the pros have a library of sorts as to what works at each lake they fish in a tourny i am sure. they will carry waht has worked for them in the past at all times for each lake. not to mention that they watch THIS thread and several others to help them along.'

you won't see them sign on as KEVIN VAN DAM, but trust me..they read this site as well as others.
Old 04-04-11, 01:11 AM   #7
M_A_C_K

Yeah my buddys brother was a pro and when he died he took just a a box full of plastics enough to last him for life... and he said it wasnt even a fraction of what he had from the companys that just sent him the stuff for free.... giant freezer bags full of berkley plastics... I'd like to be a pro when i get older lol
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 01:25 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Here is a link to a bunch of videos where top pros take you through their houses and tackle shops. http://www.basszone.com/inthehouse/main.htm
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 10:09 AM   #9
Marc David

Real cool link C-Rig
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 10:28 AM   #10
MIbasser

I would say that they take everything that they can, maybe in small doses. As weather or a pattern change they can change with it.

BUT, if you end up like Aaron Martins and forget you "square bill box" in your truck on the second day of Classic, that might suck a little....

I have a 17' 6" tackle box, and I need a bigger one!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 04:23 PM   #11
66KingFisher

I'll bet they've got half a dozen of every bait they own....lol
Old 04-04-11, 05:08 PM   #12
M_A_C_K

more than half dozen... when you have sponsors they send you giant freezer bags full of lures... and i'm not kidding
Old 04-05-11, 12:40 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Here is a link to a bunch of videos where top pros take you through their houses and tackle shops. http://www.basszone.com/inthehouse/main.htm

This link is awesome!
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 05:42 PM   #14
3dkicker

Having fished with a number of pro's, some big names and others not so much, I've found that they don't carry a whole lot on their boats during the tournament. By the time the tournament starts they've dialed in and only use a small number of baits. Most will have enough to get through the tournament but some do run out. A great thing about the guys is if one runs out others will help him and get him a bag or two or a bait or two.
Old 04-05-11, 07:07 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinanbookin View Post
So for the prefish they take everything? how do they find out wahts hot on a lake?
They're pros! They usually have a pretty good idea about what's gonna work and where the fish are gonna be. For example, if they've gotta a tourney on lake Erie, with water temps in the low 40's, and fish are holding in 40+ feet of water. They're (the pros) obviously gonna have more drop shot tackle and goby plastics baits rather than 12" swimbaits and big top waters.
Old 04-05-11, 08:06 PM   #16
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

they bring everything they need man. most bass boats have alot of tackle storage as well, whether its the trap doors in the floor or on walls and whatnot, and on top of that they have their duffle bags full of plano trays and stuff. i mean ya kinda have to bring alot of stuff, you never can really tell where the day/tourney is gonna go. and when ya think about it, most of those guys have 5-10 or more rods with them at a time also. alot of rods = alot of tackle.
Old 04-05-11, 08:16 PM   #17
M_A_C_K

legally you can't have more than 3 rods per person... unless they give a tourny exception?
Old 04-05-11, 08:27 PM   #18
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

i seeee.. im just going on what ive seen on tv lol. i see these guys with like 20 rods on their boat fishing, but i guess its not tourney fishing if there is that rule.
Old 04-05-11, 09:04 PM   #19
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_A_C_K View Post
legally you can't have more than 3 rods per person... unless they give a tourny exception?
3 in the water at one time (only trolling) but you can have more in the boat. In most tournaments (that I've been in) only one rod in the water at a time. I usually have about 14 or so in my boat.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 11:11 AM   #20
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

That's what I thought. There's pictures of these guys standin on there boats and a wide aray of lengths and action rods rainbowed at their feet. Maaaan, that's the life. LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.