Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-09, 01:29 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Game plan for a first timer.

so i meet up with a couple friends friday night that i havent seen in months and months
and that number #1 question comes up:
''so what'cha been up too lately?''
I crack that half drunk grin and tell them ''fishing....lots of fishing''

later on, one my buddy tells me he's never even held a fishing pole ,nor has ever been fishing.....and he was interested in trying.

so we just made plans for this saturday morning to hit up my pond....Im thinking for his first time,ill take my two spinning rigs,and we'll just use nightcrawlers and bobbers for the first 2 hour or so ,and load up my livewell with some fat bluegill....just to make sure he catches a ton of fish,and has a good time.....after awhile,i might see how he feels about trying some lures and plastics and slowly introduce him into bass fishing and techniques....since this pond is great for learning just about everything.

thats the plan thus far.....never took anyone ,besides my wife, fishing for the first time,so im pretty excited about it.
(because my wife didnt care for it)

like i said,my main goal is that he has a good time and catches his first fish....i know the bluegills,rockbass,and perch are a sure bet....

how does that sound?
Old 09-14-09, 01:55 PM   #2
cassidyta

Sounds like dinner at your place to me. 2 hours of sunfish makes for a good cook out.
It should be fun.
Old 09-14-09, 02:29 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Sounds like dinner at your place to me. 2 hours of sunfish makes for a good cook out.
It should be fun.
whats even funnier is that was kinda my plan for saturday morning anyways....i hadnt fished for sunfish in probably over 7 years.....and with the skunkings ive been getting lately.....i just wanna go ''pop'' a bunch of fish out and make a snack
Old 09-16-09, 04:15 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Do folks really eat sunfish?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 04:17 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
i eat bluegill like a ba$terd
Old 09-16-09, 04:26 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post

Heck yeah. We would eat the heck out of some sunfish on our church camping/fishing trips.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 05:06 PM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hard to beat bream & bluegill batter fried with hushpuppies & cheese grits.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 05:36 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Hard to beat bream & bluegill batter fried with hushpuppies & cheese grits.
We batter-fried them too. We had cheese grits too but no hushpuppies. I'm going to try and start a small fishing group at the new church I go to down here in Prattville. One that goes camping (tents) and fishing. The only problem is finding a good public camping site with decent bank fishing. There is a place called Gunter Hill Park but I don't think it has good bank fishing. I'm going to go check it out this afternoon if the rain decides to quit.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 08:37 PM   #9
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
We batter-fried them too. We had cheese grits too but no hushpuppies. I'm going to try and start a small fishing group at the new church I go to down here in Prattville. One that goes camping (tents) and fishing. The only problem is finding a good public camping site with decent bank fishing. There is a place called Gunter Hill Park but I don't think it has good bank fishing. I'm going to go check it out this afternoon if the rain decides to quit.

I wish I had a good suggestion but I don't. Someone from your church may have a more private option.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:11 PM   #10
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up Great approach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
.....after awhile,i might see how he feels about trying some lures and plastics and slowly introduce him into bass fishing and techniques....since this pond is great for learning just about everything.......
like i said,my main goal is that he has a good time and catches his first fish....i know the bluegills,rockbass,and perch are a sure bet....

how does that sound?
I think you guys are gonna have a lot of fun. I'd suggest rigging at least one pole with some type of surface bass bait, assuming that you are implying the fish are pretty cooperative. After you all catch enough sunnies for dinner, can you think of anything more fun for a newbie than to finish off the time with a couple of surface strikes?
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 04:23 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
I think you guys are gonna have a lot of fun. I'd suggest rigging at least one pole with some type of surface bass bait, assuming that you are implying the fish are pretty cooperative. After you all catch enough sunnies for dinner, can you think of anything more fun for a newbie than to finish off the time with a couple of surface strikes?
i have no luck on this pond with top waters.....i sling em every time too.
but i was thinking of letting him throw a popper as his first lure....so he can see his presentation and work the retrieve.
its been raining for 1.5 weeks striaght...tomorrow is suppose to be no rain but alot of overcast and mid to low 80's.....so should be a muddy mess of good times!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.