Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-11, 01:47 PM   #1
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default hummingbird down imaging

does any one have 1 or has any one seen or used this, i know that they are new and was considering getting one but wanted a little feed back before i go out and buy 1. the 1 i am looking at is just the down imaging with no gps for i have 2 junk lowrances with gps, thats a whole nother issue. any feed back greatly appreciated specially from no fear and bama. and yes sideimaging is out of the picture for the price and can't justify to the ol lady on having 4 graphs on the boat
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 04:02 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigass View Post
any feed back greatly appreciated specially from no fear and bama.
You're new here, aren't you?

Just yanking your chain. I have nothing to offer to the discussion, except to advise you to head on over to bbcboards.net and look for the "Humminbird" forum. I hate directing you away from here, but there's too much info over there for me to not mention it.
Old 01-19-11, 04:27 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I don't think you can get a Humminbird with only down imagiing (DI). Lowrance just came out with a DI only unit, no 2D on that unit, DI ONLY, and I haven't seen one or know anyone that has one. Unless 'bird is comming out with changes for 2011, the only units that offer DI are the 998cSI and the 1198cSI. You're talking some serious paper for either of those two units - but you get it all, DI, SI, GPS & 2D.

I have a 'bird 798cSI and no DI on that unit, and The 898cSI doesn't have it either, both those units are Side Image, 2D and GPS. I'm new to Humminbird, so there may be something I've missed, and if I have someone will surely correct me.

NFE has an 1197cSI and can tell you exactly what that unit can do - that's an expensive piece of electronics, but he was born with a platnium stud in his navel and has more money than he could possibly spend in a week (I'm kidding, of course ). But if anyone here knows anything about the 'bird big screens, he would be the guy, so ya got that part right. 'Bama on the other hand.............................................. . I think I'll stop now.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-19-11 at 05:19 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 05:07 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Boogie is right.

Down Imaging is a bonus Huminbird added on to their side imaging units when Lowrance came out with their Downscan.

Humminbird actually hadn't considered people would even want down imaging, as they don't even have a discrete down-imaging element in their transducer, like Lowrance does. However, they were able to tweak their code so the unit combines the returns from the other elements in such a way as to produce a down image as well, that at least comes close to Lowrance's product.

You can not get Down Imaging on anything but a Side Imaging unit for this very reason.

My take on Down Imaging is, you wouldn't use it to find things, but only to further investigate things you have already found with your other types of scan. Being a straight down scan, you focus on a specific target, and try to get as much detail as you can. A school of crappie looks really amazing on a submerged tree, for instance.

I would not consider down imaging to be absolutely essential, the way I consider side imaging. Just a nice extra, as I said before.
Old 01-19-11, 05:32 PM   #5
3dkicker

The 798cSI I bought last year has the down imaging. I sometimes split it with the color graph and for me doesn't show as much detail as the color. For example schools of bait don't show as well. But when it does show hard cover it gives a better image than the color graph. Trees look like trees and color isn't as clear or defined. Might need to tweak the unit a little to get the down image to view the bait or grass better.

When using the sidescan I always have the screen split to see what's under the boat. Don't want to miss that stump or rockpile that I'm running over.
Old 01-19-11, 07:26 PM   #6
apd855
BassFishin.Com Member

The new HB 570 DI and the 597c are both down imaging only units. To get the down imaging on the 798 you just need to download and install the update from HB.

Last edited by apd855; 01-19-11 at 07:42 PM.
apd855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 07:39 PM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow...thanks for the education, ap. I did not know of that unit. I suppose it could be of some use to the 2D only fisherman.
Old 01-19-11, 07:43 PM   #8
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apd855 View Post
The new HB 570 DI and the 597c are both down imaging only units. To get the down imaging on the 798 you just need to download and install the update from HB.
Yep, new for 2011. DI only in the 500 and 700 series.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 08:53 PM   #9
walkeraviator

I like this... the Lowrance Elite Five DSI is teh same price as teh HB 597ci with downscan. But according to HB's website, their option still has 2D sonar. Maybe you guys can help me convince Dad to jump ship... he wants another lowrance, but i keep trying to get him over to the Birds...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 09:24 PM   #10
apd855
BassFishin.Com Member

I just had the best experience with HB on a repair issue, they had my unit repaired within a day and on it's way back to me. That right there makes me a HB customer for life.
apd855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 11:44 PM   #11
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have an 898 humminbird and it does have down imaging. I don't use it a lot except when I want to better understand what I am seeing on the traditional 2D view. I am still learning the system.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 09:49 PM   #12
DougV
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Humminbird has introduced a new Series of DI with Switchfire 2D Sonar Units:

