Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-09, 07:24 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Meeting people while fishing

Always seems like whenever I meet someone on the lake or at the launch, they are really good people. They never seem to care about an age difference, lifestyle difference or anything else. Fishing just seems to be one of those few, and getting fewer, things that bring people together.

Just the other day, I really started thinkin about this.

2 weekends ago, I pulled into the launch at Cedar Hedge and there was an older couple puttering around, readying their boat for the water. They ended up givin me cuts since they had to use the bathroom before they went out lol.
This last weekend, I ran into them again, again pulling up behind them at the launch. this time at Dubonnet.

Opened up the doors on the mini van to get the boat ready (it rides in the back lol) and the guy says "You were on Cedar Hedge last weekend". We got to chattin and I gave him advice on where to fish Dubonnet, since it was his 2nd time there.

This couple was in their 60s and here's Mallen with a shaved head and tattoos and it just didn't matter. Hopefully I'll run into them again
Old 08-24-09, 08:16 PM   #2
DonaldBreland

Awwwww. Mallen is a nice guy after all. lol
Old 08-25-09, 04:26 PM   #3
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
Awwwww. Mallen is a nice guy after all. lol
Yeah, but I play a tough guy on TV
Old 08-25-09, 05:29 PM   #4
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know exactly what you're talking about. it seems that anglers are always laid back carefree nice people. even my dad has noticed it... he first pointed out to me the friendliness after fishing with Reacon (where he been anyway?) and then again after the northeast get together. You can even tell the personalities from anglers on this board, really
Old 08-25-09, 06:55 PM   #5
keithdog

Mallen, I have to relate a story to you about what happened to me last sunday. It's so similar to yours. I had been fishing Flint Lake near my home that morning. About 1:00 in the afternoon I decided to call it a day. However I was waitting for an older couple who were launching what must have been the original rowboat they have had since they got married. Boy was it an oldie. Anyways, the husband was gone for quite some time after dumping the boat out the back of his pickup truck looking for a place to park. The wife was casting away at the launch waitting for his return while I was waitting for him also so they could clear the launch so I could back the trailer up into the water. After 30 minutes I went ahead and beached my jonboat next to theirs and began talking to his wife. Both were in their mid 70's. Well, the hubby finally returned and he and I started talking about fishing, about the lake and he asked how I had done that morning. So we talked and shared some stories. When he asked me what I caught the bass on that day I told him that they were hitting a Jitterbug early. Well, did that ever bring the old man to life. He's like yellin "a jitterbug??? a black jitterbug???". I laughed and said yes, and boy oh boy did that get him excited. He started tellin me story after story about his catching bass on the black jitterbug. "It has to be black" he told me. He looked at my rods and saw it hanging there and got so excited. He said, "thats the best damn bass lure in this lake! I've been using that lure since I was a boy". "I didn't know anyone still use them", he said. Then he's tellin his wife about what I caught them on and then proceeded to tell me story after story about his conquests with a black jitterbug. Then he told me he was so happy to run into me. Imagine that, just my using a jitterbug completely made this old mans day. But it was soooo very cool and even though he held me up by a good hour, I enjoyed every minute listening to his stories and watching him get more and more excited. And even though the fishing was slow that day, it's a day I won't forget because of just running into this old man and his wife. I really hope I run into him again one day.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 07:15 PM   #6
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Yeah, but I play a tough guy on TV
Yea-- BARNEY FIFE.
Old 08-26-09, 11:08 AM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'll never forget the time in June of '04 when I was on the public fishing pier on Lake Michigan here in Winthrop Harbor with 25 - 30 mph winds from the north, so the pier was empty. I was at the end of the pier casting to where the waves were crashing into the rocks. I got a bite every cast! An older feller walked down to ask what I was using. I explained that after breaking off a baby bass Bomber, I'd tied on an old Rapala that I'd found, a pike broke that off, and I was now swimming a grub and getting them. I offered to let him use one of my rods, but he said he never used anything but closed-faced spinning reels. He leaves and about a half hour later shows up with a rod and reel combo, some hooks, some nightcrawlers, two brats, two root beers, and a huge plate of cheese fries from the hot dog stand. Unfortunately, the combo he bought was a real piece of junk from the gas station, with line that snapped as he tried to cinch down a knot. It took some convincing to get him to try my spinning reel, his concern being that in the past he'd get the line all wrapped up in the reel all the time and he didn't want to ruin my line. I took the handle off the left side and put it on the right and it made it more comfortable for him. He would start laughing so hard every time he'd get one on, it was absolutely infectious. He and I had the best fishing day of our lives together. As we were leaving, I asked him to please keep the rod and reel (it was just a $40 combo), but he said he had plenty at home in Tennessee. He was up here because his brother had passed away. I got his number and invited him and his wife to come over for dinner that night.

The thing is, I'm a punk rocker. I had a blue mohawk with a rat tatooed on the left side of my skull, spiked bracelet, rock t-shirt, and combat boots. He was a 70 year old southerner.
Old 08-26-09, 12:40 PM   #8
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Now only if the rest of the world would have the same mentality as us Anglers.....the world would be a better place.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 02:06 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
This couple was in their 60s and here's Mallen with a shaved head and tattoos and it just didn't matter. Hopefully I'll run into them again
Why? Because this time, he'll be ready with his handcuffs, chainsaw, and he'll have his trunk cleaned out.
Old 08-26-09, 02:37 PM   #10
DonaldBreland

thats funny nofear. I think of him as a charles manson type too. But liek charles manson he will have us there doing the killing.lol
Old 08-26-09, 02:41 PM   #11
DonaldBreland

Patrick that was a good story. Its people like yourself that takes that bad boy image away from people of different cultures. Just goes to show we all have hearts and there is nothing like bass fishermen. Thanks for sharing and God Bless.
Old 08-26-09, 06:45 PM   #12
keithdog

Great story Patrick. Glad you took the time to share it. I bet he told his version of the story many times over when he got back to Tennessee.
Old 08-26-09, 08:18 PM   #13
woody

These are all great stories.

It sure is amazing how fishing brings out the good in people.

I sure wish we could all figure it out and take it back home with us.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 08:33 PM   #14
keithdog

Tell ya what Woody, how about we get all the world leaders together for a week long fishin trip. I'm not sure about any good in some of them, but it's sure worth a try.
Old 08-26-09, 08:35 PM   #15
brushhog

I agree for the most part, but I have to say recently I have run into more slobs who leave there trash behind, unnecessarily tear up the shoreline, and generally make a mess. It is disheartening to see and my children and I are getting sick of picking up some of our favorite spots.
Old 08-26-09, 09:13 PM   #16
MallenManson

So many to reply to, so little time lol

Keith and PK Jr- Awesome stories! Really amazing what can happen by accident and really be memorable while fishing

sac- couldn't agree more!!!!!

nofear- mini vans don't have trunks

donald-you are now one of my minions (for those of you scratchin your head, that's not a minced onion)

brushhog- that's a serious sore spot with me as well. It takes quite the slob to throw their styrofoam crawler box in the weed or the lake doesn't it? good God, even the fast food restaurants cared enough about the environment to do away with styrofoam, you would certainly think fisherman could do the same. There's a spot on the lake I've been fishing alot lately that has all kinds of junk laying around on the shore.
Kinda makes me feel like that Indian with the tear on his face as he's picking up people's trash. Trivia time! He wasn't an Indian. Native American I suppose I should say.
Old 08-26-09, 10:37 PM   #17
DonaldBreland

Minion may refer to:

* Minion is a term used by the actor Misha Collins who stars as the angel Castiel in CW’s hit show Supernatural, to describe the followers of his twitter account. They in turn refer to themselves as Misha’s Minions’.[1]http://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/1789720465 http://mishasminions.webs.com/
* Minion is a term for favourites or protégés, especially those of a monarch or prince at a royal court. Unlike a henchman or lackey, although of subordinate rank to his patron a minion is likely to be of noble birth or to be raised to the nobility, and is more of a companion and confidant to him than a servant or bodyguard.
* A fictional role; see henchman.
* A constraint solver: see Minion (solver).
* A typeface: see Minion (typeface).
* A minion (cannon), a type of cannon with a small bore during the 16th and 17th centuries.
* Minion (film), a film by WWE Films starring the wrestler Minion.
* Minion (comics), a DC Comics superhero who was a member of the Teen Titans.
* Minion (ship), a ship sailed to North America in 1536 by British explorers, including Hore, Daubeney and Waad.
* Minions, Cornwall, a village in the United Kingdom.
I just wanted people to know what a minion was lol.
Old 08-26-09, 10:56 PM   #18
keithdog

hahahaha, thanks for the info Donald. Learn somethin new everyday.
Old 08-27-09, 12:44 AM   #19
DonaldBreland

That one was brought to you by Advil. You need to take two before reading a MallenManson Post. lol.
Old 08-27-09, 12:57 PM   #20
zooker

Quote:
That one was brought to you by Advil. You need to take two before reading a MallenManson Post. lol.

no kidding..

at least it was not the "transparnet like a house" post but close..

zooker
Old 08-27-09, 05:23 PM   #21
MallenManson

Quote:
Minion may refer to:

* Minion is a term used by the actor Misha Collins who stars as the angel Castiel in CW’s hit show Supernatural, to describe the followers of his twitter account. They in turn refer to themselves as Misha’s Minions’.[1]http://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/1789720465 http://mishasminions.webs.com/
* Minion is a term for favourites or protégés, especially those of a monarch or prince at a royal court. Unlike a henchman or lackey, although of subordinate rank to his patron a minion is likely to be of noble birth or to be raised to the nobility, and is more of a companion and confidant to him than a servant or bodyguard.
* A fictional role; see henchman.
* A constraint solver: see Minion (solver).
* A typeface: see Minion (typeface).
* A minion (cannon), a type of cannon with a small bore during the 16th and 17th centuries.
* Minion (film), a film by WWE Films starring the wrestler Minion.
* Minion (comics), a DC Comics superhero who was a member of the Teen Titans.
* Minion (ship), a ship sailed to North America in 1536 by British explorers, including Hore, Daubeney and Waad.
* Minions, Cornwall, a village in the United Kingdom.
I just wanted people to know what a minion was lol.

There was a wrestler named Minion? Who was his puppet master?
Old 08-27-09, 05:24 PM   #22
MallenManson

Quote:
...and 3 after.....
Old 08-27-09, 05:25 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
no kidding..

at least it was not the "transparnet like a house" post but close..

zooker

I must have missed that one...have anything to do with people who shouldn't throw stones?
Old 08-27-09, 05:39 PM   #24
MississippiBoy

Oh, c'mon Mallen, don't tell me you missed the ENTIRE CCbass debacle? Here's what Zook was referring to...if you don't scratch your head at least once and say "What the ______ was he talking about?" while reading this thread, you're not really trying.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=19528

"Transparent house" starts on page 2...
Old 08-27-09, 05:49 PM   #25
Bassboss

That's really cool mallen!

I was once fishing and this older guy (50's) comes fishing with his young kids. He leaves them to breamin' and starts bass fishing, walking around the lake 'till he gets to me! We chat, learn a little from each other, and pretty much become friends. We still meet up some times fishing!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.