570 DI: $299.99
See more of what's down there for less. Select Humminbird 500 Series models now offer best-in-class, HD screen resolution along with picture-like Down Imaging Sonar.
Timber, rocks, even fish - watch it all take shape on crystal-clear,full-color 4.5" or 5" monochrome displays. With screens that size,it's easy to take advantage of versatile DualBeam PLUS Sonar and exclusive Humminbird SwitchFire technology. We're talking a beam sensitive enough to track a jig down to 70 feet and separate fish as close as 2.5" apart. Find your way using built-in UniMap or up theante with optional Lakemaster and Navionics cartography. Get allthis technology in a convenient in-dash mount, or use our Tilt & Swivel Disconnect Mounting System. With the 500 Series, big things are bound to happen!

5" Display
640V x 320H, 16 Level Grayscale
Down Imaging.
455kHz / 86 degrees @ -10db
800kHz / 55 degrees @ -10db
Single Beam
w/ SwitchFire.
200kHz / 20 degrees @ -10db
Depth: 250ft (DI), 1000 ft
2400 W (PTP), 300 W (RMS)

596c HD DI Combo: $549.99
See more of what's down there for less. Select Humminbird 500 Series models now offer best-in-class, HD screen resolution along with picture-like Down Imaging Sonar.
Timber, rocks, even fish - watch it all take shape on crystal-clear,full-color 4.5" or 5" monochrome displays. With screens that size,it's easy to take advantage of versatile DualBeam PLUS Sonar and exclusive Humminbird SwitchFire technology. We're talking a beam sensitive enough to track a jig down to 70 feet and separate fish as close as 2.5" apart. Find your way using built-in UniMap or up theante with optional Lakemaster and Navionics cartography. Get allthis technology in a convenient in-dash mount, or use our Tilt & Swivel Disconnect Mounting System. With the =500 Series, big things are bound to happen!

5" Display
640V x 640H, 256 Color
Down Imaging
Single Beam w/ SwitchFire

597ci HD DI Combo: $649.99
Timber, rocks, even fish - watch it all take shape on crystal-clear,full-color 4.5" or 5" monochrome displays. With screens that size,it's easy to take advantage of versatile DualBeam PLUS Sonar and exclusive Humminbird SwitchFire technology. We're talking a beam sensitive enough to track a jig down to 70 feet and separate fish as close as 2.5" apart. Find your way using built-in UniMap or up theante with optional Lakemaster and Navionics cartography. Get allthis technology in a convenient in-dash mount, or use our Tilt & Swivel Disconnect Mounting System. With the 500 Series, big things are bound to happen!

5" Display
640V x 640H, 256 Color
Down Imaging
4000 W (PTP), 500 W (RMS)
50 Channel GPS
Humminbird UniMap
Single SD Card Slot

788ci HD DI Combo: $799.99
For crystal-clear results even in the murkiest water, reach for the powerhouse, High Definition Humminbird 700 Series, featuring a 5" diagonal screen, amazing 640V x 640H pixel clarity and unbeatable color and contrast. Packed to the gills with technology, this high-resolution fishfinder boasts an array of advanced features that will have you on the fish in no time.
With exclusive Humminbird SwitchFire, Side Imaging and Down Imaging Technology, you have more fishfinding options than ever. SwitchFire Sonar lets you choose your underwater view, see every detail or just the returns you want. It's the first sonar that adapts with your fishing conditions.Programmable preset buttons put your favorite views at your fingertips,and dual card slots provide top-notch flexibility on the water. Mount it in-dash, or with our Tilt & Swivel Quick Disconnect Mounting System. Connect to another Humminbird fishfinder for sharing of sonar, GPS and waypoints at blazing Ethernet speeds. There's no doubt: the 700 Series brings it all into focus.

5" Display
640V x 640H, 256 Color
Down Imaging
800kHz/55 degrees @ -10db
Depth: 250ft (DI) / 1000 ft
4000 W (PTP), 500 W (RMS)
50 Channel GPS
Humminbird ContourXD
Dual SD Card Slots /Upgradeable Software

DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-11, 09:33 PM   #13
TritonTR175DC
BassFishin.Com Member

Anyone use the 570DI ? I was thinking about getting to use on my trolling motor.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.